Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've lost 20lbs in four weeks. Even though I hope that I'll wake up 120lbs one morning I know that there is no way that I would have lost 20lbs in 4 weeks on my own. I try not to be disappointed because of the slowness as it's one of the reasons I chose the band and not gastric bypass.

It would have taken me months and months to lose that kind of weight. So...no...I don't regret it and I don't think that it was a waste of time or a bad decision. I know that I would have been unhappy with gastric bypass and constantly fearful that I was going to fall ill. Now...I know that I have to get off my butt and use the band to my advantage.

Good luck!

not at all. The band isn't going to make me thin, I will make me thin, the bend will only help. It's a tool, not a solution. I'm still going to have to work hard.

I know exactly why and my loss has not been slow by any means! I am very happy with my progress. BUT as others have said it is not a quick fix but a tool to change my life. I use it everyday.

It is so worth it! I've lost 47 lbs in just a little more than 3 onths. In the past, I've struggled with losing more than 30 lbs...I always seemed to hit a plateau at around 30 lbs, and then I would get frustrated and give up. I expect the weight loss to slow down, and I'm fine if that happens b/c I know that things are different now. I have the tool I need to succed this time.

I've had insanely slow weight loss as well but there are so many behavioral, physiological, and environmental contributing factors that I can't just come out and say "the surgery wasn't worth it" without tweaking/ruling out all of those influences.

Despite a low 20lb weight loss over 6 months, I can say that I am still 100% better off than I would be without the surgery. At the very least, my band has put the brakes on my consistent weight gain. Without it, I would invariably weigh much more than I do now.

In the future, it's possible that I'll see that the band may not have been the best option for my optimal weight loss, but I maintain that I made the best, most logical decision I could at the time. Compared to others, some may consider me a current failure--but I'm not ready to give up on myself or the band just yet. My weight loss journey may be different than others, but perhaps no less successful years from now.

What do you consider slow? I've lost 28 in a month, 34 including the week pre-surgery (without consciously dieting). Everyone is different.

Most people trying to lose weight will lose between 1-3 pounds a week, which is generally considered pretty good. Considering each pound is about 3500 calories (give or take, I know it's not exact), that's a difference of 500 - 1500 calorie deficit PER DAY. Looking at that, 1-3 pounds is pretty good.

If it helps, look at it in a larger (no pun intended) scale: using the above, the average would be 2 pounds per week or .285 pounds per day.

Stay with me on this: .285 pounds per day sounds like nothing, but is the same as 8.55 pounds per month, which is the same as 102.6 pounds per year.

It took all of us a hell of a lot longer than 1 year to gain and keep the excess we're carrying, so why does it seem insurmountable to lose weight on a steady basis and shed 100 pounds in a year?

I realize that everyone is different and that not everyone will have a banner week every week. The point is that slow and steady = lifelong good habits, health, and success.

Keep your chin up, follow your doctor's orders, and watch what you are eating (yes, calories, fat, and bad carbs still count on the band!).

You can do this.

My lap band has been worth it's weight in gold to me (and more, actually, since it doesn't weigh very much)! I haven't been this weight for more than 15 years, and I'm loving it - even though I still have a long way to go, I know that the band has been the tool that has helped me actually stay on a diet long enough to loose this much! It keeps me from feeling like I'm starving myself, meanwhile, I have learned new eating habits, and am exercising more, and doing things that I haven't been able to in years and year.

Not one regret here! (except that I didn't do this many, many years ago)

I know it seems slow at first but when you get good restriction WOW! I have lost 72 lbs since my band in January. I know for me without my band I most likely would not even still be dieting if I started in January! I know me! :) This has been the best tool for losing weight I have found yet:) Hang in there!!!!!

good job.. how do you feel. i have soo many ???. i am getting band on june 19. i so feel in my heart that is it worth.. so nice to have someone else share my hopes...:)

The band is the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I have tried dieting over and over and would successfully get about 30 pounds of then crash and gain it back. Now, with the band I have lost 43 pounds and keeping it off. I love my band it is changing my life, I feel healthier , look better and workout regularly at a gym now. My band is a tool and with its help I can now achieve success in getting this weight off permanently.

I didn't put all this weight on over night and I am in it for the long haul to get it off.

Hang in there!!! Keep your chin up and move those legs as often as you can.

Hugs

Paula

I am in the process of considering the lap-band. Unfortunately my insurance carrier doesn't recognize my humanity because I am obese; they do not cover weight loss surgery even when deemed 'medically necessary'.

I am really full of apprehension right now because I am going to be out $17,000.00 for the surgery and I'm not sure if I will be satisfied with slow weight loss. I am really afraid of that happening. :)

Laurinda,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you, but I noticed you are from Jacksonville, FL which is where I am from. Hopefully you don't mind me asking, but how much weight are you attempting to lose? Myself, I have close to 200 lbs to lose...

Now that i'm halfway there it's been very slow, even if i exercise alot and eat the right food. I think i've lost around 11lbs in 3 months now that i'm halfway there.

I'm not really impatient and in a hurry, i know that i eat alot less than pre-surgery and i'm exercising plenty(started jogging) so i know i'll eventually get there :drool:

I'm just so happy that the lap-band changed my lifestyle completely!