Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two days Post-op (semi miserable)

I was banded on the 2nd. My doc says as of day 3, I can have thinned out sugar free pudding and thinned out low fat yogurt. Also cream style Soups. I think for dinner I'll try some creamy potato soup! I just feel this awful gas bubble in my stomach that makes me feel terrible. I keep hoping that will go away.

I find it interesting how different all the doctors are in their post-op diets. I will be on Clear Liquids for two weeks post-op. I can have two Protein shakes/day beginning on day three. My surgeon counts apple, grape, or fruit juices as clear liquids. The nutritionist said that I could mix the Protein Shakes with soy milk. What I don't understand is that his gatric bypass students can begin introdcuing mushy foods on day three. Lucky bastards!

Even if other doctors allow patients to begin with the mushy food sooner than mine, I plan to follow his to the "T". I am going through this major change, and I am going to make the most of it.

I saw on previous threads--but too lazy too look back though old messages--that there is a Protein Powder you can mix with juice or broth and you can't taste it. Have any of you tried that?

Also, I am curious about everyone else's supplement instructions. We are supposed to take chewable or liquid calcium citrate 4x/day for a total of 2000 mg/day. I am having trouble locating a source that isn't so expensice. We also are supposed to take chewable Multivitamins 2x/day, 3000mcg of b-12/week, and Vitamin C after the 2nd month. What about everyone else?

I have an appt with my doctor on Thusday, I will find out about chewable Vitamins then. I am feeling a lot better today. I think I have passed the rough spot, thank God. I am exhausted. I am starting to get hungry. I also noticed today just how many food commercials are on TV. Holy crap, every ad is about food. gggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz no wonder we are a bunch of fat people. one ad about wonderful food, the next ad is about weightloss, no wonder I was confused. :-)

I just got on the scale a couple of minutes ago. I was banded on the 3rd, Tuesday and as of today, I have lost 14 pounds. wow. I cannot believe it. 14 pounds!

I was also banded on the third have have lost 7 lbs as of today. I also need to stay on liquids for another 10 days. I can have farina, yogurt, Protein Shake and cream Soups and of course Jello and Ice pops. The thought of eating anythiong hot today is making me ill. It is so humid and hot in NY I hate the heat to begin with. I am going to have my 2nd Protein shake for dinner. I really don't like putting 2 scoops of protein to 10oz of milk. Too thick. I hope every one that was banded this week is doing fine. I feel the best today. The soreness is only around my port. Last night I even slept on my side! I can't wait for the day I can sleep on my stomach. Can anyone give advise on my next 10 days of liquids. I am okay with a week but I woulod have loved to add some soft food in to my boring diet. I know I will stick to it but it is really hard.

leepizz, I have found nirvana at stores like Whole FOods and my liquid diet has actually become enjoyable. A favourite moment after the 5 days of clear liquids was having my first "full liquid" aka creamy or strained Soups. Soups like Roasted Butternut Squash with garlic and sauteed crab meat found at a local high end grocer are so tasty. Strain if you need to. If I was eating canned soups I'd be very unhappy at the moment, even though I usually don't mind them. But when Soup is all you can eat, get the gourmet homemade kinds and you will find the liquid diet quite bearable. So far: Carrot ginger, cream of asparagus, lobster bisque (the brand I had was gross though), cream of curried corn and coconut. I have bought soups for the pureed phase coming up next week and can't wait to get to them (like chicken Tortilla, Curried Turkey Noodle, Cream of Tomato Basil... oh yeah). Also, very high quality yogurt is my salvation. A bit of smoked cheeses melted into plainer soup is good for Protein and flavour as well. Let the real chefs help you through this time.

WoW, those sound right up my alley. Iam going to get my daughter to drive me to whole foods tomorrow. Thanks. Oh can any help me get this ticker factory on my post. I really don't want to click on this link to see the progress! Thanks, Lisa

Hi, I hope you get to feeling better as the days go by. Just remember that this too, will pass. The grabber is an excellent tool. I used mine everyday. May I suggest something that really helped me to get out of bed for a couple of weeks after surgery? I tied a rope to the foot of my bed (the leg) and used it to help hoist myself up. I also put a chair next to my bed. They both helped for a few weeks when I was very sore and there wasn't anyone around to help me get up (When the bathroom called I had to get up and get moving fast). :)

Best wishes for a quick recovery and with your new best friend, the lapband.

Best thing that ever happened to me.

Everyone's experience is different. I had surgery at 1:00 p.m. and was walking out of there at 4:00. I decided not to have anyone stay with me the first night and I was fine. I was wide awake, and I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. watching TV. But, I was feeling so good that I didn't take any pain meds and I should have, because I woke up during the night feeling pretty uncomfortable. Pain meds work much better if you take them before the pain gets bad!

I was up early the next day and felt mildly uncomfortable but not too bad. But by early afternoon it all caught up with me and I suddenly felt very sleepy. I took a 4-hour nap, woke up for an hour, fell asleep on the couch for a few hours, woke up for another hour or two, and went to bed, and slept for 10 hours!

Three days after surgery I woke up and realized I felt absolutely wonderful. I think part of it was just the release of the anxiety and stress of researching weight loss surgery, making the decision, finding the money (I'm self pay), etc. etc.

After that the only real issue has been pain around the port area, and that is getting better. I'm 55 years old and supposedly we take a little longer to recover when we get older, but again, I think everyone is different.

You're going to feel great very soon and you'll be on your way in your exciting new journey!

Ya'll have me a little worried, My date is 7/22/08. I'm flying from VA to Juarez Mexico by myself,I hate flying it really frightens me but i'm forcing myself because i'm ready to have my life back and take control again. But the thought of flying and getting around the airport while in the pain some of you decribe has my panic attacks kicking in. good luck to all!!!:):thumbup:

Kimaly, I really think you'll be fine. I think you'll be surprised by how well you'll be doing. Lots of people go to Mexico for surgery and fly home and they all do really well. It is surgery, yes, but it isn't major invasive surgery, it's laporascopic surgery. You'll be a little uncomfortable but probably no more so than when you're having a bad period.

Thanks Nance, Just needed to hear that.:)

Banded on the 3rd, and wrapping up day 5. Wow, what a difference a day makes. I feel a lot better today. I was getting worried because I need to get back to work tomorrow. I woke up exhausted, no energy. So, I tried my first Protein Drink. That was all I needed. Tonight, I had the chicken broth (yuck). but I am going to eat some Jello later which I am looking forward to. So, I am coming out of this and now I start to work on me and seeking the why did I get fat answers. With all the positivies in my life why did I pick food to be my meds of choice journey. I will keep you all posted.

I was banded on Friday, June 6th. I did stay overnight and thank god I did. The pain was tough to move around. If I would not have the gas, I think I would be alright. Thankfully, I did not throw up, but my doctor told me the first sign of throwing up, I needed to go to the ER room. I was told that I could go back to my liquid diet, but no one mentioned anything about only clear liquids.... Good luck to all

My surgery was also on June 6th and I am still feeling miserable. The gas pain has been terrible and I have tried the Gas X and it has not helped. My feet are also swelling and I keep coughing up phlegm. I am going to call my doctor this morning as I coughed up a little blood with the phlegm. The coughing hurts a lot and I am afraid that my band will slip if I cough too hard. Has anyone else experienced this? I have successfully been able to get 2oz of Protein Shake down every 2 hours. Getting the required Water down has been tricky. I accidently gulped some down and felt pretty bad afterwards. Must remember to sip everything slowly.

I gulped Water last night. I woke up very thirsty and forgot and started gulping the warter. At the the second gulp it would not go down and I spit it out. Then I had the yuck feeling in my thorat and spent a while walking around my pool until it went away. I was sucking on ice chips but yesterday afternoon a bunch of family came to see how I was doing and that threw me off and I fell behind. Ithink that is why I was so darn thirsty. The pain gets better every day. I am at work today!!!! My desk is a mess. Some know what I had done, others do not. I'd rather they all know NOTHING then they won't sit and wait for me to melt away. oh the pressure. Have a great day guys!!