Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I met with the surgeon today he said that I have a total of 175lbs to loose to be at my ideal weight. He said that if I do the lapband I can only take off about 50lbs and that Id still be obese. I want the lapband because I am self pay and it is less risker. Also I am in fairly good shape for my size I dont get out of breath walking and Im able to run for a distance with out dying. I just need an extra push to get me going on my diet. He is going to let me get the Lapband but said I should be realistic about loosing weight. Now I have seen alot of people on here that have lost over 100lbs, am I not being realistic about my goals? I just want to loose a 100lbs.

I think it is pretty obvious that the surgeon you spoke to has an agenda. I have never seen any research that said the lap band patients will only lose 50 pounds. Although you didn't say it, I am suspecting he recommended that you get a gastric bypass.

If you have done your research and have decided the band is for you, you should go find another surgeon. Being self-pay, there will be many out there, lining up for your money. The long term stats at this point are saying that gastric bypass patients will lose more in the first year after surgery, but by about years 3 and 5 post surgery, the weight loss is basically the same for both surgeries.

As with anything in life, you can and will be as successful as you are willing to work for. There is nothing simple about being banded, and it is in no way an easy solution. You will have to work hard to achieve great success. This forum is full of people who have lost lots of weight and gotten to their goal.

Good luck!!!

I am a little over 6 months out and have lost 61lbs so far. Your doctor definitely has an agenda of some kind. My doctor did not recommend banding for people that had a high BMI but I am not sure what that number is now. I stated with a BMI of 47.8 and the doctor told me banding was a perfectly logical choice for me.

Be honest with yourself. You CAN lose more than 50lbs, no question, but it is not always easy and it takes a while to get to proper restriction. If you can deal with that, go for it! And good luck!

I was self pay also and it is worth every penny and I will be paying off my surgery for several years!

I was also self-pay and could never have afforded gastric-bypass.

I started at 279, and today, exactly 15 months to the day after surgery, I am at 186. That is 93 lbs, and I am still losing. Almost 20 lbs of my weight loss has actually just come in the past two months. Depressingly, my BMI still categorizes me as overweight (even after 90+ lbs gone ... I find this tragic), but I am now only about 18 lbs away from being in the normal weight BMI range.

Like others have said, it appears your surgeon has an agenda. 100 lbs does not just fall off with no work as soon as you get the band, but I and many others are here as proof that you can far exceed his claim of a 50 lb max weight loss.

Bottom line - do what you think it right for you. Just know that with dedication, the lap band can definitely work.

Good luck!

Studies show that Lap band patients keep off about 50% of their excess weight on average. So if you end up being average, you'd lose 75 lb., not 50 lb.

But you don't have to be average. Plenty of people on LBT have gotten to their goal weight and kept it off. They do it by making real lifestyle changes and following the rules. If you think you can do that, there is no reason why you can't be one of the people who makes it to goal too.

Becca,

I understand your confusion and frustration. i'm still in the very pre-op stage and in seeing the psych md, he told me the same thing! i was MAD! (and later cried, started to research RNY b/c of his suggestion and then went back to my original decision of LB). So, find a doctor that is supportive of you and your decision.

Good luck

Joni in KC

No way - at my banding I had 167 lbs to lose to be within normal BMI range and my doctor was very accommodating with my choice. He performs both procedures. I asked him if he would rather the heavier patients go with the bypass and he said - no I want them to do what they are comfortable with. Of course he told me that individuals "typically only lose 40-50% of their excess weight" but I have seen testimonies on this board that tell me differently. You have to do what is right for you - if you have to - find a different surgeon. I am a self-pay and definitely know I made the right decision!!

I was told by my MD that the lap band vs gastric ultimately comes out the same. It just takes a bit longer for the lap band patients to get to their goal. Sure, you can eat around the lap band and loose less. It's possible to do the same with the gastric as well. Just check out all of pounds lost here at this site! I go in tomorrow for a weigh in. Wish me luck. SS

I am hear to tell you that I began my journey with over 200 lbs to lose depending on which doctor you talk to. I had the surgery 2 1/2 months ago and I am down 48 lbs... that is almost 50... Maybe you should check with a different doctor. the doc doesn't seem to be too confident in himself. and trust me the first two months post banding will be your toughests it named "bandster Hell" I just had my 2nd fill on May 30, and wow does that make such a difference. I love my band now and working with it rather than against while I was in "bandster hell". Please don't give up!

The way my doctor put it was the average lap band patient loses about 40% of their excess weight. To get an average, there have to be high and low numbers. You can be as successful with the band as you choose to be. If you eat like you're supposed to and exercise, you will be more successful than if you graze all day and sit on your behind. I have 160 pounds to lose myself and my doctor has been very supportive of my decision to be banded. I would definitely seek out a second opinion. Good luck to you!

Thank you all for your post. I know I can lose the 100lbs I am really ready to do this. The doctor is a partner to the surgeon that did my sister-n-laws GB RNY. He is going to let me get the LB but I felt like he would have rather me do GB. Which I will not even consider. I all ready met with a nutritionist, need to set up my appointments with psych. then just a few pre-op test, not to many. Just glad to hear from you all that it is possible to lose more then 50lbs. Thanks so much.

Something similair happend to me...with my general doctor. I was sitting in his office telling him what my plan was, what research I did, what my insurance would and would not cover etc etc. And he had the gall to nod and then tell me to call some doctor he knew in Seattle about RNY because "this particular doctor's procedure has very little if any 'dumping syndrome' " (as if!:tt1:)

I was pissed. I had just spent 20 minutes (out of courtesy) telling my GP what I was about to do and he went on to say well: "I don't want to discourage you, I mean it is good that you are doing this even if it is the second best choice of both procedures" . I can tell you he is lucky that I am not the type of person who makes big scenes when people are so obviously ingorant-- I so wanted to let him have it.. :angry:

Long story short, I went to a LB seminar given by my LB Doc and his seminar covered all the details I needed (about stats and LB vs. RNY) and Dr. Neal rebutted EVERYTHING my GP said as well as what your doc said! Dr Neal has patients that weigh way over 400 lbs. :lol:

You sound to me you are so in the zone for a life change. Don't doubt yourself and your instincts. :smile:

I am a little over 6 months out and have lost 61lbs so far. Your doctor definitely has an agenda of some kind. My doctor did not recommend banding for people that had a high BMI but I am not sure what that number is now. I stated with a BMI of 47.8 and the doctor told me banding was a perfectly logical choice for me.

Be honest with yourself. You CAN lose more than 50lbs, no question, but it is not always easy and it takes a while to get to proper restriction. If you can deal with that, go for it! And good luck!

I was self pay also and it is worth every penny and I will be paying off my surgery for several years!

I have to agree with this. I was self pay also, but i went to Mexico, It was cheaper, easier and they were very encouraging.

I was also self-pay and could never have afforded gastric-bypass.

I started at 279, and today, exactly 15 months to the day after surgery, I am at 186. That is 93 lbs, and I am still losing. Almost 20 lbs of my weight loss has actually just come in the past two months. Depressingly, my BMI still categorizes me as overweight (even after 90+ lbs gone ... I find this tragic), but I am now only about 18 lbs away from being in the normal weight BMI range.

I started this journey at 291 pounds, last July. This morning, I weighed myself and I am at 197 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to get to around 150 pounds, (high school and college weight) but I'd be satisfied with 170. I'm also off one diabetes pill, two kinds of insulin and one of my blood pressure meds. Oh yeah, off my C-pap for sleep apnea.36_2_68.gif

Like others have said, it appears your surgeon has an agenda. 100 lbs does not just fall off with no work as soon as you get the band, but I and many others are here as proof that you can far exceed his claim of a 50 lb max weight loss.

Bottom line - do what you think it right for you. Just know that with dedication, the lap band can definitely work.

You sound a lot like I did when I tried to decide what I wanted to do. Do what you need to do. Don't let the doctor persuade you to do differently.

Good luck!

I'll add my wishes for good luck too. GOOD LUCK

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZSYYYYYYNWUS

It's hard to find studies that agree with each other completely; it's the nature of health studies to be VERY difficult to get a definitive answer, even after years of trying. It's clear to me that surgery is the most successful weight-loss technique available, nonetheless. Lap-band vs. Bypass? You get partisan answers a lot. It's not that your Dr. is a jerk for preferring bypass; he probably genuinely believes you will lose more weight on it. But considering that you will not consider bypass (I wouldn't either!), then it's a moot point.

There are lots of people who don't lose any weight, lots who lose some, and lots who reach their goal. We all want to be in the latter camp. My surgeon told me that I will do better than the statistics. That I will reach my goal in 12 months. He probably says that to everyone, but I like his attitude! He wants us to succeed and will give whatever support is necessary to make that happen. So be positive. You can do it with the Lap-band.

I have to agree with everyone. Your doctor is definetly anti lapband. For him to tell you that was wrong, wrong, wrong. Hopefully you have gone (or will go) to a different surgeon.