Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused-Cardio or Strength or both?

I need some advice. I am almost three years out and about a year ago I hit a plateau and I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds over again. I have a sneaking suspision that it is because my exercise routine has slacked. I used to go to Curves 3xs a week and was doing fine until I quit going because they closed two of the ones that I regularly went to and there wasn't any close ones near me anymore. I bought a bowflex and I have been struggling ever since to develop a routine that I can stick with. I am confused on if I should concentrate more on cardio or strength, for how long, how many days and all that stuff because I hear different things from different people. I only have about 15 more pounds to go, but like I said I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, and I feel if I worked out more regular I know it would probably come off. Does the 20 min workout on the bowflex 3 days a week actually work? I think part of myprobem is that I am also getting bored and I just am not motivated anymore. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:sad:

Guest Leslie2Lose

I think you should do both. The cardio boosts your heart level and helps burn calories. The strength will help get/keep you toned. You want to sustain your muscle as you continue to lose weight.

Change things up a bit if you are getting bored. Hot weather is coming, are you able to swim? That is great exercise. Your body has probably gotten used to your routine. Try to do something you enjoy, that way it won't be so much of a task, you'll look forward to it.

Thanks for the advice. Should I do the cardio and strength all in one day or would it benefit me to do strength 3 days a week and maybe cardio 2? I don't have much time in the evenings and I find if I do both I get more bored, but I also don't want to seperate the two if it isn't going to help.

Should I do the cardio and strength all in one day or would it benefit me to do strength 3 days a week and maybe cardio 2? I don't have much time in the evenings and I find if I do both I get more bored, but I also don't want to seperate the two if it isn't going to help.

Hi Wisegrl! You are probably going to hear many different opinions on this. I can tell you what I was advised to do. I was told to do strength training every other day, to give my muscles time to rest. I usually do cardio everyday (on a good week) and strength training 3-4 times a week. I think both are equally important.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Don't do strength everyday - you need to break up your training. From what trainers I've had in the past have told me, you need to give your muscles a day to rest and recoop. I walk every day and will probably strength train M-W-F once I am able to use weights again. I can do lower body now, but will be having a port revision next Friday and will have to rest for a while. Do something you think you can stick to. If that is strength 3x a week and cardio 2x. I use my MP3 Player if I am at the gym - it takes away the monatony of just walking/moving in place and makes the time fly by quicker.

Here is my thing, if you are having problems getting motivated - take a class at the gymn. That will force you to obey the trainer for an hour, meet other people and get you going again. In terms of strength versus cardio - you need both.... choose the one you feel like doing that day. Trick is burning calories.

Building muscle helps you burn more calories even when you are sitting around.

Changing the routine is necessary because the body gets too used to what we are doing.

If you can afford a trainer, it's an excellent idea. I love my trainer and I look forward to working out with him.

I think joining a gym is a good idea too. I would never exercise even if I had the equipment in my house. I need to leave the house and go to the gym for some reason. And I do love the classes.

Ok,

I was thinking of using my Bowflex for 30 min on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and on Tuesday and Thursday doing my treadmill for about 30-40 minutes. Any opinions on this? Should I do my cardio also with the strength? Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I see that everyone is different.

Edited by Wisegrl

Guest Leslie2Lose

Where is your treadmill? Can you see a television from the location? Music? It always helps me to look or listen to something while I am walking - I don't get so bored.

Also - you may want to look into a fun DVD/VHS to exercise to. Many people use walking tapes, pilates, yoga, kickboxing, etc. I have a pilates DVD I'm going to start back when I am capable. I enjoy that a lot. You may want to try to start a video for cardio since you are doing everything from home instead of the gym.

Both my bowflex and my treadmill are by a TV and my computer which has I-Tunes so I don't have a problem there. Actually working out to videos is a good idea to change things up a bit. I just need to decide how many days a week I want to exercise and stick with it. I love this site because there are so many helpful people here. Thanks!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Do you have any kids/teengers/husband (another kid) that likes video games? My DH and girls both love the Playstation. We have a Playstation2 & Playstation3. We have DDR - Dance, Dance, Revolution for the PS2 and I love doing that too. I went to do it the other day and realised the old PS2 is now in DD's room and I don't have enough room to play. We bought the cheaper PS3 and the old games aren't compatible. I need to find another DDR for the new one. It is so much fun...time flies and it has a WL mode that will keep a log for you - the time and calories you've burned. I think they have DDR for X-Box and some of the other game stations too...

I have two daughters, one is 12 and the other is 9. I saw something on TV the other day with the new Wi. It was some kind of pad and video that you can exercise with. I may look into that. That way the whole family can enjoy it.

I do my strength training in addition to the days I do my cardio. On the days I do weights, I do them first and cardio after. This is how my trainer told me it's supposed to be done. Some days I do cardio only.

I do my strength training in addition to the days I do my cardio. On the days I do weights, I do them first and cardio after. This is how my trainer told me it's supposed to be done. Some days I do cardio only.

I'm glad someone else does this. I always do weights first and then cardio. I can't remember where I heard this though. When I'm at the gym, most of the people (well, mostly women) working out, do cardio first then weights. I always wondered if I was wrong but I'm glad to know someone else heard it too.

Guest Leslie2Lose

At the gym, I warm up, then do my weights, then cardio. I think the cardio afterwards helps loosen the muscles up from the weights. I'm not as sore if I do cardio afterwards.