Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm curious...

I'm 5 weeks post-op and haven't had my first fill - I'm scheduled June 12th. I notice that I have zero or very little restriction - I mean I can chug Water and eat pretty much whatever I want (but I do chew the hell out of it before swallowing). Will this go away once I'm filled? I ask bc if I didn't have the incisions on my belly as proof - I wouldn't even know I had the surgery and this is a little bit upsetting - the whole purpose is to have restriction. Will this happen after I'm filled?

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a few threads about the holy grail restriction.

If you had no Fluid put in your band when you had surgery, and many don't, then you won't have any restriction until you start getting fills. It's too bad your doctor didn't explain this to you.

Eat sensibly and you will be restricted when you get fill(s).

Cheers.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a few threads about the holy grail restriction.

If you had no Fluid put in your band when you had surgery, and many don't, then you won't have any restriction until you start getting fills. It's too bad your doctor didn't explain this to you.

Eat sensibly and you will be restricted when you get fill(s).

Cheers.

I had very little Fluid put in my band the day of surgery and my doctor did explain this to me - I guess I thought since I was restricted after surgery and I now realize this was from swelling, too - that I would still be somewhat in the sipping stage.

As for eating sensibly - I do - I just have everything in little quantities and have steadly been loosing - but I do have to remind myself when to say when and I'm just more comfortable with my body determining that for me so to speak.

I am so happy I am not the only person who can eat like this. I ate about 6 ounces of cheese today no problem. It is not good. I am hoping once I get the restriction things will be better. I lost 30 lbs so far and see me creeping back up with this kind of eating.

I'm two weeks post-op, and I have the same issue. I can eat like I never had the surgery, and I try to be mindful, but it is getting harder and harder each day. I have my first fill 6/6/08, and I'm hoping that it helps a lot. I know it takes a few fills, usually, to get it right, but I feel anxious to get this weight off!!!! I've lost 14 lbs the first week being on shakes, but have gained back 4 of it during this second week of soft food. Ugghh. Just know you are not alone in your struggle. I made a post a few days ago entitled "11 Days Post-Op and HUNGRY". You'll find it under the "Post-op forums". Keep in touch fellow "May Flower". Best wishes!

I know it doesn't feel like you have restriction, and literally you can eat, but by the nature of the band and it being sown onto your stomach there is some restriction, you are not as open as you used to be.

I'm not advocating that you test my theory by eating like you used to, not chewing well and stuffing down normal quantities (or more).

I'm not denying you can EAT, but there's a belt around your stomach that won't allow it to stretch like it used to before surgery.

the weeks between not being swollen from surgery and finally getting your first fill are called bander hell (according to all the post i read about it)...i was banded 5/7 and not due for a fill till 6/17 so i am right in the middle of it with you..over the weekend i made myself go out and buy little 1/2 cup and 1 cup containers to put my food in so that i am more aware of portion sizes. I also am able to eat soft foods so i have chosen to eat high Protein low carb Snacks and meals (eating low carb is how i lost 37 lbs before even having surgery) hopefully the time will go by quickly and once i get my fill i have get back some of the restriction i felt when i first got banded...i realize that it doesnt all come at once, but some will be much better than the little to none i have right now lol...so hang in there, you are definately not alone..anyone that has been banded in may is going through the same thing right along with ya :sad:

Thanks everyone... it is very comforting to know I'm not alone and crazy for feeling like I haven't had surgery.

Good luck to us all!!!

the weeks between not being swollen from surgery and finally getting your first fill are called bander hell (according to all the post i read about it)...i was banded 5/7 and not due for a fill till 6/17 so i am right in the middle of it with you..over the weekend i made myself go out and buy little 1/2 cup and 1 cup containers to put my food in so that i am more aware of portion sizes. I also am able to eat soft foods so i have chosen to eat high Protein low carb Snacks and meals (eating low carb is how i lost 37 lbs before even having surgery) hopefully the time will go by quickly and once i get my fill i have get back some of the restriction i felt when i first got banded...i realize that it doesnt all come at once, but some will be much better than the little to none i have right now lol...so hang in there, you are definately not alone..anyone that has been banded in may is going through the same thing right along with ya :)

I agree! I was banded May 13th and I won't have a fill for another four weeks (if my doctor agrees). I'm hungry right now, but I've been trying to get more Protein in and I'm honestly feeling fuller now. Slim Fast Protein powder is amazing. Fills me right up (sipping 6 ounces). I add in a little creamy Peanut Butter and some low-fat milk and it gives you some great (and filling!) protein.

We can do this!! We didn't go through this surgery to give in during Bandster Hell! :lol:

I just received my UHC notice that the hospital and doctor sent in their bills for my surgery. $2K plus for my doctor and $18K plus for my surgery. WOW!! That was additional incentive for me to behave. I want this to be money well spent!

Plus, I'm going to California in October (hubby and I are doing a Pacific Coast Highway road trip R/T Seattle to San Diego) and I want to look goooood. :lol: LOL

I don't get my first fill until Jun 23rd. That seems like a year away, and I have had a bad week. With Memorial Day and eating out more often, I'm back to my old bad habits. It's like I freaked out that I couldn't eat and now that I can again I want to take advantage of it. :lol: But I'm ready to get back on track. I've lost 16 lbs and gained back 1 or 2. I've felt so great I don't want to lose that. I've realized that this is exactly why I had the Lap Band done to begin with; because I have a problem with control. We will always slip occasionally, because we're only human. We just need to tighten our belts and get back to business and focus on how great we'll look and feel this summer compared to last summer! :lol:

I had my surgery on 3/9/08, and just had my second fill yesterday, I didn't have any restriction up to this point. But, I am feeling some restriction now, so I hope that the weight starts coming off. I know what you mean about bandster hell, I lost 14 lbs. between surgery and my first fill, but when I went back for my second fill I had gained 4 1/2 lbs. back! Very discouraged about that, but when you don't have a restriction it is very hard to eat the small amounts, I mean that is why we had the surgery in the first place, if I had self control I wouldn't be in this situation! Good luck everyone.

I was banded on 21 April - drove myself home afterwards :biggrin:. Now, I did the two weeks liquids, two weeks mushies and then eased myself into the pureed foods. I am due for my first fill on 4 Jun - and I am in week five - where you "begin" to introduce the solid foods - well chewed of course! Well... I've been eatin' good! About 12 oz of cream of wheat in the morning; 2oz of tuna with about 15 fat free crackers for lunch and two grilled chicken legs on pita bread and fat free mayonaise for dinner! Man oh man do I drink Pathmark's Diet Cranberry/Pomgranate juice like it's going out of style! Of course I chew and chew, but not the chewing to a state of mush. I have been on the treadmill for one mile (22 mins) every other day and go for 30 min walks daily with the dog (casual pace). I lost 30lbs thus far- and have not gained anything... On a side note - I have the terrible dreams that my eating will make my stomach prolapse or move through the band. the band is stiched in place, but I get the willies. It feels good to see that there are others in the 'banster hell'. But we will get out of this!!!!!!!!!:lol: