Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hey Long, boy would my dh love to be out there with your group. He is a big time hunter. He was Illinois sportsman of the year a few years ago. He does it all. Has been elk hunting. Anyway you sure are doing great with your weight loss. I was banded on June 18th so we are both June bugs. I'm not loosing quite as fast as you but we are all different. Anyway sounds like you had some fun out there this weekend. good for you:tongue2:

Beckyo

Hi friends. Today is Sunday afternoon. I could not get on for some reason last night. Nothing spectacular this weekend. Went to a couple of juried fine arts fairs. Bought some gorgeous earrings. I love jewelry that is artist made. I love to shop also. Well since I had my little fill on Tuesday, nothing is any different. I went 24 hours on Clear liquids and then on to fulls and mushies and now regular. I got 05cc put in and it did absolutely nothing for me. Yesterday I made pot of chilli with extra lean ground round, I had Protein Drink, coffee Cereal for b, lunch was nothing, early dinner I had bowl of chilli with a handful of oyster crackers. Then about an hour later, I had another bowl of chilli with no crackers. Felt satisfied then so at bedtime I had a sf pudding. I got on the daily plate last night and fooled around with that. According to them, I need to eat 1250 calories (thats with no exercise) a day for my weight in order to loose 3 lbs a week.I do try to walk every day. Today is Sunday and again, I am starving right now. I am going to call the Dr office tomorrow and see what they say. Anyway still trying to behave but am frustrated since I am so hungry. See ya tonight.

Beckyo

Becky - you did good on your calories and that is what counts - I am sorry that you are struggling so - Yes call your doctor -

You are making good choices so Keep up the Good Work you are doing...

OMG OMG OMG!!! I am so thrilled!! I just got home from my weekend trip to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. We were at about 8 to 10 thousand feet elevation. The past 2 years when we went I could hardly walk or hike as I would get so winded and my chest would just burn. It was a pain just to walk to the 'comfort stations'.

I got all the way down by the lake and I realized, I'M NOT OUT OF BREATH! We walked all over and never did get winded. Then we went into the nat'l park and met up with our friends. She wanted to go for a walk around the campground. IT WAS HILLY!

I was a little panicked but too embarassed to say no I can't, so off we went. I DID IT!! Got a tad winded on one hill but no more so than anyone else.

. And we did a bunch more walking, in and out of the car etc. I truly didn't think my cardio exercise was much to improve my stamina but it's a whole lot more than I did before (nothing) plus I am carrying 63 less pounds around. Hubby said strap on a 63 lb backpack and see how winded you get. All in all a very good weekend, we had a fabulous time, cooked a healthy meal of wild salmon over the fire and I did have 1 s'more. The gal we met struggles with weight as well so I told her all about my surgery. She hadn't seen me since before surgery.

Lori - CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GREAT NSV - don't you feel liberated withouth those 63 lbs that you were carrying around - it just gets better..

Hey Long, boy would my dh love to be out there with your group. He is a big time hunter. He was Illinois sportsman of the year a few years ago. He does it all. Has been elk hunting. Anyway you sure are doing great with your weight loss. I was banded on June 18th so we are both June bugs. I'm not loosing quite as fast as you but we are all different. Anyway sounds like you had some fun out there this weekend. good for you:tongue2:

Beckyo

Becky - My Xdh would go hunting/shooting poor little bambi's with my BIL :girl_hug:

Becky - My Xdh would go hunting/shooting poor little bambi's with my BIL :girl_hug:

My DH is an avid hunter too. He'd have loved to see those elk hunting. But alas these are smart elk, they are either in the city limits (right downtown) or in the National Park where they are protected. He's going deer hunting in a few weeks. I used to hate it but I'm okay with it now. he doesn't hunt for trophies, though if he gets them all the better, he does won't hunt anything he won't eat. In fact, he hates goose, but hunts it anyway as it's fun so he eats all his geese and tries to find creative ways to fix them. I just put in a frozen Gortons grilled fish filet in the oven for myself when he eats all his hunts. :biggrin: Our grocery bill goes way down then.

My DH is an avid hunter too. He'd have loved to see those elk hunting. But alas these are smart elk, they are either in the city limits (right downtown) or in the National Park where they are protected. He's going deer hunting in a few weeks. I used to hate it but I'm okay with it now. he doesn't hunt for trophies, though if he gets them all the better, he does won't hunt anything he won't eat. In fact, he hates goose, but hunts it anyway as it's fun so he eats all his geese and tries to find creative ways to fix them. I just put in a frozen Gortons grilled fish filet in the oven for myself when he eats all his hunts. :girl_hug: Our grocery bill goes way down then.

Last time xDH & BIL went hunting - they got a deer - and I saw the carcus/body as they took it out of the ice chest - they cooked it - I tasted it - tasted like spoiled meat to me - I think cuz I saw the body..

Lori, congratulations on your weekend!!!! "Keeping up" and doing things like that are exactly the reasons I had the lap band surgery. It wasn't vanity, although I wish it were - even a little - but it was so that I could m-o-v-e! YOU DID IT!!!!

Becky, you are doing such an amazing job and I'm envious of the "right choices" you are making. I have a question, if you don't mind. Are you starving because you are physically hungry or are you head hungry? I'm still doing battle with the head hunger and I haven't found a way to tame it yet. The fill did very little, if anything, although after overeating yesterday, I was in a little bit of pain, which I actually think was good for me. Maybe I'll wait a little before I eat too much again. I haven't PB'd or slimed or anything. (Is that the right terminology? What does PB mean anyway?)

Janet, Mia, thank you for your e-mails. They are dealing with exactly where I'm at right now. I've read them once and am going back to read them again!!!!!! I think I really did expect that this band would be the perfect miracle and as you say, Janet, it's a tool. We have to work the miracle.

I'm still trying.

Love,

Ellen

Ellen,

PB = Productive Burp, I thought that was such a funny term when I first heard it. It's when you over eat or eat something too big and it gets stuck in your pouch and then comes back up. It's like throwing up but it's only the food, not the stomach acids etc. like regular vomiting. Sliming is when the food is stuck and you produce a lot of saliva to aid in the digestion of the food that is stuck. But when you try and swallow there's no room for even the saliva to go down. I've PB'd a couple times and it was both times preceded by slming and that seems to what pushed me over the edge. Both times were in the car after eating on the run and both times it was on the french fry I stole from my husband. :redface: I never get them but when he has them I snitch one just for the taste. That'll teach me.

Ellen,

PB = Productive Burp, I thought that was such a funny term when I first heard it. It's when you over eat or eat something too big and it gets stuck in your pouch and then comes back up. It's like throwing up but it's only the food, not the stomach acids etc. like regular vomiting. Sliming is when the food is stuck and you produce a lot of saliva to aid in the digestion of the food that is stuck. But when you try and swallow there's no room for even the saliva to go down. I've PB'd a couple times and it was both times preceded by slming and that seems to what pushed me over the edge. Both times were in the car after eating on the run and both times it was on the french fry I stole from my husband. :) I never get them but when he has them I snitch one just for the taste. That'll teach me.

Darn it Lori - you can't get away with anything! :redface:

Lori, congratulations on your weekend!!!! "Keeping up" and doing things like that are exactly the reasons I had the lap band surgery. It wasn't vanity, although I wish it were - even a little - but it was so that I could m-o-v-e! YOU DID IT!!!!

Becky, you are doing such an amazing job and I'm envious of the "right choices" you are making. I have a question, if you don't mind. Are you starving because you are physically hungry or are you head hungry? I'm still doing battle with the head hunger and I haven't found a way to tame it yet. The fill did very little, if anything, although after overeating yesterday, I was in a little bit of pain, which I actually think was good for me. Maybe I'll wait a little before I eat too much again. I haven't PB'd or slimed or anything. (Is that the right terminology? What does PB mean anyway?)

Janet, Mia, thank you for your e-mails. They are dealing with exactly where I'm at right now. I've read them once and am going back to read them again!!!!!! I think I really did expect that this band would be the perfect miracle and as you say, Janet, it's a tool. We have to work the miracle.

I'm still trying.

Love,

Ellen

Ellen you are doing !!! It takes a while to get the hang of this and proper restriction really does help.

I am very fortunate that I got to my sweet spot on my 2nd fill. So I had that going for me.. But that being said I did go thru Thanksgiving and Xmas - and the band doesn't stop Cookies or candy - I said no - I am not starting and I didn't - I avoided all the junk in the office - How you might ask - well my trade off was if I said no to all the office junk then I could say yes when it came time to make Xmas Cookies with Granddaughters.. That was my trade off - I also exercised more another trade off..

It's all about the trade offs - If I have this treat - I have to exercise more or eat a smaller meal the next time I eat - Well that little bit of candy or cookie wasn't and still isn't worth the extra exercise or less food at my next meal.. I look at a piece of cheese cake 700 it will be gone in 5 bites and I will still be hungry - well for 700 calories I can have 4 oz of fish and some veggie and rice and still lose weight..

I still read lables - look at the food you want to eat and subtract those calories from your budget - I rather have real food that will keep me full longer than the junk - Well 98% of the time :)

For me I find that my head hunger manifest it's self into me truely thinking I am still hungry... And this in its self is a revelation - I am stuffed after dinner - but I still want to eat - I feel hungry - but my tummy is full - it makes no sense - but once you get good restriction you will see what I am talking about..

:thumbup:

Ellen,

PB = Productive Burp, I thought that was such a funny term when I first heard it. It's when you over eat or eat something too big and it gets stuck in your pouch and then comes back up. It's like throwing up but it's only the food, not the stomach acids etc. like regular vomiting. Sliming is when the food is stuck and you produce a lot of saliva to aid in the digestion of the food that is stuck. But when you try and swallow there's no room for even the saliva to go down. I've PB'd a couple times and it was both times preceded by slming and that seems to what pushed me over the edge. Both times were in the car after eating on the run and both times it was on the french fry I stole from my husband. :redface: I never get them but when he has them I snitch one just for the taste. That'll teach me.

Yep it's those little things that we snag that will get us stuck - it's that one more bite :)

Ellen,

PB = Productive Burp, I thought that was such a funny term when I first heard it. It's when you over eat or eat something too big and it gets stuck in your pouch and then comes back up. It's like throwing up but it's only the food, not the stomach acids etc. like regular vomiting. Sliming is when the food is stuck and you produce a lot of saliva to aid in the digestion of the food that is stuck. But when you try and swallow there's no room for even the saliva to go down. I've PB'd a couple times and it was both times preceded by slming and that seems to what pushed me over the edge. Both times were in the car after eating on the run and both times it was on the french fry I stole from my husband. :) I never get them but when he has them I snitch one just for the taste. That'll teach me.

You explain those so well and I know them only too well. Keeps us on our toes. Those episodes are a learning experience- every painful time!

Joannemarie- Hi! You are right! We cannot get away with anything. Enjoy those last pain free fries.

My knee shots went ok today. No relief...yet!(hopeful) Good Luck! Sorry your insurance company is such a pain.:redface:

Hi tonight! Well I had a better day today. Ellen, I am really hungry. I know what head hunger is. I am very much in control right now of my choices because I want this soo bad. But, when you are hungry, you just are. Now I am doing the daily plate very very cautiously to see what is up. For two days I didn't have enough calories according to them and my weight. When I walk then that gives me even less calories since I burn them off. So, that being said, I am going to get the correct amount of calories in and see if that helps. Today I had unjury/skim milk B, L was toasted cheese on light wheat and fat free cheese and half cucumber slices. Supper was 5oz ribeye steak, 1/4 b potato with sour cream and mixed green vegetables. It finally stuck. I have not been hungry all evening. We will see. I am going to master this if this is the last thing I do. That Daily Plate website is really helpful in every thing you eat. It calculates it all out in black and white. I like that. If I was satisfied on a small amount of food like some of you are, I would have it made in the shade since I am in control. when hungry, thats when I start thinking the wrong way. Im glad today was better.

Beckyo:thumbup:

Hello All!

Becky - I can't recommend doing the dailyplate recording thing highly enough! I know I used to do really DUMB calculations in my head, where I would underestimate everything, and then convince myself that 5 chocolate bars, 2 packets of crisps/chips, several sanwiches, a full fat dinner, a couple of eggs, more chocolate and a pot of ice cream couldn't be more than 2000 - which is the daily limit right?! Its only when you really see how much you're putting in - you realise- I could walk solidly for a whole day (a full 24 hours!) and not get rid of what I've eaten in 3/4 days. I use nutrcheck (a uk site) and it also tells you how many portions of fruit and veg I should eat, and from someone who used to choke at the sight of an apple - I pleased to report that today, I ate 162% of my recommended daily portion of fruit and veg!

Ellen - I think if you can whip the head hunger - you really are there, and the weight will come off slowly but steadily.

My personal view is that we are rarely ever REALLY hungry. We might feel like eating, but that's very different to being hungry. I used to think I couldn't have my evening meal without something sweet after. With the band (and I think with 3 fills, I am now at my sweet spot) you have to eat slowly, so you learn to savour the food, and after a very short time, you realise..." I'm full!" In fact, yesterday I took my DH quite by surprise by bellowing exactly that at him whilst we were quietly eating dinner! :smile:

I also think that the sweet spot has to be in your mind as well as your band. You could probably have maximum restriction and keep shoving soft calories down your neck. Ice Cream, Milkshakes, anything mushy with high fat and sugar slips down FAR too easily! In fact, the band is bad in that sense, because I find that truly bad food, with little nutritional value goes down a treat, whereas the good stuff takes work - especally, for me, broccoli!

The other advantage of recording is that you realise - wow - I'm eating tons of food - I can't possily be hungry. I record everythign I plan to eat, and through the day, if I don't have it, I'll either move it down to later in the day, or delete it! I have to say, there's nothing like being a fat girl, looking at a record of what you've eaten, and thinking OMG - for once in my life I DIDN'T overdo it!! Seriously - it makes you high!:confused: Then if you lose weight - you kind of remember those moments, and not the ones where everyone except you was eating double chocolate fudge cake with chocolate sauce, cream and ice cream!:wink_smile:

My main reason for having the op was because I wanted to be like a "normal" person. I don't want to be the fat one anymore. I want to shop normally, I want to wear things everyone else is wearing. I'm (fairly!)normal in most ways - good job, great family, my weight was the only thing not so great, and now I AM going to change that.

Thanks for reading my speech! Would love to know other people's reasons for opting for the band. People's personal stories are always so fascinating!

Mxx

Hi tonight! Well I had a better day today. Ellen, I am really hungry. I know what head hunger is. I am very much in control right now of my choices because I want this soo bad. But, when you are hungry, you just are. Now I am doing the daily plate very very cautiously to see what is up. For two days I didn't have enough calories according to them and my weight. When I walk then that gives me even less calories since I burn them off. So, that being said, I am going to get the correct amount of calories in and see if that helps. Today I had unjury/skim milk B, L was toasted cheese on light wheat and fat free cheese and half cucumber slices. Supper was 5oz ribeye steak, 1/4 b potato with sour cream and mixed green vegetables. It finally stuck. I have not been hungry all evening. We will see. I am going to master this if this is the last thing I do. That Daily Plate website is really helpful in every thing you eat. It calculates it all out in black and white. I like that. If I was satisfied on a small amount of food like some of you are, I would have it made in the shade since I am in control. when hungry, thats when I start thinking the wrong way. Im glad today was better.

Beckyo:thumbup:

Becky - See you ate hard Protein you were full... That's the biggest secert to control your hunger... I am glad you had a good day...

Hello All!

Becky - I can't recommend doing the dailyplate recording thing highly enough! I know I used to do really DUMB calculations in my head, where I would underestimate everything, and then convince myself that 5 chocolate bars, 2 packets of crisps/chips, several sanwiches, a full fat dinner, a couple of eggs, more chocolate and a pot of ice cream couldn't be more than 2000 - which is the daily limit right?! Its only when you really see how much you're putting in - you realise- I could walk solidly for a whole day (a full 24 hours!) and not get rid of what I've eaten in 3/4 days. I use nutrcheck (a uk site) and it also tells you how many portions of fruit and veg I should eat, and from someone who used to choke at the sight of an apple - I pleased to report that today, I ate 162% of my recommended daily portion of fruit and veg!

Ellen - I think if you can whip the head hunger - you really are there, and the weight will come off slowly but steadily.

My personal view is that we are rarely ever REALLY hungry. We might feel like eating, but that's very different to being hungry. I used to think I couldn't have my evening meal without something sweet after. With the band (and I think with 3 fills, I am now at my sweet spot) you have to eat slowly, so you learn to savour the food, and after a very short time, you realise..." I'm full!" In fact, yesterday I took my DH quite by surprise by bellowing exactly that at him whilst we were quietly eating dinner! :rolleyes2:

I also think that the sweet spot has to be in your mind as well as your band. You could probably have maximum restriction and keep shoving soft calories down your neck. Ice Cream, Milkshakes, anything mushy with high fat and sugar slips down FAR too easily! In fact, the band is bad in that sense, because I find that truly bad food, with little nutritional value goes down a treat, whereas the good stuff takes work - especally, for me, broccoli!

The other advantage of recording is that you realise - wow - I'm eating tons of food - I can't possily be hungry. I record everythign I plan to eat, and through the day, if I don't have it, I'll either move it down to later in the day, or delete it! I have to say, there's nothing like being a fat girl, looking at a record of what you've eaten, and thinking OMG - for once in my life I DIDN'T overdo it!! Seriously - it makes you high!:lol: Then if you lose weight - you kind of remember those moments, and not the ones where everyone except you was eating double chocolate fudge cake with chocolate sauce, cream and ice cream!:drool:

My main reason for having the op was because I wanted to be like a "normal" person. I don't want to be the fat one anymore. I want to shop normally, I want to wear things everyone else is wearing. I'm (fairly!)normal in most ways - good job, great family, my weight was the only thing not so great, and now I AM going to change that.

Thanks for reading my speech! Would love to know other people's reasons for opting for the band. People's personal stories are always so fascinating!

Mxx

Mia - OMG I think we are related you sound and think alot like me - In fact we could be related my GM was from England - Durrant - Sidney - Woolletts are my ansector from England :wink:

I got banded cuz I wanted the improve the quality of my life and hopefully extend the years I have left too.. The looks and size 6's & 4's are icing on the cake. I just feel so much better..

Before I was a total slug bug/couch potato - today is my cardio day - i really was trying to talk myself out of going - for the last couple of weeks I have only gotten 3 days of exercise in each week instead of my 4 (my weight has been stable - infact went down to 142) so figured ah you don't need to go..

Nope that's the kind of thinking that got me fat - so I went walked 4. mph on flat surface for 2 miles - walked 1 mile on incline from 8 to 14 speed 2.8 to 2.0 - total of 3 miles 58 minutes...

I feel so proud of myself for the changes I have made

I'm thinking with a normal woman's brain and not making excuses with that old fat girl brain any more:lol:

Hi tonight friends! Sounds like we are all moving forward this week:thumbup:. Yea that Daily Plate really tells you everything you are high or low in. Its great. I really like it. I called the nutrionist today and had a talk with her. She says I am doing everything just exactly the way I should. She told me that my Dr. is not a band lover and is very very conservative with fills. She also said that he is one of the best surgeons in the Country. He just isn't a fan of lap band. I am still loosing but I am working very hard. She told me to go for a week and do more hard Protein to see if that helps with hunger. So I will do that. I mean I do have to eat other things also but will add more Protein. She thinks I am doing great except she thinks my portions are too much. If I cut my portions down to 4 or 6 oz I really would be starving.If I get control of my hunger issues, I will really do well with this. Wheres our Janet tonight:blink:.Anyway, as they say PARTY ON :rolleyes2::tt1::drool:

Beckyo

Hi tonight friends! Sounds like we are all moving forward this week:thumbup:. Yea that Daily Plate really tells you everything you are high or low in. Its great. I really like it. I called the nutrionist today and had a talk with her. She says I am doing everything just exactly the way I should. She told me that my Dr. is not a band lover and is very very conservative with fills. She also said that he is one of the best surgeons in the Country. He just isn't a fan of lap band. I am still loosing but I am working very hard. She told me to go for a week and do more hard Protein to see if that helps with hunger. So I will do that. I mean I do have to eat other things also but will add more Protein. She thinks I am doing great except she thinks my portions are too much. If I cut my portions down to 4 or 6 oz I really would be starving.If I get control of my hunger issues, I will really do well with this. Wheres our Janet tonight:blink:.Anyway, as they say PARTY ON :rolleyes2::tt1::drool:

Beckyo

I'm here Becky - you and I must have been posting at the same time...

5 oz is a lot - but it's better that 2 cups of ice cream and 10 Cookies - you don't have good restriction yet and when you do - you won't be able to eat 5 oz of steak - tatoes and veggies...

Yes and as you will see by my post above yours - I agree - you need to eat more foods that have more substance to them - you eat alot of slider foods and that's why I think you are hungry so much..

Breakfast is about my only meal that can be consider slider - yogurt usually - weekend eggs (but some pple get stuck on them) - lunch is alway protein and veggie and now a little starch - dinner the same protein 1st - I ALWAYS EAT MY FISH/MEAT 1st - then veggies and if any room left my rice..

Well, it's 7:09 - gotta go cook - feed the dogs and change out of these sweaty workout clothes...

I will ck back in a few once I get dinner in the oven...

Greetings: I think I can clear up a misconception on this board. The band you have put in comes in different sizes(length) that are in centimeters (cm). I have a 10cm band that holds 4 cc of Fluid. My Dr. said the actual length of the band depends on how large your stomach is when he gets in the abdomin and has a chance to actually visualize your stomach. The longer the band is that they put in obviously will take more Fluid to fill it. I hope this information helps as there seems to be some confusion as to why some people get larger fills then others. I'll never have more than 4 cc's in my band.

Susan