Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Thanks to my band, my hard work, 23_11_60.gif Janet's great advice, and all the great support here I hit an elusive milestone today.

I hit 60 lbs gone!!!!:biggrin::thumbup::thumbs_up::smile::thumbup::laugh::shades_smile::teeth_smile::thumbs_up:[/quot

CONGRATULATIONS! I knew you could do it!

LONG2BTHIN that is AWESOME! I am so happy for you!

I hit a little milestone too...today I've lost over 10% of my start weight. I am floored and excited. 41.4 pounds down since 7/25. WOW

We ROCK!! LOL

I know mine will slow down. It will need too...but what a great start for me. AND what a great achievement for you!

I AM LOVING MY BAND!

And Nanalaura...you CALL that office and get what you need or threaten to change. How dare they do you that way? You are a paying customer and a patient! Advocate for yourself, my dear. They need a wake up call.

Whew, thank you for that advice. You are right. It is just that this is new turf for me. But I do need to be more informed. This is serious stuff and I need to go in to it with all the help I can get. And you are right, I have been having this feeling that maybe I should change, I need the answers. This is after all, my life. And after waiting this long I need to at the very least feel informed.

I really depend on this site. I am in a rural area and that concerns me too. So going in to Tucson for support meetings is difficult.

Thank you, ty!

Laura

HI Laura,

I agree with all those who say, "Keep Calling." My daughter is a doctor and she has two thoughts about this. 1)They SHOULD call back and you have every right to expect they should. 2)Surgeons' offices are often, not always, but often, notorious for having a bit less bedside manner with their patients, than other doctors'.

My thoughts:

1) I expect a response within 48 hours for questions asked before surgery and within 24 afterwards.

2) There are some doctors who have amazing reputations for doing this type of surgery; their bedside manners are horrible and some patients, like my son-in-law, was willing to sacrifice bedside manner for this particular doctor's great abilities.

3) I am not. I need both.

4) With my diabetes and with my lap band, I have learned more HERE and on the ADA Type 2 forums than anywhere else.

Laura, you have choices. Decide on what's important, on what you need and ask for it. You aren't having your tonsils out; you are changing your whole way of life and you want support. Some of it you will get here; some of it you will need from your doctor.

Good Luck and Stay Strong.

Love,

Ellen

Well Ellen,

When you call your doctors office do you get a person on the phone or do you have to always leave a message? What would your doctors office have you do if you needed to talk to someone right away with a serious question? I see that is is not that long since you have been banded. I don't question this man's bedside manner personally, I don't care about that but the office organization with patients is less than helpful to me at this point. I am concerned about being called for surgery and having many questions left to be answered. I felt I would have that chance with an appointment prior to surgery and I don't even know if that is going to happen. The lady that is the patient advocate seems more interested in getting insurance cleared and surgery scheduled than answering any questions. Questions get put off to another time.

I must stress that my concern is not that the dr. is good, or that his surgery is not excellent, my concern is with communication entirely.

Sadly because we have moved this past year, I am stuck with this being my third doctor/required lecture. The first lecture in Scottsdale did not leave me with a good feeling. The second lecture for the lapband in Mesa I felt comfort with. This last one with the new move answered many questions but also left me with more questions. With the move I felt good to have the surgery with a local doctor, that was important to me. But if I am not going to have that warm fuzzy feeling about all this with the communication I will have to go to yet another lecture and I just really do not want to have to do that if that makes sense. I have tried so hard to get this surgery completed. But I do want to be as safe as possible and have a doctor that I can depend on once I am post op.

Geez, I just want the surgery and a good doctor that will have a staff that communicates. I just don't think that is too much to ask. We ALL need to feel this comfort.

I will be calling and leaving a message on Monday.

Thanks for the help,

Laura who just wants to feel good enough to play with the grandkids!

CONGRATULATIONS, LORI!!!!!! You have to be so happy. I am jumping for joy for you!!! :teeth_smile:(which should take another pound off me, since jumping IS exercise!)

I'm having my first fill on Wednesday and am scared to death! Any advice. I've kind of gotten used to eating the way I'm eating. I feel like I did before surgery. I don't know what's in store for me and I'm petrified of the change that's about to take place!!!! :shades_smile:

I did learn something last night. I'm having a 60th birthday party for my brother this weekend. Last night 17 family members came for a special family dinner and I "tasted" some of the foods, even a few carbs. Well, I lost a pound today. What does that say? Not, eat more, but exercise like crazy, because I've been doing a lot of running, moving and hard work for this party tonight, more exercise than I've had in a long time. If I "move," I might even be able to eat!

I love you all.

Ellen

Thanks Ellen. Congrats on your loss as well. I was really nervous for my first fill too, I was worried they wouldn't find the port, that they'd over fill me, etc. but it really was a piece of cake. It was a weird sensation at first she pulled out the Fluid that was in there to be sure it was all there and not leaking and then put it back with the new fill. Be sure you find out your dr.'s post fill requirements. They seem to vary as much as pre op and post op diets. I only have to do liquids for 4 hours, then mushies the rest of the day. Others have days of liquids and mushies. Keep up that exercise!!

:thumbs_up: I read this thread a lot and appreciate the advice that is given here. I posted before and got no response in another thread.

I am slated for my surgery on the 16th with Dr. Burpee in Tucson, I understand that he is one of the best and I look forward to getting on the road to good health.

Here are my frustrations... I have completed all of my appointments but I seem to only get a phone call when they are ready to schedule and then no update so that I know what is going on. I worry that we have not discussed the type of band that I will get nor have we discussed the pre-surgery diet that Dr. Burpee may require. I try to make some phone calls to the office and have even emailed twice, called twice, I don't want to be a pest. I want to feel good about this surgery in spite of being afraid. But dang, shouldn't there be better communication? I worry about reaching someone in the office if I have a problem post surgery, phone calls always go to voice mail.

Am I being silly about all this or are my concerns real?

Please help?

Laura

Laura, I think you deserve a call back. How far out are you from surgery? is it in the near future or are they thinking they have plenty of time to answer your questions? not that it matters much but maybe as you get closer you'll get more info?? I'd definitely discuss my concerns with the surgeon.

LONG2BTHIN that is AWESOME! I am so happy for you!

I hit a little milestone too...today I've lost over 10% of my start weight. I am floored and excited. 41.4 pounds down since 7/25. WOW

We ROCK!! LOL

I know mine will slow down. It will need too...but what a great start for me. AND what a great achievement for you!

I AM LOVING MY BAND!

And Nanalaura...you CALL that office and get what you need or threaten to change. How dare they do you that way? You are a paying customer and a patient! Advocate for yourself, my dear. They need a wake up call.

Congrats, Monkey!!! We rock indeed!!

They talked about surgery on the 16th of this month! That is ten days and even if Dr. does not require a liquid diet, I feel that I need to do that. I would like to have time to do it too. We are talking only 10 days away and it is decision time. I got the call last week and I am not even thinking of bailing but I want to be informed, that is for sure. I will switch dr.'s rather than to go into this blind so to speak. When I saw the Dr. for the first and only time he knew I was trying to make a decision between bypass and band. I have read enough to know I want the band but I still have questions.

Well enough of me! I plan to call them on Monday and get some details.

Many congrats to all of you here that are doing so well and thanks so much for the responses, it has really given me strength and the courage to follow my heart.

Laura

Edited by NanaLaura

hi, I had my surgery july 2007 i am only down 45 lbs . it doesnt seem how much I eat I still dont lose. i have had several fills still lots of food catches so i have to go throw up . What is the ecret ? What do you eat on a daily basis ? so that you have lost . Please help me

Laura,

That is close, you definitely need some answers. However, 10 days before my surgery, I didn't even know I was going to have surgery. Not sure if that helps you or not. I had needed one more test before they'd schedule and I got those results on a Friday. Of course, I called the office on Friday and they were closed for the weekend, so didnt' talk to anyone til Monday and still had to leave a message. She didn't call back til Tues. I had surgery that Thurs. and a pre op appt with the surgeon the very next day. I only had to do 24 hours of a liquid diet pre op but they are all different. It was my option to say no I didn't want it that soon but I did, they'd have waited til the next week or when I wanted. As far as which band, there was an excellent article in the last Obesity help magazine (they have a website too www.obesityhelp.com and not sure if it's on there or not). From the article I'm partial to the Lap Band vs the REalize but then again, that's what I have so I may be prejudiced to that one. The thing I liked is that the cushion that is filled with the saline on the lap band had little pillows vs Realize had a continuous chamber which 'suggests'' (according the article not proven yet) that will minimize the potential for leaks due to unwanted creases or folds. However, the Realize band is softer and they have great web support, though LapBand is supposedly hurridly developing theirs to compete. I really think it comes down to personal preference or maybe even your surgeon's preference and what fits you best. They are both good. My dr. does both bands and he chose mine.

Deb, are you too tight? Are you eating lots of slider foods? Are your meals 80% dense Protein? What I eat:

breakfast - generally egg beaters and one slice of precooked bacon (a smidge of cheese on the eggs)

lunch - some type of hard protein, piece of meat generally chicken, sometimes some veggies

afternoon snack - varies, sometimes a few nuts, sometimes a popsicle, or a yogurt

dinner - a hard protein and a veggie

evening snack - same as above and sometimes a small piece of leftover meat from dinner

I eat about a half cup per meal or snack. Do not drink til 30 min after. Hope that helps.

:shades_smile: I read this thread a lot and appreciate the advice that is given here. I posted before and got no response in another thread.

I am slated for my surgery on the 16th with Dr. Burpee in Tucson, I understand that he is one of the best and I look forward to getting on the road to good health.

Here are my frustrations... I have completed all of my appointments but I seem to only get a phone call when they are ready to schedule and then no update so that I know what is going on. I worry that we have not discussed the type of band that I will get nor have we discussed the pre-surgery diet that Dr. Burpee may require. I try to make some phone calls to the office and have even emailed twice, called twice, I don't want to be a pest. I want to feel good about this surgery in spite of being afraid. But dang, shouldn't there be better communication? I worry about reaching someone in the office if I have a problem post surgery, phone calls always go to voice mail.

Am I being silly about all this or are my concerns real?

Please help?

Laura

Laura - I don't know how to help in this but my experience was I had my consultation on 5/31 - this is where the discussion was on if I was a candiate and if the band was a good choice form me - I had tons of pre op test - My doc office called all the doctors that I had to see and had them call me to set up appointment - Once I had my shrink appt and they sent to insurance got called on 6/21 with date (still had testing to do but had a date) at that time we set up pre-op visit an at that visit 7/6 is where they gave me the food for my preop diet (only 1 week for me) I never asked what kind of band he was using - they don't know what size to use until they look inside you. - When surgery was done the doc told my son that I had the new cadillac band (a new ap band came out in 7/07)

Do you have approval/date yet?? Once they get approval from insurance is when they will call you..

As to them not calling you back - yes I would be a tad concern about that - are they close enought for you to just show up on their door step

and when you see the doc I would voice these concerns to him..

I guess I am a lucky one - I have my doc's cell phone #..

All doc's are diff but I sure would tell him - not the staff about your concerns he may not know whats going on..

Hi everyone tonight (Saturday). I haven't been able to post again since I have had computer problems so I hope it is straightened out now cause I missed everyone. I have been reading though. I had to have my computer reset just to be able to post here. Anyway sounds like everyone is doing okay and going along pretty well. I am still eating the usual way and I am still walking 2.4 miles every day or at least every other day. Now it is starting to get a little easier. In a week I go back to Dr and dont know if I get a fill or not. I have now lost 35 lbs. I am loosing pretty steadily. Yesterday I came home from errands, warmed up a hamburger, put it on light wheat bread (which I don't eat that much) took two bites and my first real stuck:scared2:. It hurt like $#*@&!^. I felt like I couldn't breathe and I got all sweaty. I jumped up and walked around. Then I took a sip of Water which I read I should not do. Man, I thought I was going to have to go to hospital. It scared me:thumbdown:. Last night I went out to dinner and had eggplant which was delicious. Anyway, doing okay so far.

Talk with you all later

Beckyo:crying:

hi, I had my surgery july 2007 i am only down 45 lbs . it doesnt seem how much I eat I still dont lose. i have had several fills still lots of food catches so i have to go throw up . What is the ecret ? What do you eat on a daily basis ? so that you have lost . Please help me

Deb - sorry for your struggles but there is no secret really - it take will and determination to change your life - it's work - but the lapband makes a hard job just a little easier

This has never been a diet for me this is a lifetime lifestyle change in my eating and exercising.

In my weight lost months - I kept my calories between 800-1200 and I varied them - I exercised 4-5 days a week - the 1st 8 months just the treadmill - but in March I got a personal trainer and I now work weights twice a week and carido twice a week - I am in the gym 4 days out of 7 most of the time.. I kept a food diary and counted calories and Protein grams and had limited carbs -

The band is only a tool to help with your Portion Control it doesn't make your food choices or it doesn't do the exercise. Losing weight is all about calories in vs calories burn - plan and simple as that.

I am 1 yr 2 months out and I am still learning how to control my head hunger issues ... I can be physically full from my dinner and still want to eat

Our head hunger issues are our real problems - As fat chicks the minute we thought we were hungry we would eat - then eat again - we would eat past full - All of us have diff issues with food some more complicated and some as simple as boredom. We use food to soothe us when we are upset, angry or sad - we use food to comfort us - we use food to Celebrate and as reward for something or cuz someone told us we shouldn't - we use our fat as a barrier against the world. All these things are the mental issue that must be dealt with if we want to lose the weight and keep it off for good

Diets don't work cuz the minute you go off them and go back to eating normal you gain all your weight back - eating normal for us is what got us fat in the 1st place.

I just want you to know that even with the band it's work - it's still hard -- it takes will power to make good food choices and discipline to go to the gym or workout where ever you choose

You gotta follow the band rules - Protein 1st - veggie 2nd and if any room starches/carbs. Tiny bites - chew and eat slowly.

Attached is a menu - I hope it helps... Track your calories & protein (60 grms a day) for a week - get in 30 minutes of exercise at least 4 days a week and I bet you if you do that at the end of the week you will see a loss on your scales.

You can do this !!! When you need a distraction - come here - post - we are here for you...

Hugs - Janet

Hi everyone tonight (Saturday). I haven't been able to post again since I have had computer problems so I hope it is straightened out now cause I missed everyone. I have been reading though. I had to have my computer reset just to be able to post here. Anyway sounds like everyone is doing okay and going along pretty well. I am still eating the usual way and I am still walking 2.4 miles every day or at least every other day. Now it is starting to get a little easier. In a week I go back to Dr and dont know if I get a fill or not. I have now lost 35 lbs. I am loosing pretty steadily. Yesterday I came home from errands, warmed up a hamburger, put it on light wheat bread (which I don't eat that much) took two bites and my first real stuck:scared2:. It hurt like $#*@&!^. I felt like I couldn't breathe and I got all sweaty. I jumped up and walked around. Then I took a sip of Water which I read I should not do. Man, I thought I was going to have to go to hospital. It scared me:thumbdown:. Last night I went out to dinner and had eggplant which was delicious. Anyway, doing okay so far.

Talk with you all later

Beckyo:crying:

Becky CONGRATS ON YOUR 35 LBS... :thumbup:

Yep we think if we drink it will wash it thru - BIG mistake - I did it too but no more. Some pple chew papaya tablets when they get meat stuck - you can get them at Walmart. I don't use them but a lot of pple do.

If I get stuck - it either goes down in about 10 mintues or it comes back up. I find that getting up and walking around helps - some one says to put your arms over your head...

Glad you are doing well and that the execise is getting easier - it will

I know 6 months ago when I got my trainer he put me on the treadmill with incline of 3 or 4 speed 2.5 and told me not to hold on - he didn't care how fast my speed was - but to walk on incline and not to hang on.. Ltt me tell you it was hard... I could barely do this and I had been on the treadmill for 8 months

Today I did incline of 12 - speed 2.5 without holding on... Great NSV..

thats great Janet, I hope I can get to that point eventually. Right now the exercise really makes me tired alot. I keep going. Some days its hard but I feel better already.

Beckyo

thats great Janet, I hope I can get to that point eventually. Right now the exercise really makes me tired alot. I keep going. Some days its hard but I feel better already.

Beckyo

Becky

I was just like you in the beginng - it wore my butt out - but I promise you each week - each month it does get better/easier !!!