Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there one thing you hate or miss since having the surgery?

I havent been scheduled a surgery date yet but my surgeon has told me that I'm currently category 2 which basically means surgery within 3-6 months which I'm absolutely fine with. The thing that has me worried and thinking alot about it the things after surgery, they sound kind of petty and stupid to me when I think about them but I'm so used to these things I wonder how I'll be once I've lost the weight and from there on. So I thought I would make a list of things that I'm going to miss or find annoying.

• My boobs - Lol I know this sounds sooooo strange but it's true, I am so used to having big boobs that I don't want to loose them, I hear alot of accounts of people saying personally for them that's the first place it goes and hopefully I won't be like that.
  • Wrinkles - I'm only 20 but I've noticed that bigger people don't have as many wrinkles on there face, I'm not really looking forward to the fact that my skin isn't smoothed out and eventually it will get wrinkles.
  • Pasta, bread, Rice - I think as stupid as this is to say, this will be the major thing, I'm italian and I have Pasta almost every single week, I've grown up on it and yes I know some people still have it maybe once a month but it will definetly be really hard. I have bread almost every day. Rice & Pasta almost once a week, whether it be fried rice for dinner or a fresh bread roll for lunch with ham,cheese and tomatoe.

So that's kind of my rant about the things I won't be able to eat and if I do only once every 2 months or with the case of bread - only toasted.

So what are the things you miss and wish you could just have them once every 6 months without some consequence?

what i miss the most is diet Pepsi. i crave it every day. hi, my name is kris and i'm an addict! bread is another big one. the only thing that makes up for it is that i can still have cheese!

Hello! I was just banded on May 27th 2008. I think one of the things I will miss the most is PIZZA! I wasnt a pizza addict to begin with but it seems that pizza is the one thing that sticks out in my mind of something I cant have that I may really want some day! Ive given up Pepsi, Pasta, rice, potatoes and bread but dont really know how I will deal with giving up pizza. Good luck to you all!

Hi,

I was Banded on Jan. 1st. I've lost 65lbs. The only thing I can't eat is hamburg, believe it or not. That and tuna I have a hard time getting down. Other than that I eat pizza, Pasta, most everything. Just very little compared to pre-surgery. :-)

I was banded March 28, 2008 and I thought I would not make it when I could not have diet cokes, but I do not even like them now or want them! I have lost 42 pds. and basically eat what I want, but in tiny well chew amounts, except for red meat:) I exerise daily with a rountine:) I do not eat much Pasta but have had some in sm. amounts. I did lose my boobs, but I can always get somemore later:) and I feel one hundred times better then before surgery! I had my surgery in Mexacilli Mexico and that was a great experiece too! Once you go the thirty days on liquids and soft foods, your taste changes, so you my be in for a good surprise! I wish you well:)

The only thing I miss is a good boar's head roast beef sandwich on Publix italian sandwich bread.< /p>

HI Sara R.

I can see where it will be a big change for you if you can't have those foods that you are used to having. I loved to eat those things to, well, not Pasta so much, but certianly rice, potatoes and bread. However, since I"ve been banded, I have to say it's not that hard to go without some of those starchy carbs.

What I found is that with the band you really get focused on healthy foods, with the least 'wasteful' calories, to get enough Protein and loose weight. Even though I'm ready for another fill, I still find I can't eat as much volume as before - so those thiings that take up a lot of space, like bread, Pasta, don't appeal as much. Because if I eat them, then I don't get enough Protein. Or, the concentrated carb food are so high in calories, that I am actually hungry later and don't have any calories left to add a snack.< /p>

Having said that, I still eat small amounts of pasta, rice. And toasted bread - I haven't tried soft bread. And if you eat SOME, but not the amount you used to eat, it doesn't seem like you are deprived.

As far as boobs, well, never had much on that account so can't help you there! And wrinkles, well, I'm over 50 so I just expect that will be so. HOWEVER, I believe w/ the weight I've already lost, I actually look younger! At least at this point... When I reach my goal, I expect to look like a char-pei! So, start saving for plastic surgery!

Best wishes with your decision!

I didn't lose my boobs! I wish I did. I've decrease in bra size but not cup size. Gone from a 46DD to a 38DD. Those boobs are "hanging" in there! OMG

I miss alot of foods that I didn't think I would. Burgers, bread, Pasta. I struggle. Red meat (which is/always has been my favorite) chicken breast, no white meat for me, I have to have the dark now and only small amounts chewed very well.

But most important is not what you will miss, but what you will NOT miss.

I don't miss going up the stairs huffing and puffing.

I don't miss not being able to sit in a booth at a resturant.

I don't miss stuggling to zip my jeans because I refuse to buy the next size or two up.

I don't miss feeling guilty everytime I popped something in my mouth. Like I had no right to be eating because I was too fat.

I don't miss the lack of energy.

I could just go on and on.

To address your issues from my perspective only -

My boobs are smaller - (US evivalent [i'm an Aussie]) 22DD to 8-10D-C currently. I'm in proportion with my frame though. I haven't mourned the lost of my cup size, it makes being active MUCH easier.

Wrinkles - I was banded at 27 years old and am almost 30, I look younger now in my face than I did at the time I was a banded because of the weight loss. If you are talking about stomach and other body areas for loose skin, well I have some, but an amount I can live with and disguise at 30. Its a hell of a lot better than I was 18 months ago being mordidlt obese!

I eat Pasta and rice often, daily almost. bread I cut out cos the yeast did horrible things to my body not cos I coudln't eat it. I don't even know if I can with my band! Each person is different, you'll have to see how you tolerate your band to see what foods you can eat confortably.

I don't miss much....everything is worth from where I am.....

What happened for me is that food became just that: food. It's not a BIG source of pleasure. I get satisfaction and pleasure from other things almost exclusively now. It is a change that seems to have happened automatically.

Food=fuel