Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay - Did you pay for the extended coverage??

The girl called me from my doctor's office to tell me about an extended coverage plan I could purchase that covers complications (band erosion, port flip, band slip). It's almost $1000 for a year and about $1300 for 18 months. I really don't have the money, but at the same time, don't have the money for later on if the complications occur. Anyone have any advice or had to make this decision? Thanks in advance for any help!!

I am self-pay and I wasn't offered a plan like that. Much as I would have hated to spend even more money, I would have seriously considered purchasing that coverage.

In the beginning of my process I was really torn between gastric bypass surgery and lap band surgery. Eventually I got scared off of bypass surgery because it seemed so much more drastic to me than lap band and I was concerned about complications.... especially being self-pay (I thought of it as drastic bypass). I was afraid if I went the bypass route and then had complications, it could potentially bankrupt me.

I still will struggle financially if I have complications with the lap band, but I felt the odds were more in my favor with the lap band.

Then as it turned out, bypass cost more than I could comfortable spend anyway so that (among other things) helped me make my decision to have lap band.

The girl called me from my doctor's office to tell me about an extended coverage plan I could purchase that covers complications (band erosion, port flip, band slip). It's almost $1000 for a year and about $1300 for 18 months. I really don't have the money, but at the same time, don't have the money for later on if the complications occur. Anyone have any advice or had to make this decision? Thanks in advance for any help!!

My surgeon did not offer a plan like that. It sounds like an extended warranty, which is often a waste of money. Yes, you could have any of these complications, but they are not common. Whether it's worth spending an extra $1000-1300 is really up to you. I personally would probably not have done it, had my surgeon offered it. If something goes wrong and it's surgeon error, he will cover it anyway.

Edited by GreenChrysalis

The manufacturer warranties the band....erosion falls under the warranty.

Port flip is surgeon error

band slip is surgeon error or patient error

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on some so called insurance. Bet it would cost an arm and a leg to collect...so it won't be worth it.

If you are a self pay the warranty is worth it. The band manufacturer does not have a warranty on the band. If ther are any complications they can be costly. I was a self pay and at 4 months out they discovered I had a leak. I never had restriction so they did a test under fluoroscopy. The leak was a pin sized whole on the band itself. This is a rare complication, but a costly one.

I just had the band removed and had to pay out of pocket for that too.

$1000 is a good price to pay for the warranty and just in case. If the surgeon is offering this though make sure you know your surgeon and why he offers this. Does he have patients who frequently have complications, etc. Also, who is the warranty through? For example, is it insurance that will pay out to the hospital, anesthesiologist, or diagnostic companies should something go wrong, or does it just cover his fee as the surgeon.

Good Luck.

Sorry, I should have made that clear...the warranty is like most products.... only for defects. If there is a defect in the band or in the construction of the band.

A pin hole....that's like tires. They will say it was a nail you ran over the day you purchased your tires. In the case of the band...they will say your surgeon punctured it.

Stuff happens with a band that can't really be blamed on anyone. Erosion and slippage are known complications with bands. If you have them, the band manufacturer won't pay your costs and the surgeon won't either.

If the warranty is for *any* complication no matter what the cause, then it sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not sure I'd want to pay that much though and only 18 months of coverage wouldn't really be enough.

I believe there is a financing plan that includes this sort of coverage (BLIS?) that isn't as expensive but no surgeon near me offers it. If I were self-pay, I'd want something like that.

I will be a self-pay. At the initial seminar I attended, the said the price for a procedure where you don't have to stay overnight in the hospital would be $13,500 ($17,500 for overnight). They also said both prices include insurance in case there are any complications anytime the next year. I have no idea how much the insurance is alone, but they do not offer a "no insurance" price. I am sort of glad.