Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just need to vent

Guest BiCoastal

Once again I've hit a snag in this process and I'm about ready to just give up - is it meant to happen or am I forcing something that isn't meant to be?

I found out yesterday that my pcp wouldn't give me clearance until he saw me in person. THis makes perfect sense except the surgeon's office told me that they just fax the pre test results to him and he just signs off and sends it back. So after a week and a half of pestering my pcp's office and asking when is he going to send it over to the surgeon's office, they told me yesterday I needed to actually come in to see him. Ok fine - my surgery is Tuesday today is Thursday, another explaination to work about me needing time (praying they don't fire me). I get there today and he examines me- all is a-ok until he reads something that the surgeon's office sent over something about me needing an esophagram :biggrin:. Stupid me thought that the xray they took during the pre-testing at the hospital was one in the same. This was the first I had heard of it being different and I only have 2 days to get it done. He also notices that my EKG that they sent is only one page (apparently it should be more than that?). So he calls about both of these issues - of course no one answers and he leaves a vm.

My pcp called about an hour later to tell me that I needed the test and that my surgeon's office was supposed to call me to give me the instructions. 3 hours goes by, no word from them. I call and the lady says 'Oh I need to talk to you, hold on' and puts me on hold for awhile and then ever so rudely says to me 'Why didn't you get it done?' Gee I don't know, because I thought it would be great way to try to get fired and it would be such a fun challenge to see if we (the pcp, the surgeon, the patient and the hospital) can all get this STUFF together in less than 2 days. I nearly reached through the phone and ripped her throat out. Then she says 'oh just go to any radiography place and get it done' - gee thanks for those very clear and precise instructions, I'm glad I waited for you to call me with this important info - oh wait you didn't call me I had to call you! Luckily I have an appointment tomorrow to get it done (yet another request for more time off from work).

It really irks me how I've been following up with them for over 2 weeks and all they kept telling me was that I needed the clearance form from my pcp and they had everything else. I could have handled all of this far better than I am right now if I had known they were waiting for that and of course had I not been so stupid to not know that an xray is not the same as this thing.

I'm afraid this will derail my surgery Tuesday and the surgeon has already moved it once. I can't stay on this liquid diet forever - if I had the strength to do that I wouldn't be in this boat to begin with. Its as if just when I'm about to reach a mile marker it moves back another mile. It also has me thinking, the 'issues' I've had in trying to get this done - are they supposed to be signs that I shouldn't do this? I'm so upset and confused. :confused2:

Trust me, you have come to the right place to vent! Heaven knows I've done my share on here and it always seems to help me get it off my chest and someone always comes through for me with some words of encouragement and answers to any questions I might have. It sounds like you've been working with some incompentent people. I seriously doubt your doctors know what's been going on, but I'd darn sure make sure they found out. There was no excuse for the behavior of the nurse that told you to just go to any radiology department and get it done. I know what you mean about worrying about taking off work but depending on what you do for a living, you should be able to go back to work fairly soon after your surgery. I had mine done on a Friday and went back to work on Tuesday. I could have gone back Monday but I wanted to milk it one more day. But I have a job where it's mostly sitting, so that's why I went back to quickly. Plus like you, I didn't have that much time I could be away from work. I know you're discouraged right now but trust me, it'll be so worth it to you after you jump through all the hoops they're throwing at you. Good luck and I hope things from now on go a lot smoother for you! Hang in there cause it's really so worth it. I'm living proof that it can and does work! Note the word living...I wasted too many years of my life being fat and now I have my life back. Again, good luck!

I would be a little hesitant to go with an office that has shown total and utter disregard for the details. "Just go to any radiography place" - WTF?!? Like you can easily walk in anywhere and say "Gimme an esophagram and a large diet coke".

Find somebody else that actually shows concern for their patients.

BiCoastal... I'm sending you a big hug girl!!!! Shesh, what a run around. Stay strong and keep your chin up. Soon enough you will be telling us about your weight loss. And I'll be green with envy; I can't even get an appointment with a surgeon yet. :thumbup:

Deb

Guest BiCoastal

Just wanted to say thanks for all your kindness. I had the test done this morning (oh by the way I had to wait an hour for them to fax over the correct script - and yes their office is in the same building!!!).

As fate would have it I met a few of our fellow forum friends there - all post surgery and everyone said they were doing well and were happy with their decisions. We got to talking and turns out that NONE of them (4) had this test done prior to surgery - we have different doctors but of the same practice. I'll have to chuck that up to different doctors want different things but needless to say I wanted to break down and bawl right there.

I have just about had it with the office staff there. I must have my file tagged for - give worst possible service to this patient - because believe me I'm not this lucky. I must sound like a total B but I'm really really not, I just have no patience for incompetent people. And I just LOVE my surgeon. She is fantastic, extremely knowledgable and caring and even came in on a day she wasn't supposed to be in to see me for my consult. I don't want to complain to her just yet (sort of how you don't want to piss off the waitress before she brings your food) but believe me I will. I'm also considering going an hour away to get my fills and follow up in her other office just to get away from these people. And as a topper I've GAINED 4lbs overnight. I don't know how as I havn't changed anything :w00t:

So after another vent from me my point is I just want to say thank you to all of you for your support and kindness. I'm going to take this weekend to decompress and try to relax for surgery on Tuesday.

You know....healthcare staff really p*ss me off. Its like they dont realize that they are providing a service, and you are a PAYING CUSTOMER (without you they wouldnt be getting paid by the ins. company!). I am glad that you made the reference to the waitress, because really, its not all that different. They think that they can talk down to people, demean them, be rude, and we will just keep coming back and giving them our money. I actually left a doctor because his office staff was so rude to me, so I decided to take my "business" elsewhere. Another time, I had to get off work early to drive to see a doctor that was an hour away from my home. When I got out of work, my car had a dead battery. So I had to hurry up and find someone to help me jump my car. I got a late start, so in an attempt to be courteous I called them and let them know that I might be 15 minutes late. (Mind you I have been seeing this doctor for 7 years, and my mom has been going there for 20 years and neither of us had EVER been late to an appointment before). They said that if I was 10 minutes late, then I would have to reschedule my appointment! I said "If I have to reschedule my appointment, it will be with a different doctor." So I rushed to get in on time, and I made it approximately 8 minutes late. I was standing at the check-in counter and I heard a woman in the back saying "Abby called and said that she was going to be late, and when I told her if she was 10 minutes late then she would have to reschedule, she said then it would be with a different doctor." And another lady said "oh my god, what a bitch." They didnt know that I was standing there. I said "Don't worry, I made it here just in time!" and gave her a little smile. They were both shocked that I heard them. If I didnt love my doctor then I would definitely have changed doctors right then and there.

I am beginning to think that some of these doctor's staffs don't realize how much we want this surgery and how much more excited and anxious we get with each step closer to the surgery date. My psychologist e-mailed me to let me know he was faxing his report -- the last thing I needed. I called the surgeon's office the next day to make sure the insurance lady got it. She replied "Well, if he faxed it, it is here somewhere." Ok. Then I asked her that when she had everything together and submitted it to the insurance company, could she call and let me know (my insurance company approves in 3-5 days, so I wanted to know when it was sent). She replied "If I remember." Great customer service!

I attended a support group meeting for my surgeon's office on Tuesday evening and everyone from his office said to stay on top of her. Ok, I will. I called Wednesday morning, left a message, no reply. I called Wednesday afternoon, left a message, no reply. At 5:15 pm, she calls me at work to say she had submitted it Tuesday morning. Great!!

I have read so many posts here that things fall through the cracks, so I called the insurance company to see if they had received it. Guess what? No record of it. Called the surgeon's office and she swears that she has a confirmation number that it was received. Alright. Called the insurance company again today and they said they received it 5/30/2008 (yep, TODAY) at 9:38am. Hmmmm. Are you thinking what I'm thinking.......

I will say something to the office manager or surgeon after my surgery. Up until now I have had a pretty smooth ride, with getting in earlier to appointments due to other cancellations and such so I am trying not to get too upset, but poor customer service just kills me. Especially since this is our choice to get the surgery and we have chosen their office to do it. I am extremely happy with everyone else in my surgeon's office and looking forward to getting my approval so I don't have to deal with this woman anymore.

Sorry to go on so long, but I do feel better...

Hugs, Suzanne