Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you count calories? Do you follow rules?

I don't count calories. I just can't. I really respect people who can but, for me, it immediately throws me into the old "this is a diet and I am being punished" mentality. I work out a lot - I try to do a minimum of an hour a day five days a week - when I'm not too sore I do 90 minutes (treadmill, elliptical, biking, just starting to jog a little) total. I try to choose healthy foods and I try to substitute - today I had about a half cup of rice milk ice cream (dairy free) and it was good. I'm trying to focus on eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm not hungry anymore (as opposed to when I'm full). We'll see how it goes - this is obviously a long process of re-education when it comes to eating!

Ok be honest :smile: - after your banding:

Do you still count calories?

Do you follow all the rules like no sugar just sugar free?

No caffeine?

Eat your Protein first getting 60 grams a day?

Eat three meals a day?

I have heard some people say they follow every rule and others say that don't do anything and still have lost the weight.

I just got banded on Wednesday :( and I am using Fitday.com to keep track of my intake and I plan on doing that even if I mess up here and there.

I follow the rules I was given, but they're different to your rules in America.

I was told to eat a balanced diet of all food groups, based on the healthy food pyramid, to strive for a "normal" lifestyle which means treats like alcohol and chocolate are part of life on occasion and to get plenty of exercise, in any form I liked.

I've done that, its easy to follow the rules when there really arent any, lol.

I dont do Protein first, I dont count protein, I dont count calories, I eat moderate amounts of sugar, I eat a lot of healthy carbs, I dont drink x ounces of Water a day, I dont ever touch Protein shakes because I was never told to do any of those things. I dont have an eating plan, I dont have down to the letter instructions from a personal trainer, I dont have a fill schedule I can get a big one or a small one as I feel I need it whenever I feel I need it, I'm driving this band and was only instructed to use it as I see fit.

I agree with the previous poster, to me, these things all signify tiresome dieting rules which got me where I was in the first place, I've thrown them out the window and now I just eat and live like a thin person.

I guess the most different think I would do than most of you, is where one previous poster says if she felt she wasnt going to be able to finish the meal, she'd leave the rest and eat the protein. I'd leave the protein and eat the veges. I do veges first, I think they're the most important.

Edited by Jachut

I will say, I live life and enjoy my meals, I don't calorie count but thats partly because I buy foods that are low in calorie to start out, I do make sure my portions are correct, and I try to start with Protein, but I mix my bites making sure I finish all the Protein. I have fresh fruit, I have usually 3 meals and a snack, but sometimes its 2 meals and a snack because I am a late night person.

I don't drink in caffiene like coffee or soda or tea, but occasional I will bite off a piece of dark chocalate which has caffeine in it and throw the bar back in the freezer til another time. I only use real sugar or honey but about 80% less than I use too, I cant use artifical sweetners so sugar free is out for me since they substitute with splenda etc I have an allergic reaction.

I exercise hard 3x week, light 2x week, take off on weekends. I call my Dr office If I am not sure about something and want to make sure I am taking the best course of action. I drink about 20oz Water and 20 oz Vitamin Water a day. I take Calcium supplements and some Vitamins but only what I need according to blood workups.

I never drink with a meal, when we go out to eat, I don't even let them bring me water. My husband says I am now the cheapest date he's ever had.

I have not banned any food from my meal plan. If I want a food, I ask myself, If I really want it. If I do, I try a small amount if Its the first time I have had it since a fill. If it goes down well, I know I can have it again. If it is a healthy good choice, great, If it is a treat, I limited it which so far has not been a problem. This keeps my life good. I am steadily losing, not throwing up, never gotten stuck, had chest pain, PBing, or any negative problems so It must be working.

I do eat mostly fresh or frozen foods, in that I do not like pre made foods, so I cook from scratch all the time no matter what it is with the exception of some Soup. So where I know many who use the new mini meals they have now which they like, I just can't do it. I also don't usually use protein shakes. I would rather get my protein by eating more of some food with it in it.

I think we all do what works for us and usually it really is what our Dr has helped us figure out. Since many of our Dr's use different methods we are going to see many different responses to this questions.

I don't count calories anymore. I know what size portion I can have

just cause I have been banded long enough. I try not to eat sugar, but I mess up on occasion. The rest of the rules are easy to follow.I don't drink with meals, I work out 6 days a week, I always eat Protein first.

I don't have caffeine but then I again, I have never been a coffee drinker. The only thing I drink is Water.< /p>

I don't count calories, occasionally I will do a rough estimate mainly to make sure I got enough for the day. I do not eat sugary things, I do try to stick with sugar free but I don't beat myself up if I do eat something sugary. I don't have anything with caffeine ever. I generally eat 3 meals per day, sometimes with a snack, sometimes not. I don't want to live my life on a 'diet' but I have changed my lifestyle significantly. As far as Protein goes, I strive for 60, but often don't get past 50.

I wasn't told to with hold caffeine either. What is the reasoning to do so?

Way to go Becky. You must feel so amazing. Truely an inspiration.

Do you still count calories?

I didn't at first, but just started to about 3 days ago- just to get an idea of how many I'm eating. I'm not limiting myself, just tracking for now.

Do you follow all the rules like no sugar just sugar free?

I have sugar sometimes, but I drink sugar free drinks. If I have a bite of cake or something, it's not sugar free.

No caffeine?

I never drank caffeine beforehand.

Eat your Protein first getting 60 grams a day?

Again, I didn't before, but I'm tracking it now about three days ago. I don't count it, but I eat my Protein first. I tend to get anywhere from 50-80, I'm okay with that.

Eat three meals a day?

eh, mostly. I have shake for Breakfast, if you want to call that eating a meal. I have a snack. lunch and dinner.

I drink coffee-doctor didn't say I coudn't.:tt2:

I don't consume sugar intentionly.:wink2:

I get my Protein requirements:cool2:

Right now my calories are about 1400 a day. I need a fill. I am not very "good" when I need a fill. I eat bread, and Pasta. (Getting a fill on July 20th.):lol:

I exercise 5 days a week. I burn 500 to 700 calories per day. I am very active.:lol:

I follow the rules I was given, but they're different to your rules in America.

I was told to eat a balanced diet of all food groups, based on the healthy food pyramid, to strive for a "normal" lifestyle which means treats like alcohol and chocolate are part of life on occasion and to get plenty of exercise, in any form I liked.

I've done that, its easy to follow the rules when there really arent any, lol.

I dont do Protein first, I dont count Protein, I dont count calories, I eat moderate amounts of sugar, I eat a lot of healthy carbs, I dont drink x ounces of Water a day, I dont ever touch Protein shakes because I was never told to do any of those things. I dont have an eating plan, I dont have down to the letter instructions from a personal trainer, I dont have a fill schedule I can get a big one or a small one as I feel I need it whenever I feel I need it, I'm driving this band and was only instructed to use it as I see fit.

I agree with the previous poster, to me, these things all signify tiresome dieting rules which got me where I was in the first place, I've thrown them out the window and now I just eat and live like a thin person.

I guess the most different think I would do than most of you, is where one previous poster says if she felt she wasnt going to be able to finish the meal, she'd leave the rest and eat the protein. I'd leave the protein and eat the veges. I do veges first, I think they're the most important.

My "rules" have been much the same as yours. I do count calories occasionally and did so much more in the beginning. In spite of what I thought I knew, I had a very distorted idea of what a portion was and how many calories were in each item. Now, I keep a rough track in my head and only use the online programs if I think I'm getting out of control. I have a pretty good idea now of what I can and can't get away with and I don't stress over little ups and downs, as long as I don't get carried away with the indulgences. Mostly, I just try to eat "healthy", choose low fat/low cal options and don't get ultra strict with myself, because that leads to rebellion and self-sabotage from me. I just want to live a normal life and eat and drink like a normal person and be a NORMAL SIZE.

My Doctor told me not to diet.

So here are the rules I was given.

Eat protiein FIRST then if still hungry veggie then carb

Exercise with focus on muscle training

If your servings are larger than what could fit on a salad plate you need a fill.

Try to avoid ice cream and candy

Don't chew gun

Don't have carbonation

---They are pretty simple so I follow the rules.

*Do you still count calories?*

I journal my food each day - I get in approx 1100-1200 cal per day

*Do you follow all the rules like no sugar / just sugar free?*

i make healthier food choices in general and was never crazed about sugar/sweets

*No caffeine?*

Drink 2-3 cups of coffee in the AM - was never told to avoid coffee/tea

* Eat your Protein first getting 60grams a day?*

i eat balanced meals, including fruits / veggies / whole grains. though my meals do include a lot of Protein, i do not pick which one i eat first & don't cringe if one day is higher than another.

*Eat 3 meals a day?*

I eat 3 meals plus one or 2 Snacks on average. Depends on the day & my activity level. I work out 5/6 days per wk.

The one thing I don't necessarily follow, which many are told they must is the no drinking w/meals. Not a Dr mandate for me. I'm full 4/5hrs between meals - don't graze or snack arbitrarily. I personally struggle getting fluids in, so my surgeon said not to worry about this - so I don't.