Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my first fill today!!!

I was banded 2 weeks ago, 5-27-08. I have been eating everything - bread, chicken, steak, you name it - I've been able to eat it.

So, I got my first fill today at my post-op check-up. What a weird experience. Not at all painful, only took a few minutes, but just weird. The whole process is pretty cool when you just sit and think about it. Now I am on liquids for the next 24 hours. I did eat some summer sausage and cheese earlier though. Everything seems to be going down just as easily as it did before.

I have heard others say that a fill can take up to 4 weeks to be in full effect. I was just wondering why, or how that is possible. If the Fluid is injected into the band then it is there the instant it is injected, so why the wait?

I was banded on the same day and I wish my doctor would give me a fill. However, I'm going to call him tomorrow. I stood up and felt this terrible pull in my stomach and then a sting have you experienced any discomfort?

Yes, I still have some discomfort at the port site. It even radiates through to my lower back at times. It will feel fine for a while then I'll be carrying my 11 month old (20 pounds) and she'll drop her pacifier or toy and when I bend to to pick it up with her in my arms I'll have a shooting pain at the port site. Then it will be pretty sore for a day or two. Since the port is stitched to a muscle, it will hurt longer. We use those muscles more often than we realize. The actual port that was accessed for my fill today was about 2 inches below the port incision. I am hoping we both will be pain-free soon!

Hi Linda

Ive not been banded yet, am still in the finding out stage before I make my mind up. Do you mind me asking you a few questions? I'm just wondering since you've had your band what changes have you had to make? Has it made any difference to what you you're able to eat and the quantity?

Good luck with it all!

Julia x

My first 2 fills really left me with no restriction. Then I got my 3rd fill and all of a sudden - real good restriction right away. I do not know why it would take time for restriction to occur, rather I understand why it would go away over time (as the stomach shrinks, you need more). I have never heard of anyone getting a fill so quickly after surgery - most people have to wait at least a month - any others get it done so quickly ?

Oh man I was banded on 4/23 and the doctor is letting me have my first fill today I can't wait!

I too got my 1st fill today about 1 hour ago - 3 cc's. Now I'm sitting at work sipping a Protein Drink. It was not painful at all. Doc sprayed numbing agent on my stomach. I didn't watch but hubby said it looked like a gas he was spraying on. To me it felt cold and wet. He put the needle in, didn't feel a thing. Of course, again I didn't look - just studied the ceiling while we chatted. I did have to sit up with the needle still in my port and drink about 1/2 cup of Water. Went down ok. Little sips, but I had to burp each time before it went down. He said that was normal. I'm on liquids today and tomorrow, then just take it slowly with normal food. I only lost 2 pounds in bandster hell. But he said that's not bad especially with a weeklong beach vacation in there. Next fill is scheduled for 6 weeks out.

Julia -

So far I have not made any changes to my eating habits. I have experienced no restriction from the band yet. I will return to the doc in 3 weeks and will probably get my second fill, since I am still eating anything and everything. I look forward to actually having some restriction soon. I do feel full sooner than I did before surgery and therefore am eating less, but I can still consume a decent amount of food, none of this couple of teaspoon business I had heard about pre-surgery. I have also heard that the band is tighter just before and during your period, but I have not experienced that either - maybe next month, when my band is tighter. I have heard of increased tightness in the mornings, but nope, don't have that one neither. One of my friends can actually feel her food moving through the band. I think I may have slightly felt this earlier tonight, kind of strange, but not at all uncomfortable. At first, I regretted my decision, the port site hurt more than I thought it would. But now that I am feeling better the regret is gone. I have already lost some weight even without restriction - mostly due to the liquid phases. I look forward to getting some restriction soon and working WITH my band to get down to the weight I want to be. Now I just have to work on not drinking while I eat - that is the absolute hardest thing for my at this point. I didn't even ask how much Fluid he was putting in my band, but I will ask at my next appt so I know all my info. I have a low-profile port. My surgeon suggested it d/t my low BMI.

Liz -

I didn't burp when I sipped the Water. I NEVER burp though, I think I may have burped like once in my life and that is it. Dunno why. The spray was cold and wet, I actually expected my capris to be soaked, but they weren't. The Water I drank was really cold too, and I felt the coldness going all the way down. I saw the needle, but didn't pay too much attention to what was being done with it. I had my youngest child, an infant, with me and one of the nurses was holding her while I got the fill so I was mainly watching her, hoping she wouldn't scream since a stranger was holding her. But she did great, didn't scream until the nurse tried to sit down, LOL, same thing she does to me too!! I did feel a lot of pressure when the needle was inserted into the port, but no pain. Have you had any restriction yet? I was on liquids for 24 hours, but am done with that now. I had roast with gravy, mashed potatoes and green Beans for supper, with brownies for dessert, no problems with any of that going down at all. I pray that I am not one of those people that the band just does not work on. I know it is early, so I have to be patient - I have just never been a patient person, LOL! But I guess I am forced to be patient now.

Brandy -

How did your first fill go? Are you feeling any restriction yet? Let us know how it went and how things are going for you!!

Mike -

Your message gives me hope, since you had no restriction in the beginning either. Hopefully my restriction will come with my next couple of fills. The 90 days following my surgery includes free apponitments and fills so I am really trying to take advantage of that. I would like to have some restriction before the free fills are done. How many fills have you had to date?

Yukiko -

Did you call your doc? What did he/she say? My friend, who works at my doc's office said he usually does not do fills this early, but would probably make an exception for me since I was eating like my same old self. I had eaten do-nut holes and a sausage & cheese kolache for Breakfast the morning of my appointment, LOL! I am a nurse and nurses usually make the worst patients. I know I do, noncompliant, should be my middle name! But I am working on that. Anyway, let us know how you are and what your doc said.

Everyone -

I am so glad to have found this site. I have learned so much just from the short amount of time I have been able to spend on here. I really look forward to getting to know you guys/gals and supporting each other every step of the way. Best of Luck and Lots of Love. God Bless you all.

Hi Liz

thanks for the info, it's incredibley helpful to hear other peoples's experiences. I hope everything goes well for you at your next appt for a fill. It must be weird having the band and yet still being able to eat pretty normal after expecting the 3 teaspoons scenario!

I had had my 1st appt with the surgeon yest and am booked in for 4th July. I am apprehnsive about how well I will adjust to changing my eating habits ie chewing properly, eating slowly, not drinking etc but after nearly 30 yrs of battling with my weight and yo yo-ing up and down I am ready to try something new. It's exciting, but a little nerve racking!

All the best on your journey. Keep in touch!

and thanks again

Julia x

I'm usually not a burper either. But after almost every sip, burp then it goes down. Really weird. I'm on liquids yesterday and today then back to regular. Funny, since weighing yesterday morning and this morning. Down 3 pounds from all the liquids. Of course I didn't get too much sleep last nite. I was up about 5 times having to tinkle out the liquid!

Man all of you have had different experiences that me! It's amazing how it varies from dr. to dr. I was banded on 4-18 and was LIQUIDS for 20 days, mushies for 10 and then real food for two weeks. I lost 17 pounds, and definitely could not eat much (about as much as my two year old) when I did start eating real food again. Then, I got my first fill two weeks ago, exactly on my six week band-iversary, and man oh man did I know it. After six days of liquids, and only 1.4 cc in my band, I still couldn't eat and now, two weeks later my band, the princess, has relaxed enough to allow me to eat THREE TO FIVE teaspoon fulls of food at lunch and maybe a cup of food at night. I'm now down 30 pounds from surgery. I was really worried about being too tight initially but now feel like it's what everyone told me, I just had to give it a bit of time!

I'm at 3 fills - I go monthly so will not be back for another 2 weeks. I am just recently "loosening up". Had very good restriction first two weeks, bud gradually faded. Will probably ask for a small fill next visit...