Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still have pain in shoulder after 3 1/2 weeks post-op

Was banded on April 28th and still experiencing pain in my left shoulder especially after I eat. Went to Surgeon today for 1st fill and he said I'm eating too much or too fast at meals. He said a nerve/muscle is located right at the banded area that affects the shoulder. Strange isn't it? I've lost a total of 22 lbs. 5 lbs before surgery and 17 lbs after

I am over a year post op and still have shoulder pain if I eat too much.I think it is a great way for my mind to know to SLOW down or STOP!!!!:cool2:

I had it until about 6 weeks out, and it was pretty intense. I still get a shoulder twinge of pain if I too much. I remember between 3-4 weeks out I was pretty miserable, it is kind of like the pain of your back being misaligned but it is in your neck/shoulder area.

Luckily, I am fine now. Perhaps if you hang in there another week or two it will go away.

Shoulder pain can last a long time.

I found that when I got too hungry, in opposition to eating too much, the pain started.

I am 5 months out and still will get it although not as bad

First of all congrats on your band.

It is wonderful.

What helped me somewhat was an electric heating pad over my shoulder. Not sure how it did - but it felt better.

Good luck.

C.N.

wow, nice to know that I am completely normal! I am 7 weeks post op, and I get that shoulder pain something chronic, when I get hungry, and when I eat too fast. It's pretty intense. I'm hoping it will ease off a little, but since I know what it is, it's not too hard to deal with. I find a heat pack on the tummy (between the boobs especially) seems to help with that pain, and with the spasm of the oesophagus if something is not sitting right in the pouch.

I am 4 weeks out and the shoulder pain has been really bad lately. It seems to be very constant. It doesn't just happen when I am hungry or ate too much. The last week has been the worst. Hope it gets better soon.:)

I hope it starts feeling better soon too for you.

That shoulder pain can be tiring.

I am not sure it will totally go away for me, because it still rears it's ugly head.

In a way though, it is a reminder to me, to take care of myself.

Have you tried stretching out on the floor with your left hand extended above your hand? I started doing that along with the heating pad kind of instinctively.

Well, just know that alot of banders have been through and are going through what you are.

All the best.

C.N.

My last post should have read: left hand and arm extended above my head. Oops.

C.N.

Thanks C.N. for the tips. I will try that when I get home. I haven't tried the heating pad either. The dr. warned me that people who have the hiatal hernia repair has pain in their left shoulder. I just didn't think it would hang in there like it has. This site is great, because you do find other people who have the same issues and successes. :)

I had my surgery in October 2007. I had bad pain in the left shoulder for a few weeks after that. The surgeon and nurse both told me that it is very common for shoulder pain to occur when you have any laparascopic surgery because gas/air gets trapped and it needs to dissipate. I still get shoulder pain if I eat too much and end up throwing up. The surgeon said that when you throw up, you aggravate the area that the band is in, which can in turn, aggravate the shoulder. My solution for shoulder pain? One advil and elevate my left arm over my head - it really works (for some reason!)