Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have to go to A nutrition counselor before I get a fill. ADVICE PLEASE

I went to Mexico for my Lapband.

I recently found out I could get fills about an hour from me in Oregon with Tom Eubanks for less than the cost of me traveling to Mexico. (and less hassle)

When I was asking for all the info from Eubanks office, I pretty much thought I would have to pay a consult fee, flouro and fill the first time (about 550$)

And then Fills only after that and maybe flouro too.

I was told Fills were once a month. I had my first fill in April. The next fill in May 18.

Well, I called yesterday to get a fill on May 18th.

Suddenly......... I have to have a phone in session with 'nancy' and SHE decides if I need a fill and it cost 25$. I cant schedule the fill untill she approves it. FINE, No problem....

AND now I found of of another charge of 89$ each time I go for a office fee?

BUT.......... They call me back and say I have to come IN to the office and cant do it over the phone....... I have to come in for an HOUR appointment.

They say my insurence will cover it cuz I am diabetic, (this I am not so sure of and I am scared I will end up with a bill.. my insurence is OHP)

WHINE AND MOAN AND BITCH.... (inserted here)

I am a private person (in real life, not on messege boards, lol)

I do not like going places, I am a cripply gimp and the office is almost impossible for me to manage up stairs and way down the hall)

I cannot drive alone and had to get my kid to go with me.

I dont want to reveal the truth and I am anally truthfull about my eating habits.

I dont want to be judged and I dont want to be misunderstood.

(I AM NEVER UNDERSTOOD! I am lumped in with the 400 pound morbidly obese people who eat whole pizzas and stuff and I DONT and never have and so they think if I eat one slice of pizza its a big change BUT ITS NOT becasue I only ate two to begin with. ANYWWAY... I am NEVER beleived and I just hate that!

I am also a rambler, I go on and on and on and make my self look like a basket case. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am not a happy camper at all. I definately will take some of my valium tonight!

Can anyone tell me what this kind of HOUR long meeting will go?

I am filled 1.1 on a 4cc band and I just want another fill.

THATS ALL!!!!!

Nykee, take a deep breath. My doctor's office instituted a similar requirement for people who want fills, and at first I rolled my eyes but I think it makes sense. So many of the problems people have when banded are due to indiscriminate fill practices, and doctors just want to be sure patients are doing their part as well. The last thing anyone wants is a patient who gets too tight and is unhappy for that reason. So they're trying to determine if you're doing your part and protecting you from relying too much on a fill.

I just read on another board about someone who is more than two years out and having problems. The patient freely admitted that over the last two years an overreliance on a tight fill is what caused these problems. The patient admitted to KNOWING this was wrong, but did it anyway. So I can understand a bit of why doctors want to be cautious.

Anyway, just be honest about what you're eating and let them know that you're getting hungry after only an hour or two. Say that you're sticking to Protein first but it just doesn't seem to fill you up. Tell them about whatever restriction you're feeling (or not feeling) and reassure them that you're paying attention to the sensations your band is giving you. Just be honest and don't panic! This really is for your own healthy sake. :D

Your so amazing, i read your posts to people and well your just great..

I REALLY REALLY need to get my head out of my arse.. I AM thinking I can rely on the fills and the more I read around here the more I think that is exactly what contributes to erosions and slips and problems.. (like your saying)

I will never ever have the money to get another band.. I have zero credit, no such thing as a credit card, no family with any money and I am on SSI (without medicare). I CANT DO THIS BS!!! I feel so completely incapible of "working with the band" BUT the fact is I AM NOT INCAPIBLE OF DOING THAT!

I been going to the YMCA faithfully for longer than I ever have and I just know I am going to keep going, I even bought a 69$ suit and I wore it without a net shirt and without capris! LOL

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!! I am not scard now about going THANK YOU!!!!

I just dong get what Protein first means. I never eat food that way.. I never have 'meals' that have the option of having Protein first. I think I will go look at the food thread and see what others are eating.

ONe thing I know is I DO stop once I have any "feelings" what so ever... I just dont have them much at all.. I really hope this next fill will do it.

SHE BETTER LET ME HAVE ONE!

Thanks again

Nykee Protein first means this,

if you sit down to eat and your plate has lets say a piece of chicken, some veggies, some rice

you should eat all of the chicken first, then the veggies, then the rice if you have room left. For example my lunch today was a small zuchini cut up into small slices, 3 slices of the tyson all ready cooked chicken strips, I sauteed them together in a pan with non stick spray and vegetable seasoning, I will eat the chicken first then the zuchini it is a high protein, low carb meal with very little fat if any.

Protein supresses hunger, the more you eat, the less hungry you are. Examples of protein are chicken, beef, fish, tuna, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, some Beans, some nuts,

You can do this, from one Ortiz patient to another I know he stresses protein first, if you need a little kick in the butt call me or email me, I will help you get through it.

If you do not eat food that way, then maybe try starting to do it that way if at all possible. Honestly for me carbs kill any attempt for weight loss , if I eat protein it keeps my cravings and hunger under control, carbs make me crazy and ravenous all day long for more food!

Good Luck to you Nykee, you can do this!

Nykee you can do this, sometimes we just need someone to point out what we need to do. Sometimes the seeing what we need to do makes us understand it better.

Try eating your Protein first now and see if it doesn't help you.

You have gotten great advice from Michelle and Alex, now just put that to work for you!

I went to the appointment and it was GREAT. Nancy is the best. I was 100 percent honest with her and she never did anything to make me feel bad, only encourage me. SHE understood everything and didnt judge at all.

I am glad they had me go!!! I learned alot.

LAmadame)

Nykee Protein first means this,

if you sit down to eat and your plate has lets say a piece of chicken, some veggies, some rice

girl)

I never eat meals like this.. well almost never.

Lamadame)

you should eat all of the chicken first, then the veggies, then the rice if you have room left. For example my lunch today was a small zuchini cut up into small slices, 3 slices of the tyson all ready cooked chicken strips, I sauteed them together in a pan with non stick spray and vegetable seasoning, I will eat the chicken first then the zuchini it is a high Protein, low carb meal with very little fat if any.

girl)

I know how to do this, I could write my own diet book..lol

BUt I do not cook and actually cannot cook (much) (physically challanged)

BUT I am telling my family thats something thats new, time to COOK! They do everything else for me, why not this! argggh

lamadame)

Protein supresses hunger, the more you eat, the less hungry you are.

girl)

Hunger has never been an issue. Hunger doesnt make me eat, hunger has nothing to do with it.

lamadam)

Examples of protein are chicken, beef, fish, tuna, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, some Beans, some nuts,

girl)

I been adding up my protein nd I get plenty.. like 100 grams a day..

BUT I know what your saying.

The counseling meeting really opened my eyes.

I am actually restricted on my protein, not allowed over 80 a day.

lamadam)

You can do this, from one Ortiz patient to another I know he stresses protein first, if you need a little kick in the butt call me or email me, I will help you get through it.

girl)

They dont talk to me... BUT I will PM you with my email.. I ALWAYS need a kick in the butt.. I am SUCH a loser! Sorry to say that.. but gosh this whole thing is making me nuts.. look how crabby I am being..

lamadame)

If you do not eat food that way, then maybe try starting to do it that way if at all possible.

girl)

Well I KNOW its possible I just dont know whats seemed impossible for the last 20 years now to follow or do anything differently that would help my diet and health and weight.

lamadame)

Honestly for me carbs kill any attempt for weight loss , if I eat protein it keeps my cravings and hunger under control, carbs make me crazy and ravenous all day long for more food!

Good Luck to you Nykee, you can do this!

girl)

I know thats true.. I HAVE started today.

This is what I did so far.

I gave my jelly belly jar to my son, he asked why and I said "cuz I eat like 10 every morning and every night" and he thought that was the point to have a few to feel saticfied (usually the jar would of been GONE long ago, handfulls all day) I told him the little bit is prolly just keeping the carb cravings going.

I left my purse at home on purpose when I went to get my daughter from school.

BECASUE I made a NO FAST food RULE.. I have fast food up to three times a day, and almost every day. (little things but full of fat and carbs!)

It was so hard! OMG.. I cant beleive it was so hard. And tonight I go to the YMCA for my workout, just not gonna bring any cash so I wont be tempted!

I had a grilled cheese sandwitch for luch.. WITH NO DRINK!!!

I was drinking with my meals. I usually drank like 32 ounces or more of milk or juice with a sandwitch or a corndog. This time, sandwithc ONLY@!!!

Those are the things I have done so far.

Soooooooooon, I will try to make these 'meals' ... (instead of like a snadwitch)

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

Nykee, sounds like you're doing great! It's a terrific idea to keep your cash at home (but do carry your wallet), because even though fast food places do take credit, you don't want to pay with a credit card for one hot dog or something. How embarrassing that would be!

I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here: Why not try substituting calorie-free liquids for your milk and juice? Breaking the kind of drinking habit that you have will be hard to do all at once. (I mean between meals--you really do want to NOT drink at all for an hour after eating.) Lots of liquid is a good thing, but not if it's loaded with calories. Try those great flavored waters! They're really delicious and you can drink three gallons of them if you want. Propel and Fruit2O are two brands, and there are loads of others.

You're doing great!! So did they say you could get a fill, and if so, when? After your fill you may find that a grilled cheese sandwich isn't the best bet for lunch. The bread makes it hard to eat. Start stocking your kitchen with other options--chili, tuna, deli meats maybe. The day will come and you don't want to be unprepared!

Nykee, now that is progress!!!

You have done great, remember baby steps. One day at a time. Looks like you have the right attitude and are realing trying to deal with those "head demons". If you can do that then you are going to do great.Breaking old habits that we have done for years can be difficult but it sounds like you are really putting forth an effort. I'm happy for you ;)

I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here: Why not try substituting calorie-free liquids for your milk and juice?

>>>>>>>>>>>>I have tried prolly over 200 times in the last 10 years.. BUt I will keep trying till I die or change I guess.

Breaking the kind of drinking habit that you have will be hard to do all at once. (I mean between meals--you really do want to NOT drink at all for an hour after eating.) Lots of liquid is a good thing, but not if it's loaded with calories. Try those great flavored waters! They're really delicious and you can drink three gallons of them if you want. Propel and Fruit2O are two brands, and there are loads of others.

>>>>>>>>>>>I know ALL the brands.. I bought cases of them at costco.

sugar free grape kool aid, sunrise crystal lite and ICE botanicals are my favorite but I still cant stand them... ITS A TOTAL diet to me to drink them and I had really counted on this BAND, not on me.. cuz I let me down too much.

You're doing great!! So did they say you could get a fill, and if so, when?

>>>>>>>>>>No they havnt called back. and now I dont even have the money.. I may have to wait till JUne.. but then my kids summer fun money will be gone.. I dunno.

MY FILLS come first!!! Thats my life I have decided to put first for once!

After your fill you may find that a grilled cheese sandwich isn't the best bet for lunch.

>>>>>>>>>>>I know, I am filled at 1.1 and well obviously I need more!@

The bread makes it hard to eat. Start stocking your kitchen with other options--chili, tuna, deli meats maybe. The day will come and you don't want to be unprepared!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>I been stocked for a while now... baby food even, but I have yet to have any real restriction yet!

THANKS for your support.. I really appreciate it!