Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to figure this out

I'm really having a hard time getting a hang of this band. When I first had my surgery I was full easily and it seemed like I barely had time to eat the little bit of food I got on the full liquid stage. I was at about 600-800 calories then. Then I got my first fill even though I wasn't sure I needed one. I lost for about 3 weeks, then hit a plateau and even gained 3 back over a three week period. At that time my calories slowly crept from 800 to about 1200. Last Tuesday I got my second fill and had 1072 calories that day then went down to 660-950 most recent right in the 700-800 range. I lost weight fast again. Took off the 3 I gained plus another 6 but over the last two days I've stalled again. Also, I don't feel quite as tight though I know I still have restriction because I almost threw up the last two nights at dinner. I'm also hungry fairly often.

Okay, now the questions. Do I just need a fill, even if just a small one? Is this just a normal body fluctuation or cycle? Am I hungry more often because I've boosted my metabolism? Should I kick up the calories for a couple days then drop them way down for a couple to shock my system? Do I need to change the kind of food I eat? I'm trying to stay low carb but I've been getting around 50-60g, couple days I was down to 40ish. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really worried and don't want to gain any back. I love when I'm losing fast and want to do my best to keep that going.

Also, I'm doing about the same amount of excercise for the last 3 weeks though I added aerobics one day. And my next fill is on 6-10. Anybody have any ideas on my million and one questions or ideas I might try?

When that happened to me, I changed stuff up. I was drinking the low carb Protein shake every morning and eating just about the same thing every day... hummus all the time... ect... so, I shook it up.. I went back to my tuna, Soups, turkey chili, Pho.. bam.. I started losing again.

Sometimes our bodies just need a slight change for a while. But, my way of doing things is probably different from others. I mostly eat healthy, but believe in having something bad every now and again.. if I have a craving I don't deny myself because in the past when I did that I would completely sabotage myself. Now, if I want chips and salsa at a restaurant, I have some, but only like 3 or 4 small ones.. and then I'm happy. If I want that nacho, I have it and don't feel guilty.

But, what makes the hugest difference in my weight loss is working out. If I didn't work out like I do, I don't know if I would be doing so well. So, I would just change things up a little bit.. if there is something you are eating every day, cut it out of your diet for like 4-5 days and see how that works.

Coolcrystal is absolutely right! When you stall, you have to switch things up, be a little bit bad for a few days, and them right back to the strict diet. I'm telling you, I've done this like three times already. I spent the first two months eating nothing but grilled fish and green veggies. After some very fast weight loss, I went through three weeks of gaining and losing the same three pounds over and over. Quite by accident (because I was absolutely FED UP!) I was a little bad over one weekend. If I wanted a beer, damnit, I had one! (Several, actually. It's hot here in Texas, you know.) Low and behold if the weight didn't start falling off again. Now, I ease up a little on the weekend, and I stay very strict during the week. I haven't had any huge stalls since. I'm losing a very healthy 8 to 10 pounds a month right now. For someone my size (Currently approx 185 lbs) that's all you want to lose. So, cut yourself a little slack, ease up on the diet for a few days (like go really wild and have 1500 calories for a couple of days) then right back to your strict diet. I betcha it'll work for your too. Your body thinks you're starving it to death, so you have to go, "See? We're not starving! There's plenty here!" Eventually, your metabolism will figure it out.

Edited by kjeter

Exactly what KJeter said... I didn't say it that well! When I was on my plateau I ate some bad things and bam... then I went back to the healthy stuff.. it's weird how our bodies work. lol.

I think I need to change things up too. I went through a period, when I first started eating regular food again, that I ate 800-900 calories a day and dropped rapidly, then plateaued. So then I went up to 1000-1200 calories and started losing rapidly again. Now I'm slowing down again, like from 5 lbs a week to just 1 or 2 the last week. I also tend to eat the same things over and over because a) I'm picky and :) I'm not at all creative in the kitchen.

I would love to give myself permission to have some bad days, but I feel so damn guilty when I do. I am like Crystal--I eat healthy most of the time and allow myself treats (like this past Saturday night, we went to McDonalds and had ice cream cones--yuuuuuum!) but I account for those in my daily intake and still don't let myself go over 1200 calories at absolute most. I'm wondering if dropping back to 800-900 a day would do the trick. Maybe I'll let myself be bad this weekend and see how things go.

My hats off to you and others that count calories... I refuse to do it.. i did it for a week once and it like controlled my life.. I don't want to live like that.. counting all the time.. I mean, how do you measure 4 tiny popcorn shrimp if the platter is 1200 calories? lol.. No thanks.. divide 10 by 1200 and get ..... I think this is why many people do stick with eating the same things all the time because they have the calories figured out already and its easy to deal with. lol.

I tried really hard to not count calories. However, when I don't, I get paranoid that I'm eating too much so it helps me to know exactly how much I'm eating everyday. I weigh and measure everything, unless I'm not home, then I try to guess. Last week I had lunch with my boss and there was no nutritional information on the restaurant's site so I couldn't input that. I was all freaked about it. :rolleyes:

Okay, now the questions. Do I just need a fill, even if just a small one? Is this just a normal body fluctuation or cycle? Am I hungry more often because I've boosted my metabolism? Should I kick up the calories for a couple days then drop them way down for a couple to shock my system? Do I need to change the kind of food I eat? I'm trying to stay low carb but I've been getting around 50-60g, couple days I was down to 40ish. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really worried and don't want to gain any back. I love when I'm losing fast and want to do my best to keep that going.

If you are throwing up, I would say you don't need a fill. However, you also said you are hungry, so I would look at what you are eating. I personally will not let myself go under 800 calories a day because when I do I feel crappy and hungry. Are you getting enough Protein? Do you eat just three meals a day or do you eat meals plus Snacks? Are you eating any slider foods instead of solid Proteins or drinking your calories? I wouldn't restrict calories so much that you are regularly hungry, that's just not a pleasant way to live. Once I started getting in all of my Protein through solid food and not supplements, I felt much more satisfied.

Also, I tend to lose weight in spurts. I'll lose 5-10 lbs quickly, then stay put for a while, then lose, etc. I also don't lose as well if I don't drink all of my Water each day.

Thanks guys. Gonna try to kick the calories up a bit for a couple days. Looks like it's gonna be work though I'm only at 750 so far today and I had half a chocolate muffin. Got the carbs up to 80g though. Maybe that's all it needs. Cross your fingers for me.

Also, has anyone else had this happen - I feel full but my stomach is still growling? Is that what they call head hunger? Or is it just cause of the way the band works? Or could be I'm a freak of nature. LOL

Ezma,

What a great loss. Congratulations. When I stalled, I went back to Protein Shakes in the am, light lunches and fish for dinner with vegetables and didn't watch anything I ate on the weekend dinners. I still watched lunches and breakfasts though. I found that by taking in different and of course some higher calories during the weekends, it jolted my plateaus and stagnancy and I lost more.

Also, has anyone else had this happen - I feel full but my stomach is still growling? Is that what they call head hunger? Or is it just cause of the way the band works? Or could be I'm a freak of nature. LOL

Yeah, I call that my upper belly and lower belly.. sometimes my lower belly growls, but I'm not really hungry.. it's weird. lol. as long as my upper belly doesn't feel hunger, I just ignore that growling lower belly.. most of the time I don't have it, but it sometimes happens..

My hats off to you and others that count calories... I refuse to do it.. i did it for a week once and it like controlled my life.. I don't want to live like that.. counting all the time.. I mean, how do you measure 4 tiny popcorn shrimp if the platter is 1200 calories? lol.. No thanks.. divide 10 by 1200 and get ..... I think this is why many people do stick with eating the same things all the time because they have the calories figured out already and its easy to deal with. lol.

I agree. I have two theories about food. First, food should not hurt. Second, eating and math should never mix. I refuse to count them too. I also tried to count and it took control of my life. I want to learn to eat healthy, but at the same time, enjoy life.

Looks like I need to be baaaad (*make that sound like a sheep*). I think I can stretch to be naughty just to break this plateau.

I was having my own pity party last night thinking that I am probably in a spot where I have been many times before. In the past when I have been on diets I have always lost around the same weight or got to a certain time after starting, only to let the bad habits creep back in again. I have eaten small portions of chocolate occasionally, not enough to have not lost and not gained weight though! I think without knowingly have done it, I have become bored with it all.. But now I don't know the funk I am in! I am having difficulty moving beyond the head hunger stage now.

However, food no longer rules my life and that's my most important NSV so far.

Today I had porridge and a banana for breaky, 100g tin tuna and a cucumber with 200g yoghurt and probably some spag bol for dinner before I go to netball. I think this is still too much, as I am still hungry with a small amount of resriction. What do you think?

Today I had porridge and a banana for breaky, 100g tin tuna and a cucumber with 200g yoghurt and probably some spag bol for dinner before I go to netball. I think this is still too much, as I am still hungry with a small amount of resriction. What do you think?

Would you really want to eat less than that? I want to be able to eat 3 small meals a day. There is no reason to be more restricted than that. How can you get everything you need if you can't eat?

Sounds like a really good, healthy day's worth of food. As long as the portions aren't big, I think it sounds great.

By the way, I think I need to find a new way to handle my plateau's. I did good upping my calories for a couple days. I dropped two but then I couldn't bring my calories back down. I thought I had it yesterday but by dinner I whacked out and ate junk. Today is a new day and I'm determined to do it right. So for me the shock worked on the plateau but I'm too weak spirited to stop and bring it back down for now. So I think I'm back to just watching and waiting. If I can keep myself off the scale it would help too.