Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on 6/12 so today is 4 days post op. I feel like I have no energy and am dizzy and light headed. I have drank a Protein Shake and a cup of green tea this morning. Is this normal? What is zapping all of my energy and making me dizzy?

Hi, i was banded the 11th, and i also feel crappy. i have been sleeping alot, having trouble getting the Protein down, feels like a lump in my chest. just generally weak. Hope things soon feel better. So you are not alone. take care. Judy

I had surgery on 6/12 so today is 4 days post op. I feel like I have no energy and am dizzy and light headed. I have drank a Protein shake and a cup of green tea this morning. Is this normal? What is zapping all of my energy and making me dizzy?

The fact that you just had surgery! Your body is using your energy to heal.

Avoid sugary drinks and be sure you have enough fluids going in, and you should feel fine in a couple more days.

drink A Lot Of Fluids, Preferably Water.you Can Also Drink Some Gatorade And Vitamin Water, But Don't Over Do It These drinks Have A Lot Of Sugar So Limit On How Much You Drink. Also Start Drinking liquid vitamins To Get The Energy Back That Your Body Is Using To Recover.

jdrocks...you shouldn't have much trouble getting any liquids down. You were just banded, you have no restrictions. Then again every one is different. Maybe you should liquefy your Protein Drinks more.

Hi:

I was banded 6/5/08. I stll feel crappy. If I go outside and the heat hits me I feel like I am going to pass out. I was so sure that this was a good thing. I am wondering if I made the right decision now. I start burning up and then freezing, I have even gotten out the electric blanket. I don;t have a fever, I don't know what's going on. I called my doctor, the don't seem concerned.

I can only have 2 oz of food 3 times a day, plus liquids and 3 Protein drinks. I figure I am getting under 600 calories a day. I wonder if this is the problem. What is your beginning diet? I would like to compare.:confused2:

I didn't find that the reduced calories gave me any problems, but too much sugar does. If you are doing gatorade, try G2 instead. Some Protein powders have a lot of carbs; look for ones that don't--they are out there. I was actually surprised how I could survive on such a small amount of food. It made me realize how much we all overfeed ourselves. Otherwise, like I said before, you just had surgery, and it takes a long time for your body to recover from the invasion. Check your Vitamin and protein levels--my nutritionist said at least 30 grams of protein a day. If that means you are sipping Protein Shakes all day long, then that's what you have to do.

You probably need Protein. And drink Water. I got dizzy pre-op due to lack of protein.

Since I Am Only 5 Days Out, I Am Doing Pro. drinks 3 X Day And Drinking Water, Popsicles, Jello (sf), I Am Thinking The Lump In My Chest Is Gas. Took Gas X, Alittle Relief.. I Think Slim Fast Is Fine If Your Dr. Ordered That. We Had An Option Of Slim Fast(carb Control), Ins. Br. Or Any Pr. Drink, With Low Carbs, And Fts. And High Pro..

Hey. I was banded on the 13th. I feel ya! I am tired and light-headed too. I made a batch of 1/10 Oj to 9/10 Water to drink. I get a litte sugar with each drink- just enough to keep my BS stable. It seems to be helping.

Also, I need to listen to my body when it asks for rest. In my case, it is a nap every 2-3 hours. I drop like a rock!

We are in the healing mode! When I had my gall bladder out, I felt pretty bad for about a month, so I am asuming it will be the same for this.

Good luck!

KatW

I had surgery on 6/12 so today is 4 days post op. I feel like I have no energy and am dizzy and light headed. I have drank a Protein shake and a cup of green tea this morning. Is this normal? What is zapping all of my energy and making me dizzy?

Hello there! I was also banded on the 12th so I know exactly what you mean. My advice to you would be to make sure you are drinking enough Water because if you are not then you could be de-hydrated, which could be making you dizzy and lightheaded. Also, if you can, try and walk around as much as you can and definitely practice your breathing because I just found out last night after 7 hours in the ER that I picked up pneumonia. If you continue to feel lightheaded and dizzy, I'd suggest taking dramamamine, an over the counter drug for dizziness, lightheadness, and nausea. They come in orange flavored chewables and work well!

Good luck to you and hang in there! :biggrin:

Edited by belladolce

the dehydrated thing is right on the money... when i was banded 4-days out i felt like i couldnt move.. I was just sitting starring into space like i was on drugs or something.. I had realized that i had not eaten or drank any normal amounts of Fluid in like 4 1/2 days... which was leading to severe dehydration.. however My mother came to me in a vision... and advised me to drink some sugar Water to give me some strength back... because i didnt have any of the other drinks and water wasen't doing it... that may not be for everyone but it worked for me... one thing i will say is when u are dehydrated on a sever side your eyes start to get sunken in and your skin feels tight... and then your feel light headed and dizzy and prehaps will faint... I would suggest drinking some ice tea w/splenda if u have some because u need to get your fluid intake in somewhere....and look at yourself in the mirror u can tell when u close your eyes if your eye balls are sticking out further or if your eyelids are tighter than normal... u are in the stages of dehydration...

I was banded on May 20th, and started feeling extremely light-headed and dizzy the couple weeks after surgery. I found out from my doc that I had low Iron (which many women do....) and that the surgery had made my iron even lower. I started eating ALOT more green leafy veggies and drinking low-cal electrolite drinks and felt much better. IT MAY NOT BE YOUR Protein INTAKE. See your doctor and let them decide what's going on.

I was banded on May 7th. I was extremely dizzy after 4 days. It turned out to be my blood pressure was real low. They had me stop my blood pressure pills and what a difference. Surgery takes a toll on you. Everyones suggestions are good. I love this website.