Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry Right After First Fill

I just had my first fill ab out 3 hours ago. I am on liquids only and so far have just had some Crystal Light. The problem is that I feel like I could eat everything in sight. I am starving. I am going to stick with the liquids but I'm just wondering if anyone else feels really hungry after a fill.

I just had my first fill ab out 3 hours ago. I am on liquids only and so far have just had some Crystal Light. The problem is that I feel like I could eat everything in sight. I am starving. I am going to stick with the liquids but I'm just wondering if anyone else feels really hungry after a fill.

I laugh every time I see the commercial for Lap Band with the Lion and it states to curve your hunger. I have had my band for almost 2 years and it didn't stop the hunger. What happens is you do feel you want to eat everything but guess what you cant. Wont and cant are two seperate items. I am at a good fill level right now because after a couple of bites I feel tight and it starts to get to were it hurts and your brain says stop now or you will regret it. It is a big factor to change your body and the way it thinks about hunger. Hunger is a big mental thing not physical thing. You think your hungry but if you have a cup of Water a lot of times you don't feel that hungry anymore. You were actually thursty. I know it sounds weird but you are going to still at 2pm between lunch and dinner want a snack. You now can only have a couple of bites and stop button kicks in and your body will tell your brain to put down the fork or what your eating and go back after the tightness goes away and your food gets threw the band. If it takes 45 min to eat something that took you 8 min with out the band your going to stay full longer and have less. That is what your goal is and by only having small amounts you start to rethink of what exactly your putting in. Protein first veggies second and carbs are last but by the time you get down the first two you don't even want the carb to stick and hurt so forget it!!!! It takes a long time to retrain you habits. I had an unfil because I was too tight and let me tell you I went straight for the fast food drive threw and it went down fine so back I went the next day and went into my old bad habits right off the bat. I felt like a kid in the candy store. Three weeks later and 12 pounds gained I was back to get a fill. That stop button was gone and I don't trust myself. The band is a great tool and if used correctly to not overeat it is a great success. I was at the grocery market yesterday and wanted the seafood salad in the deli so bad. I started to down it while I was shopping and after three bites I really regreted it and it took 30 min to stop hurting. So I had to stop eating until the tight feeling went away then by the time I got home I didn't really want to deal with the pain again so just had a few items for dinner and that was it. Before the band I would have downed the seafood salad in 5 min plus a box of crackers and on to the next item. I CANT do that now. I forget all the time and start shoveling it in and then my body says NOOOO and I am in pain. It is a learning process every day to stay on track. It might take a couple of fills to get to the point where you feel tight but not too tight. I was too tight for a few months and from PBing every day I got so swollen inside that I could hardly swallow my spit with out feeling like PBing. Everyone's fill level is different for their body. Keep focused and you can make this a sucess!!!!

I had my first fill yesterday and I noticed the same thing. My stomach was growling so much it almost hurt, and that hasn't happened very often since I got the band. My doctor doesn't require us to stick to liquids or mushies after a fill so I had a chicken ceasar salad for lunch (4 hours after the fill), that cured the growling stomach.... for a few hours! (Obviously, I haven't noticed much restriction from my first fill, at least, not yet -- still hoping!)

I notice today I'm better, I had a doctor's appointment this morning that required an empty stomach so I haven't eaten yet today; it's almost lunch time now and although I'm looking forward to eating something, my stomach isn't growling like it did yesterday!