Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op depression, or are my meds just not working?

I was banded on April 30, so I just had my 1-month bandiversary. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a fairly hardcore bout of depression. I've been feeling really tired ever since the surgery. I thought it would improve after the first week or two, but it hasn't. I didn't actually realize I was depressed until two weeks ago, when I was home alone, and I started crying for no reason. That's when it hit me: my typical symptoms when I'm going through a major depressive episode are tiredness, irritability, oversleeping and crying a lot.

I know there are common reasons for depression after banding, like mourning for food, etc. But, I was banded in Germany, and was put back on solid food 2 days after surgery. I'm eating a high-Protein, low-carb diet, even though my doc says I don't have to. I lost about 10 pounds in the first week after surgery, but I've only lost a pound or two since then, and I'm now doing the same diet I was before surgery, only smaller portions. So, there haven't been any major upheavals in my body due to losing loads of weight, and there haven't been any major upheavals in my psyche due to my eating patterns radically changing.

I've been on antidepressants for a long time, and I'm currently on a combination of Cymbalta and Effexor that has been very effective for me. My dosage of Cymbalta was raised about a month before surgery. My doc approved my pills, so I've taken them without interruption.

So, this depression really took me by surprise. Is it possible that my body isn't absorbing all my medication? I spoke to my surgeon about it, but he pawned me off to my psychiatrist. So, I'll be seeing the psychiatrist in two days, but I doubt that he has much specialized information for folks with the band. Does anyone have any ideas or input? I want to go to my psych appointment armed with as much knowledge as possible, because I'm sick & tired of being sick & tired!!!

Edited by DivaRae
checking notification type

This may or may not make sense, but I noticed a correlation between skipping my Protein Drinks & irritibility, depression etc... After I was on regular meals (albeit smaller portions) I figured I didn't need the expensive Protein drinks in between, so began skipping them periodically. Maybe it was coincidence but it seems whenever I went without the protein drinks for a few days I became very irritable & depressed.. Every time! I recently re-ordered my Protein Powder and have faithfully been supplementing my meals w/the drink & I don't feel as depressed and I have lots more energy. I can't explain it, (maybe it's just a placebo effect!) but when I read your post I felt the need to write w/my experience. Good luck.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Depression is not a fun thing to go through. Has your doctor redone all of your blood work to make sure something isn't out of wack? Are you taking your Vitamins and other supplements?

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Some people after having surgery experience low mood, I think in reaction to the anaesthetic. I do remember how the constant tiredness and no energy really knocked me around for about a month or so after surgery. I don't think the band could cause your body to not absorb your medications but maybe the psychiatrist will know for sure.

Remember to be kind and gentle on yourself at the moment, even if you don't feel like it, maybe try and do a little walking each day. What are the things that have helped you in the past when your mood was low eg. talk with friends, plan some enjoyable activities, exercise, eat healthier (which you are doing already), maybe journal what you are feeling each day as a way of seeing the improvement over time.

But mostly, be kind to yourself

i'm probably no help, but i know how you feel. i just feel out of sorts since the surgery, like i don't know what to do with myself. i have read that this is a common reaction to the hormonal fluctations post-banding, but i don't really get why. i feel for you, tho!

I have been banded since march. I totally know what you mean by going into depression. I had depression really bad after i had my daughter 14 yrs ago... and i felt the same symptoms after i got the band. I am feeling much better now but I too was added another antidepressant. it seems to be helping. I haven't done much of anything; exercising, socializing, going out of my house.. this weekend i actually got up at a decent time and went to town with my grandmother and enjoyed myself. I have full hope that i will get over this as well. I am sorry you're depressed and hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. One of the hardest things about this is that I feel too tired to get much exercise. I live in a city where I use public transportation, so I get in a lot more walking than I used to when I had a car. But, I know how important it is for me to be getting regular exercise... I just can't do it yet.