Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have had lots of major cardiac problems so I was excited when my cardiologist said he would support me if I wanted to do the lap band. But I am confused. On the support forum everyone talks about how hard it is. And my question is - is it really any easier than regular Weight Watchers? Because I have failed at that for over 30 years, so if it isn't easier after the banding I don't know if this will work. I don't drink alcohol or wine or milkshakes, and I prefer low fat ice cream, but i do like to eat alot and often. I don't eat fried foods hardly ever- bread is a big problem- I can eat a half a loaf at a sitting. Will banding help with them?

It is easier, you will probably still "fail" at Weight Watchers in that you will break out, you will indulge in the wrong foods occasionally etc. But with a band, a breakout is hardly anything and you just get right back on track so much more easily. With a band you might fight head hunger but you're not fighting physical hunger to the same degree.

It is possible to not lose weight with a band but for many many many people, even if they did nothing other than get banded, they would lose. It depends on your habits I guess, but really, I couldnt help losing weight, its been me that's driven it to the point of me losing 120% of my excess but I lost the first probably 70% without even really trying - I ate less bad foods and exercised regularly and let the band take care of the portions, that's ALL and it was easy. Since then, I had to work a bit more to get the rest off, but to maintain, I just eat what I want, when I want. And I still run regularly.

It is easier, you will probably still "fail" at Weight Watchers in that you will break out, you will indulge in the wrong foods occasionally etc. But with a band, a breakout is hardly anything and you just get right back on track so much more easily. With a band you might fight head hunger but you're not fighting physical hunger to the same degree.

It is possible to not lose weight with a band but for many many many people, even if they did nothing other than get banded, they would lose. It depends on your habits I guess, but really, I couldnt help losing weight, its been me that's driven it to the point of me losing 120% of my excess but I lost the first probably 70% without even really trying - I ate less bad foods and exercised regularly and let the band take care of the portions, that's ALL and it was easy. Since then, I had to work a bit more to get the rest off, but to maintain, I just eat what I want, when I want. And I still run regularly.

Sometimes I eat just because I am bored. Or I don't stop even when I feel full. Will the band help with any of that? when I feel really stuffed- like last night- I don't keep eating

I am new to the band, but I've had mine for 2.5 weeks. I didn't exercise at all before the band and ate horriblly. In fact, I gained about 15 pounds before surgery! I can recall feeling full and eating more!

The band has changed everything for me. Now that I'm feeling better, I've started exercising everyday! (I never did that before) And, I'm making better choices. I've slipped up a few times since surgery. We all do and will, but you have to forgive yourself and keep going.

My husband has heart issues and he will be banded July 3rd! He struggles with a lot of what you describe. I know that the band will change him because I've exerienced what it has done for me!

I've not had a fill yet, but the band does help me to limit my portion sizes. I'm learning not to eat till I'm busting, but to eat until the hunger is satisfied.

Good luck!

Have had lots of major cardiac problems so I was excited when my cardiologist said he would support me if I wanted to do the lap band. But I am confused. On the support forum everyone talks about how hard it is. And my question is - is it really any easier than regular Weight Watchers? Because I have failed at that for over 30 years, so if it isn't easier after the banding I don't know if this will work. I don't drink alcohol or wine or milkshakes, and I prefer low fat ice cream, but i do like to eat alot and often. I don't eat fried foods hardly ever- bread is a big problem- I can eat a half a loaf at a sitting. Will banding help with them?

I have been a WW person for many years, I would be successful for quite awhile then, fall off the wagon and put it all back on. I don't think as long as you stay on track with your fills, that unless you eat ice cream or shakes nonstop you could possibly gain that much back. Sure you might plateau, but hopefully you would regroup and move on. The thing about not having the band... by the time I would get it together to try again, I would have to lose the same 20 pounds I just had lost prior, get discouraged and give up!

My doctor said he doesn't care if you do WW, Jenny Craig etc... just keep it under 1200 cal and walk walk walk!! So you could use your WW post op and do points if your more comfortable with that.

I too am a bread freak, I find it harder and harder to eat it. I have switched to wasa bread. (Like a big cracker) to put things on. I really can't get too many carbs in when I eat the Protein that I'm supposed to.

Hope this is helpful:biggrin2:

Tess

i am really glad to hear this. i am booked for the end of july and my surgeon advised that there would be no counting points, calories or the like - that the band would take care of portion sizes (once it was filled and restricting properly). ww, with its points system makes me feel incredibly deprived and food focused. i want the band so that i can be satisfied with less food. if i binge on Cookies and am full after 5 rather than 25 Cookies, the band will have been worth it.

The band won't stop you from eating when you're bored, but it will limit the amount you eat. It will definitely stop you from eating when you are full. You get unpleasant consequences from eating too much, and it cures you of the desire to keep going when you are full. A couple of episodes of puking the excess back up pretty much cured me.

We went out to lunch for Mexican food today, and I ordered a chile relleno and a side of Beans. I ate half the relleno and 1/4 of the Beans. Before my band, I would have ordered a big combination plate and eaten it all.

The band won't stop you from eating when you're bored, but it will limit the amount you eat. It will definitely stop you from eating when you are full. You get unpleasant consequences from eating too much, and it cures you of the desire to keep going when you are full. A couple of episodes of puking the excess back up pretty much cured me.

We went out to lunch for Mexican food today, and I ordered a chile relleno and a side of Beans. I ate half the relleno and 1/4 of the Beans. Before my band, I would have ordered a big combination plate and eaten it all.

Thank goodness- I was starting to panic reading some of those letters about how hard it all was- I mean I don't expect to have to nothing- I am actually looking forward to feeling better and exercising- but the way some of the letters read I was starting to think that there would never be an end to the endless yoyo cycle. Truthfully, my problem is much more quantity, as opposed to eating badly. So I am hopeful that this will be the answer. Thanks for the encouragement- and good luck to you too.

i am really glad to hear this. i am booked for the end of july and my surgeon advised that there would be no counting points, calories or the like - that the band would take care of portion sizes (once it was filled and restricting properly). ww, with its points system makes me feel incredibly deprived and food focused. i want the band so that i can be satisfied with less food. if i binge on Cookies and am full after 5 rather than 25 cookies, the band will have been worth it.

I can't make it more than 4 hours on Weight watchers- I get so focused on points and food that by lunch I have used up my points for the day, and I am a person that doesn't like to eat early in the day normally. But the minute you tell me I can't have a lot of X, all I want is X and X and more X

Welcome! That's the reason I'm going for the band as well. My portion sizes and the fact that I'm hungry all the time. I too can lose the weight but not keep it off. I am also starting to have health problems and I don't want those to get worse, and hopefully they'll go away! I also have a 2 year old and a husband that I want to be around for for a long time. I'm having a hard time keeping up with my DD and the thought of us getting in the public pool at the high school for her mommy and me classes later in July sends me just about into a panic. Used to be you couldn't get me out of a pool when I was younger. Twenty years and 110lbs later and I don't even want to be near a pool! I'm planning to have all of that change after banding!! Best wishes to you!

Eating for non hunger reasons was my main problem and still is. This hunger everyone speaks of before banding - I never had it. I never went long enough without eating to GET hungry! In fact I feel true hunger more often now with the band than I did before.

For me, the effect is slight, I cant really notice it, but the band does stop me doing so much in between meal eating. I have a rule for myself, 3 meals a day, that's it, no Snacks, precisely because I am a boredom eater. Without physical hunger, I can recognise my urge to eat as boredom, I do something else to take my mind off it, and handle it that way. I always feel like I just ate anyway because my meal stays with me longer, so I feel noticeably satisfied.

If I do give in and indulge in some boredom eating, or do the before dinner nuts and wine thing or whatever diet rule I break, well, I cant eat my dinner. If I have cake and coffee with a friend mid morning, I wont be able to eat lunch. Not ideal nutritionally but it does keep the calories in check.

The band definitely helps with that type of eating, its really hard to define how, but it does.

Hello! I'm new to this thread and I've only gotten as far as the seminar. My first appointment is July 10th and I can't wait. I'm still researching, reading, reading. I think it's good to read all different threads but some are just about complaining. I'm not into that and yes it is scary to read so many negative stories. When it's just one after the other, I just bow out and check out another thread. This one is great. Already I've been calmed also by some comments. I've also gone to WW years ago and 5-6 times since the 80's but always gain back more than I lost. I am a healthy food eater, not a frequent binger but I eat often and not just when I'm hungry. I feel, like someone said, that you HAVE to loose with the band. I can't imagine not with the amount of food you'll be able to eat and that feels good. Good luck to all of you and keep us posted on all your progress. Email me if you want at

jejme@sbcglobal.net :)

Edited by gottaluvme

I feel encouraged. Just having surgery is a major risk for me because of my heart, so to undergo that risk and still struggle so much with weight loss would not make much sense.

The best advice I can give to anybody is do it before you have a heart attack. I am overweight - about 100 pounds away from a size 4, about 70 pounds from a size 10, so you do not need to be 200 pounds overweight to have this happen to you. It might have been the phen-fen (or something like it) which I took about 18 years ago to lose weight with a somewhat shady doctor, it might have been genetics, but dragging around the 100 extra pounds couldn't have helped. Initial seminar June 25th. Dr. Kini, Mount Sinai, NYC. Have my fingers crossed all goes well.