Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the Only One on CLEAR Liquids for 14 Days POST OP?

It seems like all or most of you are getting to go on full liquids after about a week or so. Some even after a few days.

Am I the only one on Clear Liquids for a full 14 days? I'm a total rule follower and I won't go against my doctor's advice at all . . . but honestly . . . I'm going stark raving mad. Maybe he's just ultra-ultra conservative post-op. :shrug:

Hang in there. 14 days will be worth it in the end. Perhaps your doc feels you need some extra healing time. You want to heal perfectly. You are strong to do as your doc is asking. Many would not and could cause themselves problems because of it.

Well, I was supposed to be on a 2 week pre op diet....

But before the first week was over, I wanted to eat something. So I called the nurse at the office and she said it's just a guideline. If you feel like you can move on ... go for it! But when you take a step, hold it for about 4 days to make sure you are ready for the next step. Well, yeah I just ate something solid and it went down smooth so I am just keep everything pretty simple but I eat dinner with the fam and I have eaten out. But, my portion is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller. When I went out to eat I had a kids sized meal. A friend of mine had gastric about 3 years ago and now we are happy we can split meals, and not try to eat up the restaurant.

just my 2 cents

26 lbs lost is great....wow, what was your pre op diet like?

HF2008,

I actually spoke with the nurse today (I wasn't calling about the diet -- but to schedule my 2-week post-op appointment). I didn't want to come right out and ask her if I could move on because . . . well . . . I didn't want to sound like I couldn't handle it. LOL. Not saying that you sounded like that . . . but sometimes I have to put on my tough girl face. haha.

Anyways, my 2-week apptmt is supposed to be on the 18th . . . but my doctor has some things going on and he can't see me until the 20th. Technically, I'm not allowed to advance to the next stage until he sees me . . . but I asked if I could advance on the 18th since that's my 2-week time period.

She said that if I was tolerating the Clear Liquids well (I am), then I could move carefully to the next stage on the 18th no problem. Then, I could tell my doctor on the 20th if I had any problems with the new full liquids. sheesh.

As far as pre-op diet, my doctor was very lax. I had to lose some weight to prove to my doctor I could stick to a program, so I did high Protein meals with lean meats, veggies, and a good carb. I lost some weight. Then, he recommends a 10-day high-protein, low-carb liver shrinking diet. He recommends 10 days, but REQUIRES 4. I did 6 full days. My liver was very small for the surgery.

Now . . . I am, obviously, on clear liquids. I think I'm losing about a pound an hour. LOL!

No your not the only one, I have to be on them as well/ anything that goes up through a straw for 10 days afterwards, just thinking right now all the stuff I can get through a straw lol

I know what you mean. My Dr. said 14 days liq pro presurgery diet.

I started sat (5 days ago.) and I am so tired of liquids. I went to mcdonals and bought a side salid and ate it verry slow with 1/2 the low fat dressing that was with it . (2 Tbsp) I ordered metifast chili, and beef stew. I keep having these mind thoughts about trying to loose without the surgery.

I had 14 days pre-op. After surgery 1 week clear liquids. At week 2 I added Protein Powder and I can't move on to mushies until 4 weeks post-op. I've cheated a few times taking a bite of this or that and think I'm going to go mad anytime soon.

Well, it wasn't that I couldn't do it! For Real! I was just kidding....it was just too easy doing the liquid...I felt I was capable.

I felt like everything was going down good, and I didn't have any negative experiences. The nutritionist said the diet was basically to take baby steps but if I felt like I have mastered that stage, move on! But hey do what works for you! This surgery and recovery was really a cake walk for me........

That's great you lost that weight...keep up the good work! But a pound a day! LOL! Girl! OK, I am going back to liquids....HMMMMMM.....It would only take me 100 days then! LMAO!

haha! Well . . . don't go back to liquids on MY account . . . I didn't lose any today! :thumbs_up: I am expecting to be down TWO tomorrow, though. haha!

Today was my first day back at my self-imposed job (I'm self-employed), so I made myself REALLY busy. That helped with the liquid crisis I appear to be in at the moment. LOL! I didn't have time to think about being hungry because I kept myself busy. gads.

Well, yesterday I actually was down another 2.5 pounds. So that was good. It seems to be one day with no loss, the next day with a fairly decent one. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

BUT, I totally broke down today. It's not like I went out for McDonald's or anything, but I was feeling lightheaded and shaky, so I had HALF of an Atkins Mocha Latte Protein shake. I felt like I had to get some Protein into my body, which was just lacking on the Clear Liquids. I tried the clear Isopure drinks with zero carbs to stick with the post-op "protocol." But they are NASTY and I couldn't drink them. So, I figured I'd s-l-o-w-l-y sip my first Protein Drink and see how it went.

I feel fine. Well, my stomach feels fine. I do feel kind of weak and guilty for not being able to stay on clear liquids for a full 14 days . . . but I really felt like I was going to pass out. So, half a Protein Shake got me 8-10 grams of protein at least. That's more than I've had in 10 days. whew.

I think I'm going to go lay down now.

I also have a two wk post op full liquids...I will be banded on the 24th of June...But no one ever told me to do anything diet wise before the surgery...so Im kind of having the last supper syndrome eating everything I know I wont have again...sad huh