Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last night, after discovering that our movie was sold out, me & my friends decided to hit up a bar to see a couple of live bands play. This is the first time I've been in a bar since I was banded (on 5/29). My 1st reflex was to order a beer, but I froze in my tracks! I realized that beer was now off limits! My 2nd instinct was to order my beer back-up, a rum & Coke...ah CRAP!!! No Coke either! After a brief panic, I decided that it's the hard stuff or nothing. I ordered a Wild Turkey straight up on the rocks. I totally forgot what straight bourbon tasted like. When I took the 1st sip, my face shriveled up like when you suck a lemon. "Uh, this is terrible," I thought. After about three of those, I began to adapt to the taste. Then came the tequila shots...& some more Wild Turkey. I eventually got sloppy drunk! I'm not sure if it was from not having any real food in me belly or from drinking the "hard" stuff, or both. All I know is that I feel terrible today! (stomach is all gassy, too) I'll have to get used to putting away the hard stuff from now on & suffer the dangerous surly consequences or just safely stick to my other recreational habit. (see the "Marijuana Use After Surgery " thread in this forum.)

How about a vodka with cranberry since that doesn't have any carbonation as a suggestion. I like wine but will be waiting a good long while before I have any.

I am surprised the girl in the video didn't realise vodka tonics were carbonated. Glad to get the explanation though more than just 'it will hurt'

Oh and beyond the interesting lesson about the pouch, am I the only horrified by the doctor digging around with the needle looking for the port? Sweet jesus that looks like it hurts!

Another thing I found rather disturbing about this video- not to get off topic, but isnt' the nurse supposed to be wearing GLOVES:eek: and actually cleaning the site with sterile tecnique?:cursing: Wow- I work in a hospital, and I can't imagine letting anyone do that without proper cleaning and without gloves! - bring on the infection! Of course, I havent had a fill yet, but in my info it states the fill is done under sterile tecnique! Please correct me if I'm wrong!

alcohol doesnt bother me really like girlie drinks but when i drink a few beers it kills my stomach i hate it because beer is my favorite drink ever but it only takes me a few drinks to feel tipsy now :smile: i'm a cheap drunk haha kidding!!

My doc said no alcohol for 6 months, no carbonation, period. He gave the same explanation the one in the video did. He also explained that one drink has the power of about 3 because you are drinking on an empty stomach.

Well, I've had diet coke and rum, 3 beers and lots of wine since being banded. Nothing has given me a problem. Although, I do get tipsy much quicker.

I stomach alcohol just fine but I avoid soda with it. The soda just gives me the instant full feeling. I am a cheaper date though as well now.

I had my first glass of wine this weekend. OMG! I couldn't even drink the whole glass. I was wasted. So I now know a half a glass of wine is good for me! :smile:

I am very grateful to see the video I must say. That will give me this push I need to stay off of ALL carbonation.

I wish I could get a doc to be honest about it more than just 'alcohol is empty calories.' The counselor at my docs practice did say lap band and bypass people look like hell when they get a lot of calories from alcohol. Your hair and skin go to hell. Which is why I don't drink 7 days a week to start with, that and general health, but I do want a night out every now and again with a few margaritas. I plan to wait two more weeks and see how a glass of wine goes down.

Oh and beyond the interesting lesson about the pouch, am I the only horrified by the doctor digging around with the needle looking for the port? Sweet jesus that looks like it hurts!

No, you're not the one. I too was horrified. I get my first fill on July 2nd and I really hope it's not like that. I can't take anymore pain.

I drink alcohol almost every weekend :tt2: (I'm 22 years old what do you expect :thumbup:) haha No but i love beer but since i was banded it kills me to drink it...but other than that i have no problems with drinking its much cheaper to go out after the band you get drunk after a few drinks :eek:

I am also a beer drinker. And a soda drinker. The thought that in 69 days I won't be able to have either of them ever again is almost enough to make me depressed, haha. I've never been one to drink a lot of Water during the day, and I never really got into drinking hard liquor. I absolutely HATE wine, too. Looks like I'm going to be one sober chick after 11/5/08! But hey, at least I'll be a sexy skinny sober chick! :tt2: