Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sliming for 24 Hours -- starting to panic!!

Hey everyone --

I have a question -- I just got banded last Friday and was doing great -- already down 11 lbs in a week and feeling really good. I had moved to the full liquids portion of the diet and wasn't having any problems. Last night however I had some cream based Soup -- which was on my list of approved items. Anyways -- I think I may have started sliming but I'm not sure -- I have this heavy mucus feeling in the back of my throat but nothing is coming up and I have no urge to PB. I called my doctor this morning and he said it should pass in an hour or two -- said it was probably due to the Soup. Anyway -- here I am a full day later and I still have the sensation -- I don't have any pain and nothing is really coming up just a super flemmy feeling in the back of my throat. I can deal with it if its sure term -- but I am panicing -- is this feeling going to be with me for the rest of my life with the band b/c i don't think I could handle that. Has anyone ou there had this sensation? Any suggestions? Did it ever go away -- please help I am truly starting to freak out.. as always, thanks these boards are a life saver.

Sliming is more when you can't swallow your saliva and the mucous from your stomach. It comes up and has to come out, because there is nowhere else for it to go. Believe me, it's not just a feeling in your throat; it's thick mucous everywhere (sorry to be gross).

You may have some swelling so it feels like liquid is backing up into your throat, but if nothing is coming up, that means it's going down. I wouldn't worry unless you are unable to get any liquids down. If that happens call your doctor asap. You might want to go back on Clear Liquids a while longer, and drink them very slowly.

Hey everyone --

I have a question -- I just got banded last Friday and was doing great -- already down 11 lbs in a week and feeling really good. I had moved to the full liquids portion of the diet and wasn't having any problems. Last night however I had some cream based Soup -- which was on my list of approved items. Anyways -- I think I may have started sliming but I'm not sure -- I have this heavy mucus feeling in the back of my throat but nothing is coming up and I have no urge to PB. I called my doctor this morning and he said it should pass in an hour or two -- said it was probably due to the soup. Anyway -- here I am a full day later and I still have the sensation -- I don't have any pain and nothing is really coming up just a super flemmy feeling in the back of my throat. I can deal with it if its sure term -- but I am panicing -- is this feeling going to be with me for the rest of my life with the band b/c i don't think I could handle that. Has anyone ou there had this sensation? Any suggestions? Did it ever go away -- please help I am truly starting to freak out.. as always, thanks these boards are a life saver.

Well, it's been almost 2 years and I'm still sliming and throwing up certain foods because I can't stand the sensation. I haven't had a fill

for a year for fear the sliming will be worse. I am just stuck at my 40

lb. loss and that's it, because I am scared of more throwing up.Not to

mention the funny sounds my stomach makes and my throat. I ask about the throwing up thing but so many people lied to me. I can't really say weither I am glad I had it done or not. I wish I had just stayed on the South Beach Diet because I was slowly losing . Oh yeah,

I also developed panic attacks after the surgery!

Anniemay

i don't think you are sliming. It has to come out. You are probably still irritated from the breathing tube that was in you throat. I would not panic. It will go away. I was the same way when I moved to soft foods. If you start to throw up or spit up mucus then you will need to worry but right now I would just take it easy and try not to worry.

Kellye

i don't think you are sliming. It has to come out. You are probably still irritated from the breathing tube that was in you throat. I would not panic. It will go away. I was the same way when I moved to soft foods. If you start to throw up or spit up mucus then you will need to worry but right now I would just take it easy and try not to worry.

Kellye

I don't get why you can't still do the South Beach Diet. That diet is very band friendly. In fact, there is an old thread around here for people

on the South Beach Diet. You could do a thread search and find it.

Sliming is more that your mouth fills up with Water and you have to spit

it out. Swallowing it is the worse thing because there is more to follow.

It is thicker than Water, but it happens when food is stuck. It's your body's way of getting the stuck food to go down. I don't think

cream Soup could get stuck. It would go right through the band.

I agree with possible irritation from the intubation (breathing tube). Try drinking warm fluids for a while.