Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Enough Protein :-(

So....I was banded last Friday. And all through about Monday or so I had absolutely no appetite. I have the AP band and my doc filled it with 3cc's during surgery. Today I feel okay, a little gas pain in the shoulder every now and then. But I am getting very sad.

I can't stomach any of my Protein shakes, powdered or premixed. Not that I get sick, but I can't make myself drink them. All of a sudden they taste so bad and I do the hold my nose thing, rinse with Water, but since I have to sip it takes forever! I feel like I'm the only one with this problem. Today is the first day I've felt slightly hungry...so I sipped some shake, had some Water, and about half a cup of SF Jello.

I am worried that I am hurting my body by not getting the Protein but am really trying to drink them..........when I start mushies on Monday maybe I can add something to food or Soup but I am totally scared right now.....

I had surgery on Saturday. I just got this Protein mix from Unjury.com that is really good. It is flavorless so you can add it to any food or drink you like. They also have a chicken Soup flavor, and a few others that sound good. I havent tried those, but I heard that they are really good. Also, try Kelloggs K2O protein Water. It has 5 grams of protein per bottle. Not as much as the shakes, but its a good supplement to your other protein sources. They make it in bottles, and also in the little packets that you mix with bottled water. I got the pink lemonade packets and they taste just like any other pink lemonade...really good. Another thing I found was this Protein Powder called "Lean Shake" at GNC. It has 9 grams of protein per shake, is low carb and low calorie, and it has Vitamins in nutrients in it too (I am sure if you are lacking protein you are lacking these too!). I got the chocolate flavor and they are really good....very rich and chocolatey. Just a few ideas for you! Good luck!

I think our taste buds are in the Twilight Zone. The day after surgery, I tried some chicken broth and it made me sick and the thought of it still makes me sick. I'm loving the shakes. I had some wonton Soup last night and it tasted so salty, I couldn't eat much of it. I'm sick of sweet, I want salty, but it's just not tasting right!

Aftereffects from surgery can really do some strange things! Give your body some time to get over it...as long as you're not hungry, I owuldn't stress too much about it. And I have a feeling you'll wake up one mornig soon and realize it's all coming back quickly!! Hang in there...you'll be fine.

I had to really force myself to drink after surgery. I used the unjury flavorless powder and put it my creamed Soups. It had no flavor. I don't like any of the vanilla or chocolate shakes and haven't had to use them at all.

That said, I don't think that you are going to do any because of the lack of Protein in such a short period of time. The body is pretty resilient. I would try the Unjury and use that until you transition to pureed foods. Once you are on pureed foods you shouldn't have any problem getting your Protein via food rather than protein powder.

Thank you guys I feel better already....trying not to beat myself up but I will still try to get in nutrition as much as I can. Funny enough as I type this the Sponsor ad at the bottom is Unjury protein! Thanks again.....I can't wait until I can have a scrambled egg! Although I'm not really hungry it will just feel good :-)

Hi Enigma!

I was drinking these great bottled drinks that I got at GNC called Isopure. They are 40g of Protein in 20oz of liquid. Not bad!! They come in flavors like grape, orange, apple melon, and taste like fruity Water.

I need to get 85g of Protein in a day and found that by drinking 3 of these a day made it pretty easy.

I am on pureed foods and am finding it much more difficult to get all my protein in. I will have to start drinking the Isopure in between my meals to help make up the difference.

Give it a try - you are doing great!

Terri

Hi Enigma!

I was drinking these great bottled drinks that I got at GNC called Isopure. They are 40g of Protein in 20oz of liquid. Not bad!! They come in flavors like grape, orange, apple melon, and taste like fruity Water.

I need to get 85g of Protein in a day and found that by drinking 3 of these a day made it pretty easy.

I am on pureed foods and am finding it much more difficult to get all my protein in. I will have to start drinking the Isopure in between my meals to help make up the difference.

Give it a try - you are doing great!

Terri

Does your Dr. require you to take in 85g of protein? Please make sure to drink more Water if you are taking in that much protein. The water will help your kidneys filter more effectively.

Thanks lunabeane!

The nutritionist at the hospital gave me that number. I didn't think it was high until after I got home and looked at people on this site's Protein requirement! I see her again in a few weeks, I will ask her again (she even wrote it down in my paperwork!) Luckily I am on pureed foods this week and I won't get anywhere near 85g of Protein in!

Thanks for the info about drinking more water!

Will do! :thumbup:

Terri

Wow 85 is a lot....yes drink plenty of Water. My requirement is 40-60grams

It will be easier for you to reach your 60g or Protein once you are on pureed food I reach about 40g by mid-day.

Cottage Cheese: 10g Protein

pureed Black Beans with 2% Lowfat cheese and Taco Sauce: 14g protein

Starbucks tall Decaf americano with 2 tablespoons of half and half, a package of sugar free chocolate carnation instant Breakfast and a tablespoon of natural Peanut Butter...in the magic bullet: 15g protein

8oz of V8: 2g protein

Total: 41g of Protein

For dinner I usually have 3 oz of blended tuna fish with light mayonaise: 21g protein

Total: 62g of protein

If you don't have a magic bullet or some other type of small hand blender I really recommend it. You have a lot more food options if you have one.

I'm with you on the Protein shakes. I bought some to try out before surgery and couldn't stand them either. It was the smell that got me more than the taste. However, I did get some of the Isopure and am drinking one now, not bad, it's the punch flavor. I will definitely get more of these for after surgery! Also found a tasteless Protein powder called 'Any Whey' at GNC that you can add to other foods.

My nutrtionist gave me a goal of 65 gms Protein post surgery (75 for men) and a minimum goal of 30 to 40 gms.

Thank you guys for your encouragement and suggestions....mushies are Monday and I can't wait!