Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna break down and get an UNfill...

I have been having a terrible time...I haven't been able to eat meat in almost a year. My GERD is constant. I practically live on liquids. I ate one deviled egg yesterday and had the fist in my chest feeling for 3 hours until I was able to throw it up. I don't have the money to keep going in for unfills and fills. I had one unfill 6 mos. ago but it didn't really change anything. I can eat a big bowl of Cereal at one sitting, which makes me think my "pouch" isn't small enough anymore. Any ideas? I can't eat much of anything, AND I've quit losing.

Edited by Halobabe
spelling

My advice is to get an unfill.

I see you got banded in MX... where do you go for fills/unfills?

Cincinnati, Ohio--- Dr. Curry and it's $150 a visit...out of pocket. I had gained 10 lbs because like you, I was eating a lot of junk food, because it sure slides right down! ;0( Pasta kills me, rice kills me, bread of any kind is off limits, even crackers hurt. I've quit the junky stuff though, been doing some slim fast and have lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks though. I exercise 5 days a week but haven't lost weight (until recently) in 6 mos. I'm down to 163 now...but have been down to 158

I'm scared to death of gaining weight back if I get an unfill.

Yeah, but can you really LIVE like this? Have you really considered the damage you might be doing to your stomach and esophagus? I'm not preaching... it's your body and your life....I respect that.

For me, I just want to learn how to find the perfect balance. Just because I CAN eat more...should I? No! Just because I can get a cheeseburger down, does that mean I should order that instead of a salad w/ vinaigrette? Choices, choices, choices. The band cannot do all the work. <talking to myself here>

I have been having a terrible time...I haven't been able to eat meat in almost a year. My GERD is constant. I practically live on liquids. I ate one deviled egg yesterday and had the fist in my chest feeling for 3 hours until I was able to throw it up. I don't have the money to keep going in for unfills and fills. I had one unfill 6 mos. ago but it didn't really change anything. I can eat a big bowl of cereal at one sitting, which makes me think my "pouch" isn't small enough anymore. Any ideas? I can't eat much of anything, AND I've quit losing.

Are you getting enough Protein in? Are you taking Vitamins? I know you are scared of gaining weight but I am afraid you might be sacrificing your health to be thin.

Having an unfill does not necessarily mean weight gain, specially if you are being careful and consientious about your food choices. This is true if you are eating meat/proteins and focusing on getting more healthy foods in. It helps to be at the "sweet spot" but it sounds like you have bypassed it at the risk of your own health. You may see weight gain if you continue eating slider foods along with increased capacity that a looser fill provides.

Slimfast might be helping you in the near term but may not be helpful over the long term. My doctor advised against drinking slimfast. She said that by taking in liquid/easy nutrition this way, it goes right through and I am not allowing the band to help me by giving me the full sensation. It is not very satisfying in the long run.

I have been reading posts on different web sites for a long time. One recurrent them that I have seen that people who are too tight for a long time is lack of weight loss (not to mention the physical side effects).

It doesn't have to be a large unfill, but something small may get you back to a more healthy diet and the additional weight loss you desire.

Even at my lowest fill amount for some reason a hard boiled egg is still the hardest thing for me to eat, scrambled fine, just not the egg white by itself!

I think cereal is easy because you've got milk along with it so it's going to go through your pouch. I usually eat shredded wheat as it's so full of Fiber and fills me up more than let's say a flake type cereal or an oatmeal which would go through me even quicker. I'm the "queen" of the go through the band eaters so I think I know what I'm talking about.

It's just another example of how we all have the lap band but we all seem to work it differently and some are working it in unhealthy ways. I hope you get it unfilled for a while and try to eat normally. I know everyone feels differently at different fill levels but you still have a band there and it can catch certain foods even if it's not filled very much. So focus on your health for now, good luck brandyII.:biggrin:

Hey everyone,

I can take down liquids with no problem. The problem is that I can feast or famine. Sometimes the restriction is so bad that I have to stop eating right away. Sometimes I can keep eating without getting full. Of course, I try to take the smjallest morsels of food on my fork when I can eat and chew chew chew. I think I might not be chewing that first bite so good or taking to big a bite because I forget about the band for a moment in my huntger and the way I'm used to eating. Anyway, I see my doctor tomorrow and hopefully he can help and figure out what's best for me,

a fill or an unfill. I'll let you know. Hang in there everyone.

For me, I just want to learn how to find the perfect balance. Just because I CAN eat more...should I? No! Just because I can get a cheeseburger down, does that mean I should order that instead of a salad w/ vinaigrette? Choices, choices, choices. The band cannot do all the work. <talking to myself here>

I am really torn on what to do. Since my unfill I am glad that I can make better food choices. BUT...since I quit smoking I am really struggling on choosing the right things. I have gained some and want it to stop but on the other hand I do not wanna go back to oatmeal & Soup either. I had the same amount removed that you did. Most days I could eat a horse if I allowed myself to. I hate spending a hundred bucks to get such a slight fill but I hate to gain weight more...:P

What to do, what to do...

Well, Tracy, at this point even 0.1cc can make a world of difference. The next fill I get, whenever that is, will be a 0.1, as will the one after that, and the one after that....etc. No more big jumps for me.

Well, I did it. I decided I couldn't keep living like this. I went to my bariatric doc and they did a barium swallow and saw that my band had "tilted" whatever THAT means. I don't know if that is a fancy word for slipped or not. Anyway, they said I HAD to have a complete unfill! Of course, I was upset because I'm thinking $150 for each re-fill!!! But it had to be done. I immediately felt SO MUCH BETTER! I don't have ANY GERD---which was keeping me up at night---AND I can eat anything---which I was not able to---without getting stuck. I am being good and not over eating, but I must admit, I did eat a chili-cheese hotdog for dinner on day 2!!! It tasted SO wonderful!!! And so far nothing has gotten stuck! I haven't eaten Soup since!!! Yea! I am going to do my best to not gain, and am supposed to go back to the doc in a month. I'm really not taking advantage, but am excited to be able to actually eat healthy like I'm supposed to on the band! I went to a buffet with the family for fathers day and ate a lot of salad, and actually ate meat! whoo-hoo! Life is good. Unfills are good! I must admit, I AM hungrier than usual, but I definitely needed an unfill and recommend it for any who are having severe GERD and food sticking problems.