Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi IndioGirl55,

I am being banded in 2 days. Everything from the time I started to looking into being banded has falling into place. I know that it has to been God's hand. It seems that everytime I started to have doubts he would put someone in my path that day that would encouraging. I suffer from leg pain and I read in one of your post that your felt 10 years younger. I am 49 and really don't care about being a size 10, I just want to be able to walk painfree. Do you know people that have had the lap band that have had issues like mine?

Hope your day gets better Ellen. The head hunger is a _itch. For me it's more grazing. So I have gotten rid of things in the kitchen to graze on. That's helping some. Can you have something delivered for dinner that your parents like? Or make them something special for their anniversary?

I had to go back to the dr's today. Seems my gall bladder incisions have developed a rash. He looked at it and doesn't think it's infected, I am to put some cream on the rash and go back in a week. The cream is helping with the itch thank goodness.

This afternoon I went through my closet and tried on lots of clothes. I went through all my pants. In the past almost every pair were too small. I blew right past some of them and they are now in my too big bag. I have lots that fit and a few too small still. Ellen, I am wearing lots of things I wore when you last saw me, some even too big!! Tomorrow I will go through the tops. Many were sweaters and I don't have the a/c on today and it's pushing 90 so didn't feel like trying those on.

Lori, I thought of the exact same thing. I just wore a black suit, (sadly to a funeral) that I haven't worn since I sore you last!!!!! Congratulations. Hope the rash gets better soon.

Love,

Ellen

Hi IndioGirl55,

I am being banded in 2 days. Everything from the time I started to looking into being banded has falling into place. I know that it has to been God's hand. It seems that everytime I started to have doubts he would put someone in my path that day that would encouraging. I suffer from leg pain and I read in one of your post that your felt 10 years younger. I am 49 and really don't care about being a size 10, I just want to be able to walk painfree. Do you know people that have had the lap band that have had issues like mine?

Dear Harmonygirl,

Me! About 8 months ago, I took my grandson to Fo Fo Figley's. It's a huge indoor warehouse of activities for kids of all ages. There's a fire engine to climb on, slides to go down, blocks to build with, basketball courts of all sizes and a huge 3 story climbing structure in the middle. Well, grandson said he wanted to go down the BIG slide and I thought for a moment (not long enough), "Well, I can climb up there with him!!" Yes, I could climb UP, but I forgot about going DOWN! As I was sliding down with him, I realized that this was NOT going to end well. And sure enough, I landed hard, pushing the bottom of my foot in such a way that it impacted my knee and I tore the meniscus. (This on top of already having arthritis!)

To say the least, "I was in agony." For months I walked on crutches and the doctor wanted to do surgery. All I could think of was, "Who's going to take care of my parents and grandson?" Of course, I came last in my mind. To make a long story short, the doctor also let it slip that if I lost weight, I might not need the surgery and I might not be in pain.

Guess what? Guess who's walking without crutches and without pain!!? This doesn't mean the arthritis is totally gone or that the meniscus is healed, but it does mean that the inevitable has been put off for some time to come.

Your aren't alone in your journey and my orthopedist will tell you that losing weight is the best thing you can do to alleviate your pain.

Good Luck.

Ellen

Dear Janet,

Thank you for spending so much time on your messages. Yes, I do need a fill and yes, I need to take everything you wrote and read and re-read it, because there is so much to think about. This journey is one like I've never been on. Yes, I've dieted before, but never like this. The band is not only a tool to lose weight, but an instrument to help in my personal growth. When I want to eat, I HAVE to think about what that really means. Maybe 62 isn't too old to grow up!

Janet, you are so wise and I know that we all keep saying thanks to you and I hope you know how sincere those words are. Tonight I'm going to say a prayer of thanks for finding you and the wonderful people on this board, people who understand, who aren't judgemental, who want to succeed... It's amazing!

Thank you and God Bless.

Love,

Ellen

Getthin: Boy, do I understand!

Hi IndioGirl55,

Harmonygirl

Welcome ...

The size of my clothes is icing on the cake - the way I feel (which is 10 yrs young) is the reason I got banded - I did it for my health...

My feet and back use to hurt all the time - I had no energy - now I am up early every morning - I am almost the energizer bunny - well that would be a tad of an story - but have 10 folds more energy.

They say something like for every pound you lose you take a considerable amount of pressure off your knees - I can't quote the exact amount.

What is the cause of your leg pain - do you have bad knees - hips arthritis??

Harmony - I can tell you that you will be improving the quality of your life when you get your weight off - I can't promise all your aches and pains will be gone cuz we have done damage to our bodies from being overweight but I can tell you that most likely your symptoms will improve dramatically.

I can tell you that this is the best thing that I have ever done for me. I would do it over again in a heart beat.. My band is the tool I needed - it's my interior motivator.

I have gone from a total slug bug to a women who is at the gym 4 days a week and sometimes more often (like this week I will go as I am on vacation and can go in the morning and energize my day)

I have gone from a women who ate high fat - high sugar - high carbs to a women who eats healthy 98% of the time who allows for treats 2% of the time and who is enjoying life..

LBT is a great place for info and support - read all you can - and understand that everyones journey is a little diff - but for me it has been a blessing - it's given me back my life..

Hugs

Janet

Dear Janet,

Thank you for spending so much time on your messages. Yes, I do need a fill and yes, I need to take everything you wrote and read and re-read it, because there is so much to think about. This journey is one like I've never been on. Yes, I've dieted before, but never like this. The band is not only a tool to lose weight, but an instrument to help in my personal growth. When I want to eat, I HAVE to think about what that really means. Maybe 62 isn't too old to grow up!

Janet, you are so wise and I know that we all keep saying thanks to you and I hope you know how sincere those words are. Tonight I'm going to say a prayer of thanks for finding you and the wonderful people on this board, people who understand, who aren't judgemental, who want to succeed... It's amazing!

Thank you and God Bless.

Love,

Ellen

Getthin: Boy, do I understand!

Ellen

Thank you...:w00t: I am just as blessed to have you all in my life too.:biggrin2:

Nope 62 isn't to old - it's the new 40 (I guess since the 50's is the new 30's) plus my bff is 62 so I know it's not old... We aren't our parents - they were old at our age - we are still young and willing to learn new things each day..

The personal growth is what I have loved the most during this journey - I have changed so many bad habits (still have some:sneaky:) The one thing I am really proud about is my exercise and my awarness of what goes in my mouth and why..

Again thanks for the praise.. Yes we understand - we have walked down the same path you are walking.. You will succeed... Don't ever doubt that..

Hugs & Love

Janet

Talk about breaking old habits. I am really breaking old habits since the band. I don't crave junk food so far. I just don't think I am getting in enough calories on most days. But, if you arent hungry then what? I eat till comfy like I was told to do and the rest of the time, I decide whether it is head hunger, boredom or real hunger and go from there. I know that if I wait too long to eat and get to the starving mode, then I don't do well or feel well. The walking does make me tired but with the way I am eating and exercising I would think the weight would be falling off of me alot. It is falling off pretty well and I am very happy with my achievements so far but it is a strange thing to figure out, this band. glad to hear everyone is doing well tonight,

Beckyo:thumbup:

Hi IndioGirl55,

Harmonygirl-

Good Luck with your banding!

I want to tell you that I had severe arthritis in my knees and could hardly walk. All you heard were crackling sounds everytime I bent my legs. Every Dr I saw told me to lose weight. And there were many. There was nothing they could do. I was on heavy pain meds. One Dr told me that every 1 lb of weight is like 4 lbs of pressure on your knees.

Well, I was banded on 7/7/08 and even the amount of weight that I have lost thus far is making a huge difference in my life! I am almost pain free! I don't need the meds anymore and I am walking on the treadmill!

Good things are in the future!;)

This forum is a wonderful place to be.

Talk about breaking old habits. I am really breaking old habits since the band. I don't crave junk food so far. I just don't think I am getting in enough calories on most days. But, if you arent hungry then what? I eat till comfy like I was told to do and the rest of the time, I decide whether it is head hunger, boredom or real hunger and go from there. I know that if I wait too long to eat and get to the starving mode, then I don't do well or feel well. The walking does make me tired but with the way I am eating and exercising I would think the weight would be falling off of me alot. It is falling off pretty well and I am very happy with my achievements so far but it is a strange thing to figure out, this band. glad to hear everyone is doing well tonight,

Beckyo:thumbup:

Becky - I am glad you are doing so well - Yes this is a new learning experience and each day we learn something new... Good Going...;)

Harmonygirl-

Good Luck with your banding!

I want to tell you that I had severe arthritis in my knees and could hardly walk. All you heard were crackling sounds everytime I bent my legs. Every Dr I saw told me to lose weight. And there were many. There was nothing they could do. I was on heavy pain meds. One Dr told me that every 1 lb of weight is like 4 lbs of pressure on your knees.

Well, I was banded on 7/7/08 and even the amount of weight that I have lost thus far is making a huge difference in my life! I am almost pain free! I don't need the meds anymore and I am walking on the treadmill!

Good things are in the future!:thumbup:

This forum is a wonderful place to be.

Thanks Barb - I thought it was 4 lbs of pressure but wasn't sure and didn't want to give miss information. Congrats on your weight loss and getting off your paid meds - thats wonderful !!!

I am so encouraged reading about knee pain getting better. I have a really bad left knee it is bone on bone arthritis. I've tried some injections and got little relief. It's my only disappointment so far with the surgery, i guess I was looking for a miracle. Bone on bone may not get better, but the pain is still pretty intense, I limp a lot. However, when I stop to think that before surgery I was taking up to 10 ibuprofen a day and now I take none that is an improvement, though some days I'd like to. So I am going to hold on to hope for more improvement. It's what keeps me from exercise. I do a stationary bike and do walk some but when I do too much it hurts worse. There's no Water aerobics around so that's not an option at the present. I bought a bike thinking that would be good. It doesn't hurt much while riding, but afterwards it sure does. Sometimes I feel like such a baby but I am doing more and more and just read about strengthening the quads and that helps the knees so am going to check out the leg machine at the gym when I can do weights again.

I am so encouraged reading about knee pain getting better. I have a really bad left knee it is bone on bone arthritis. I've tried some injections and got little relief. It's my only disappointment so far with the surgery, i guess I was looking for a miracle. Bone on bone may not get better, but the pain is still pretty intense, I limp a lot. However, when I stop to think that before surgery I was taking up to 10 ibuprofen a day and now I take none that is an improvement, though some days I'd like to. So I am going to hold on to hope for more improvement. It's what keeps me from exercise. I do a stationary bike and do walk some but when I do too much it hurts worse. There's no Water aerobics around so that's not an option at the present. I bought a bike thinking that would be good. It doesn't hurt much while riding, but afterwards it sure does. Sometimes I feel like such a baby but I am doing more and more and just read about strengthening the quads and that helps the knees so am going to check out the leg machine at the gym when I can do weights again.

Lori - so sorry about the knee - I know that has to be hard - losing the weight will help but you may need a replacment - you know Phy she alread has had knee replacement and will need another one once she get's her weight off. The one she has loosend up since losing weight and will have to be replaced - you can talk to her about the specific - Hugs... Wish I could do more...

Good Morning Ladies !!!

Hope everyone had a good evening ...

Well not much to report since last night - have hair appt this a.m. (the gray is awful) then I guess school clothes shopping..

Need to vacuum and clean my room and finish washing - but not really feeling in the mood as of right now - still drinking coffee :biggrin2:

food yesterday

Fish 200 (20 grms pt)- Watermelon 200 - Rib 150 (18 grms pt) Rice & Okra 175 popcorn 100 - SF fudgecicle with banana & almonds in a cone 200 - banana 100 - pt bar 200 (20 grms pt)

Exercise - 4 miles treadmill...

Well, just cking in - CBL:tongue:

Hi Lori,

I can identify with your knee issues. I had the left knee replaced 5 years ago and overall it was very successful. The problem I had was exercise - I was already heavy, and aerobic exercise was not possible for many months. I was religious about the physical therapy and I believe that's why the surgery was so successful. Unfortunately, inactivity brought on about 40 pounds over those months. I lost that weight with a liquid diet 2 years ago, only to have the right knee get to the point where it is very painful, and needs replacement. I feel like a type rewinding...have gained the 40 back. Ortho says replacement is the only long term solution and is currently treating with injections which have helped. I am determined to lose 75% of the weight I need to lose before the replacement surgery. My exercise of choice is the elliptical trainer, which causes less pain, recumbant bicycle, and Water exercises - all recommended by my ortho - also weight training for overall muscle building. It is not easy, cause most days it hurts... However, as you are finding, as the weight decreases it becomes easier to exercise. I'm counting on that! I probably will have a second injection treatment this fall - doc said every 6 months or so would be okay if it is helping. It took about 6-8 weeks for the first series to help, but it is working. I wonder if it will work for ankles??? They have been an issue, too. Doc says my lower back pain will be alleviated by losing this tummy. Let's face it - losing the weight is the answer for so many problems. I am so anxious to join all of you in this journey! Hoping for an October date...

I know I probably do have knee replacement in my future. I guess I am just hoping to avoid it at this point. Two surgeries already this year are enough. Plus I want to lose the weight and see how bad it is then. I had the injection series in June and that seemed to help a tad. I have another series that I will do this fall (have to wait 6 mos as well). I have an elliptical trainer at home that I do use or the recumbant bike at the gym. Also am going to work on some leg machines for the quads as that is supposed to help some as well. It just makes me so mad at myself that I let my weight get to the point that it's messed up my body. Who knows I may still have had the arthritis, my mom has it a lot but then again she's as overweight as me (or as I was). Also have a funky ankle and a couple fingers that it's starting to affect. They tested me for the bad arthritis, rhuematoid, but that was negative. PTL!!! One dr. also told me that I was on the young side for replacement that they don't like to do them so young (first time I heard 50 as young LOL) but I've since heard that's not the case anymore.

I also tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis and am thankful for that. Lori, you are doing the right things for better health and it will come. As you lose weight your knees and ankles will be less painful and exercise will be easier for you. I think you are right to postpone the replacement until you are close to goal. By then you will have established such good habits the physical therapy will be much easier, you will be exercising sooner after the surgery, and you will continue to lose the rest of the weight you want to lose. AND THEN - you will have new left knee, improved prospects for right knee and ankles, a cute tush and a whole new attitude (attitude already in place!) haha!

you go, girl!