Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused-Cardio or Strength or both?

At the gym, I warm up, then do my weights, then cardio. I think the cardio afterwards helps loosen the muscles up from the weights. I'm not as sore if I do cardio afterwards.

i do the same thing - quick warm up (10min) on treadmill or bike; then do my weight training (w/trainer - twice a wk) - finnishing off w/cardio. lately i've been doing cardio only days which includes: stair master/ elliptical/ 2mile run.

I'm glad someone else does this. I always do weights first and then cardio. I can't remember where I heard this though. When I'm at the gym, most of the people (well, mostly women) working out, do cardio first then weights. I always wondered if I was wrong but I'm glad to know someone else heard it too.

My trainer is fabulous. He has been a personal trainer for over 20 years and has all sorts of degrees and certifications. He has told me over and over again people can't do their weight training in proper form if they do their cardio first. You are supposed to warm up on a treadmill or something first, but I am bad about that. I am always on a time limit and I would rather do my weight training slowly and carefully and see how much time is left over afterwards for cardio. There are days when I get plenty of cardio when I don't use the weights.

What exactly are y'all doing for the weight training? We joined the gym about 2 weeks ago and have been everyday except 3 (we were out of town) We are walking 30 mins on the tread mill and 1 or 2 mile bike ride. I am having some pain in my hip and the elliptical kills it! I was told not to worry with weights until I've lost the weight bc the muscle will just push the fat out (like making it more visiable I guess) But I have certain areas I feel I need to work on... upper arms, upper back, etc...

So what are you doing for weight training?

Thanks! :(

I use the weight machines at the gym. I have gained so much muscle in my thighs that when I try to pinch them, I can't pinch any fat. It's the first time in my life my thighs don't stick out farther than my hips.

I also do squats, lunges, and what they call bench dips for my arms.

When I work with my trainer, he has me do all sorts of things different from what I do. If you get the book "body for life" it shows all the exercises we need to do.I got it out of the library when I first started working out.

There is a class at my gym with weights that I just love. At this gym they call it "Group Power" In Arizona at that gym, the called it

"Body Pump" They are almost the identical class.