Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have a question about gas.

Hi everybody. I've been reading the posts here for several months but just haven't posted yet. I am set to be banded 5/11/05 by Dr. Spivak in Houston.

My question is about gas. Not the shoulder pain gas, but the upper and lower gas that comes out of your body. For my job, I sit in a room with clients for several hours on end (4 hour appts are typical) and am worried about being offensive. My surgery is on a Wednesday and I am returning to work on the next Monday. I know everybody is different, but I was just wondering what the variety of experiences were here. I am so embarrassed about asking this question, but I need to know so I can be prepared to return to work! Thank you so much in advance!

Magi

i had very bad gas... and when it needed to come out i let it LOL... i was in alot of pain from it so i really wanted it out.. i had my surgery on the 21st and still have some gas but not as much as last week..in the beginning it is not really smelly because it is not from food so i wouldnt worry..im sure they all know you are returning from surgery also and will be sympathetic

Ive wondered the same thing-seems the running answer is ...Gas X-I bought some but havent really needed it and I also wonder about Beano-Im horrified thinking I may become the boss that passes wind down the halls and in meetings.I cant have that happenin'!

Yep, there are two kinds of gas related to Lap Band surgery.

First is the abdominal gas they use to blow up your abdomen (CO2?) and that causes the shoulder/back/neck pain, they say, although I have heard it say it is more referred pain from the internal disection of the band area, which makes more sense to me, and it why it last so much longer than it takes for the gas to dissipate.

The second gas is the digestive tract gas. The burping and farting gas, which comes after any anesthesia. There is an entire thread on here devoted to burping and farting, and is named such. Let me know if you have trouble finding it, I'll bump it. One of these days I'll figure out how to post the link to that thread...

I also know that everyone is different. Four hours in a meeting leaves too much to hope for. Surely you couldn't get away without passing some kind of gas in that amount of time? Anything is possible. I haven't personally noticed an increase in burping or farting...seems to be about the same as pre-surgery. Although during weeks one and two I surely felt the NEED to pass gas as my body recovered. And what a relief! when it happened.

Good luck!

I had the surgery on Wednesday and started passing gas on Thursday and man was I glad. I went to the surgery center with my husband yesterday and I was there for several hours and never passed gas. I have been taking a ton of anti-gas medicine and I have found that the mylecon drops that you give to babies actually makes the gas pass. I do not have nearly as much today as I have in the previous days. I haven't learned to burp yet. I wish I could. I try but just swallow air and makes it worse.

Don't Think You Will Be Tuting On Monday, But You May Have A Grumbling Tummy. Just Say " Boy, I'm Hungry" Good Luck To Ya.

Thanks so much everyone! This is really the only point that I was concerned about with getting the band. I'll be stocking up on GasX and Phazyme just in case!

I had no problems with gas. I kept wondering was I normal cause everyone else complained about it.

I had the same concern as you about the gas. I was so fearful of this issue that I considered not having the surgery. I went ahead with the surgery anyway (5weeks post-op). I am glad to say that it was not as bad as I anticipated. I thus far have had no gas pain, just air. chewable Gas X works for me. It tastes good and works fast. Luckily, I only had gas for the first two weeks after surgery. But I keep a pack of Gas X at home, at work, and in my car just in case.

Guest Vernsy

was banded by Dr Spivak 4/29/05. I had read about the gas, but have had very little.

Good Luck

No one told me about the gas thing..

BUt it is undeniable

I was the one person in my family who DID not burp and fart all the time.

And I wasnt just hiding it (my family doesnt hide such things)

I just WAS NOT a burper or farter.. even when I did burp, it was tiny.. never a real burp.. and when I farted it rarely stank.

NOW.. i fart daily and at leaste once a day one STINKS real bad!

Plus I let out little burps alot.

It was funny at first and my family thinks its a real riot.. They are amazed and confused..lol

BUt its really begining to get on my nerves. farting is gross when it stinks!

I used to get so mad at my family for being so gross and they would laugh and I would have to leave the area..

Now I understand

No problems with farts for me, but I burp a lot. I used to burp when I ate too much (which happened often); now I seem to burp recreationally. On the plus side, just about every male I know from age 4 to 74 thinks it's hilarious.

I have not noticed a farting or burping change. But when I do have to fart, it is very painful to hold it in. It usually isn't a smelly fart so when I am at work I just make "distractions" like a noise or a clank of something and let'er rip! The guys at work tease me that it is "stretching" because I have been known to get out of the patrol car because I tell them I need to "steeeetch". hee hee hee.... hence my new nickname at work. Stretch.