Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 5/22 and need support

I can't believe I did this to myself. I was banded on 5/22 so today is my 5th day post-op. I can't believe people can go back to work 3 days later. I am having lots of nausea and just feel really bad. I don't have a lot of pain. I have a lot of stomach and intestinal distress. I can't seem to stop crying today. I hate feeling sick. I'm not good at it.

Please don't feel badly. It took me a good week to 10 days to feel better. It just takes a little time. Think positive thoughts as this is going to be one of the most positive things you have done in your life.

Good Luck!!

weight.png

You just need to relax and find something to calm your fears. I was banded on the 20th and woke up thinking- O.K... I want it out now! LOL

I cried for 2 days straight until I started writing in my journal. I had a little panic attack yesterday and started writing again.

I write about how I feel, about conversations I'm having, about my goals etc...

You need an out- because you're probably so use to getting up and going to the refrigerator or pantry when you're stressed and you just can't do that now.

Nausea is very common. You've just had major surgery. I'm still nauseous, but have found ways to calm it down. You need to sip on something warm like tea or broth. Slowly!

Lay down with a heating pad on your belly.

I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow and really can't see it happening, but I'm going to try my best. I may only be able to work 1/2 days for a little while, but I'm o.k. with that. I think once we get back into our daily routines, it's a bit easier.

I agree- I don't know how anyone can go back 3 days later! LOL

Congrats on making the decision to change your life for the better. Don't give up and don't be afraid. Everything will come together for you soon. Found an 'out' and try to rest.

If you're still taking pain meds, that could be what's causing your nausea. What stage of your diet are you in? If you're on creamy Soups make sure you take your meds with your meals. Absolutely take Gas-X 4x a day (or whatever the max is) and walk, walk, walk. The gas will make you nauseous and feeling yucky, too. By day 5 you should be feeling much, much better.

What you are going thru us what we ALL went thru. I promise you'll get past it and you'll come to love your band just like the rest of us veterans!! Just look FORWARD to all the positive changes you have in store!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE shopping in the regular size womens clothing now. That's my favorite thing!!

I too was banded on 5/22. and have had the same reactions as you mentioned. when I awoke this morning I was ready to call my md and see when this thing could come out. I dont have pain, only nausea and diarrhea. still not sure what i have done and if it doesn't get better how i can have it removed. i am very sad.

I went back to work on the 5th day after my surgery. I was in pain, had a lot of gas and mistakenly thought since i sat all day i would be fine. I ended up working half days the next two days and I am fine now. Everyone WILL NOT have the same experience. Take these post as help where applicable but they are'nt law. You recovery will never be exactly like anyone elses. Go at your pace and you WILL be fine.

It has been 5 wks today since I was banded. I was off work 2 wks...then a couple days after I went back I woke up feeling sick and hurting and had to call off. I sort of think 1/2 days back the first week would have been good for me. However, while I was off as long as I took it easy I felt pretty good...only when I pushed myself a little too much did I feel bad. I made sure I used my pain & nausea meds if I needed them even the least little bit, after all that's what they're for. I too used a heating pad, but it helped me more at nite for shoulder pain. But all in all I felt much better than I expected to. There were a few times in the past weeks where I felt some pain near my incisions while walking the dog and wondered if they would ever go away and I think they're finally gone. But here at 5 wks I'm doing good, working in the yard, mowing, walking...etc. I am finding I have a little more energy and am hoping as the weight comes off it will increase.

The thing is, we just had abdominal surgery! Sometimes it's hard to remember that. We've done the best thing we could do for ourselves...taking a step in the right direction to a healthier life. Just take it easy, use your pain meds and follow dr's orders on how to eat...you'll do great.

I can't believe I did this to myself. I was banded on 5/22 so today is my 5th day post-op. I can't believe people can go back to work 3 days later. I am having lots of nausea and just feel really bad. I don't have a lot of pain. I have a lot of stomach and intestinal distress. I can't seem to stop crying today. I hate feeling sick. I'm not good at it.

I was banded on 5/19 and thought the same thing you did. One of my friends had been banded and was back to work in 5 days. I am just starting to feel better. The gas will subside as long as you walk, walk, walk!! That is the key. I had terrible gas pains in my chest and shoulders and once I started walking it helped tremendously. I also asked my friend what she did when she felt nausea. She told me to take be whiffs of pepperment tea...actually open a box of pepperment tea and take big whiffs....it actually worked!!! Don't feel down, it will all be worth it in the long run!! Good luck with your new life!!! God Bless!!!

Fran :)

It gets better in time. Try to drink plenty of fluids. No pop or soda. I was banded 10-22-07 and you will be alright.

I have a question, I have these pains up the middle of my stomach and I wanted to know if any one who has been banded around the time as myself has experienced these pains.

I am having lots of nausea and just feel really bad.

I was banded the same day as you. The 3rd day was the worst for me. I have been feeling almost human since yesterday. I do get the odd head spins from the meds & still have shakey hands. As for the nausea, I have an ulcer, so I went into this process nauseaus. After the first day & a half, I replaced the broths with skim milk. It has really soothed my stomach & I have no more nausea.

I must be the poster child for easy banding. Banded 5/16 (Friday) back to work 5/19 Monday off pain meds Tuesday a little discomfort not too much and am now doing treadmill 30 mins a day plus 2 long walks with the dog. I hope you feel better soon!!!!

Elaine

It does get better.

I had to use my full 2 weeks off to recover. Please don't fret!!! It will get better!

Every person is different. I had a lot of nausea,too. The compazine suppositories my doctor prescribed really helped. I tried to sleep it off as much as I could, too. Make sure you are staying hydrated!

Just small frequent sips if that is all you can do right now.