Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panic Attacks and the Lap Band

I have Panic Disorder and have panic attacks out of the blue from time to time (mainly when I am most at peace or even asleep). I take Xanax every four hours to keep them at bay.

The nurse at my doc's office said that it should not be a problem but I was wondering if anyone else has these.

I have Panic Disorder and have panic attacks out of the blue from time to time (mainly when I am most at peace or even asleep). I take Xanax every four hours to keep them at bay.

The nurse at my doc's office said that it should not be a problem but I was wondering if anyone else has these.

I don't have panic attacks but my daughter used to and she's only 19. They're pretty much situational in nature. She has lorazepam (sp) in case of a panic attack it supposed to work quickly. I was taking clonapin (sp) for anxiety. She's getting bariatric surgery next week and I'm hoping her panic attacks will stay far away for long while!!

Are you more concerned about the effectiveness of the meds after surgery? I've never had a problem with my antidepressant or anti-anxiety meds since mine but like I said I don't have panic attacks. Did the doctor who prescribes your meds say you'd be fine or the surgeon. I'd just make sure you get the okay on the meds from the prescribing doc. Good luck to you on your surgery, brandyII.

Both docs are okay with it. My general doc is okay with me having surgery and my Lap Band doc is fine also. I was just curious to know if anyone else was dealing with the same thing and how they were dealing with it after the surgery.

I do know that one thing I am wondering is about the day before surgery how you are not supposed to eat after midnight and all. I have to have my Xanax every four hours or things go bad pretty quick. I can maybe go six hours but it varies from day to day. Wouldn't that be lovely to be in the ER at one hospital hours before I have surgery at another. Somehow I think that would throw a monkey wrench in everything. :cursing: Perhaps they can give me a longer lasting benzo for that night.

Were you already told not to take the drugs prior to surgery? I don't even remember now what they told me as it was nine months ago. Eating is one thing but taking certain meds is something else. I know I knew I would not be able to sleep the night before and that would be as much as I had to worry about but I knew I'd be knocked out for a while so I could sleep then, lol. I still take a clonapin at night for a little "sleep" assistance.

I'd double check on the drug situation part of anxiety and panic attacks can be anticipatory in nature and God knows you're anticipating your surgery! I'm not a doc but do have a bit of personal experience with dealing with my own depression/anxiety and my daughter's and many family members so I know it's a real issue for your, hope everything works out for you.

Also, just want to add that I've had many surgeries in the past and this was the easiest breeziest of them all! brandyII.

I have not been told that I cannot take them. I was just hoping that I will not be told not to take them in the future (prior to surgery). I agree that the excitement of the impending surgery may be enough to knock me over the edge into a panic attack the night before if I cannot maintain that level of medication in my system. I take Cymbalta as well. My general doc and my psych doc both feel that these are temporary for some reason but don't know what the reason is. Say they feel I will be able to be off both meds within a year but I am not so sure. Wondering if they are here to stay and I just need to learn to accept them as a part of my life. Desperately want them to go away forever.

I have never had trouble like this before February of this year and then BOOM. In one day I had three. Ended up in the ER six times in five days before we finally got them under control. Now I only have one if I try to stretch out my Xanax. I have learned (the hard way) to stop doing that. :wink2:

Benhangal - I have been on anti depressants for 17 years for panic attacks. I have an occasional attack now usually brought on by hormones, and usually in the middle of the night. My doctor gives me 30 xanex a year. 30 period!! He does this, because he knows I have to have them with me at all times because of the horrendous fear of a panic attack. He knows I don't take them. The reason I say this is because Xanex is a highly addictive drug that is not presribed to be taken on a continual basis.

So one doctor is giving them to you, and another lapband doctor knows you take them continually. Unless the Xanex from your area is different from here I can't believe someone is prescribing you this. If this is what you are really doing, I think you should get your panic attacks controlled with the proper medication before you get a lap band.

I have a general doc, a psychiatrist, and my Lap Band doc. I only take .25 mg every four hours which does not phase my day. I work and function normally. It is without them that I am in bad shape. All of the docs have said that the dose is safe and that even if I have to take them forever I will be fine. They say that if I am on them for a long time and have to go off for some reason that there would be some withdrawl to deal with but that I could be eased off of them and that I am perfectly fine on them.

They had me on Klonapin in the beginning which just drugged me too much and then Ativan which did not drug me but did not agree with me. It made me very very cranky. So they moved me to Xanax and now all is well. I know another lady from my church who has been on Xanax for two years for anxiety and she is on the same dose as I am. I believe it to be the safest med of all they have tried for me so far. I know that a benzo is a benzo but this one stops my panic attacks and lets me keep a clear head. All three docs agree that I am ready for my Lap Band and we all agree that I am stable as long as I take the Xanax like I am supposed to. Without it they come back very quickly right now.

My psychiatrist said it may take months to settle them down forever.

When I went for my pre surgery work up, I met the aneiste..ologist (sp?) Hell you know the guy who puts you to sleep. Well anyway he said I could take a Xanex if I was really nervous. One of the things I am terrified of is medication, so I was really afraid to be put to sleep.

I can't really remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure he said to take it the morning before surgery. They'll tell you when you go for pre- admitting.

Also, when I started having panic attacks I went to the library and got books about them. It helped me just to read that what was happening to me was common, and to read different philosophies on why they happen.

I have a general doc, a psychiatrist, and my Lap Band doc. I only take .25 mg every four hours which does not phase my day. I work and function normally. It is without them that I am in bad shape. All of the docs have said that the dose is safe and that even if I have to take them forever I will be fine. They say that if I am on them for a long time and have to go off for some reason that there would be some withdrawl to deal with but that I could be eased off of them and that I am perfectly fine on them.

They had me on Klonapin in the beginning which just drugged me too much and then Ativan which did not drug me but did not agree with me. It made me very very cranky. So they moved me to Xanax and now all is well. I know another lady from my church who has been on Xanax for two years for anxiety and she is on the same dose as I am. I believe it to be the safest med of all they have tried for me so far. I know that a benzo is a benzo but this one stops my panic attacks and lets me keep a clear head. All three docs agree that I am ready for my Lap Band and we all agree that I am stable as long as I take the Xanax like I am supposed to. Without it they come back very quickly right now.

My psychiatrist said it may take months to settle them down forever.

That's the beauty of these types of disorders one shoe does not fit all. Just because one drug works for me doesn't mean it works for my daughter and we're from the same gene pool.

We're both on Cymbalta too and that does help me with my depression but it didn't seem to do much for anxiety which I get now and again. Can't always predict but never gets to be a full blown panic attack, knock on wood!!!!!!!

My daughter is on Adavan which is also Lorazepam and it seemed to work fine for her when she was in school and was having a panic attack she was to take them to stop it. Like I said with her it's situational.

I take the Clonazepam or clonapin which is also a "controlled substance" script and can take up to three a day and I had been taking two and now am down to one at night because I think it has been interfering with my weight loss metabolism-wise, which can be an unfortunate side effect of these meds but I would not go off them and sacrafice my sanity for a pound, been there done that.

My brother had his panic attacks when he was in his 20s and they've come and gone. He's always been on antidepressants though. I can't remember what he took for anxiety but I'm sure it's the same class of drug that yours is. Anyway the last time he had his panic attack problem was when he had some mentor type person convince him that he should get off his antidepressants and I don't know do yoga or something. My poor brother's attacks were so bad he couldn't get off the floor, he was just so freaked. It was awful talking to him on the phone during this time but I convinced him to go back to a psychiatrist, this was not a sign of weakness but a chemical imbalance and he did and he's on effexor and whatever I can't remember in case he had panic attacks but it was actually going off the antidepressant that brought them back.

Not that would happen to everyone but he's able to just be on his antidepressants now and hasn't had panic attacks in a long time. I've never had an actual one I get the start of one in very particular situations but it passes so I'm lucky and I know it.

Anyway if whatever you're on now doesn't work they'll find something that does eventually so have faith, you will be better soon and good luck with your surgery, brandyII.:wink2:

I take xanax for anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I made sure that the surgeon and anethesiologist knew about this. Both of them told me that it was OK for me to take the xanax the night before and the morning before surgery. Just be open and honest with your doctors...I was very concerned as well. I took a half of a one in the morning and made sure to tell them again on my arrival that I had taken it. They said that it was no problem. I went into the surgery and came out just fine!

I have them, mostly when my life becomes to scheduled. I used to have them driving. Not anymore. Mine are pretty sporatic. I don't take medication. I am extremely sensitive to medicine, esp. narcodics so my Dr. said as long as I don't have them often I am fine.

Working out helps reduce their frequency too. Though I don't know how well I would be able to on xanax. It's a good tool for some people, but all it does it make me sleep and eat and eat and sleep.< /p>

Good to hear that I will (most likely) be able to take my Xanax before surgery. I will mainly need it during the night. The anestesthetic (sp?) should be enough to suppress them until I am able to take it after surgery.

Mine come on just out of the blue and mostly during relaxed or sleeping times. Truly thought I was dying the first few bigs ones that I had but now (as long as I am awake) I am able to breathe through them when they start. I also use a lot of relaxation techniques that I learned from a naturalist. I will go lie in a tub of very warm but not hot Water until all of my face is covered except for the breathing parts. That helps alot. I also use lavender oil behind my ears and a dab on my chest when they start. On the Xanax though I don't really have any.

I have had chocolate this week so I have had the beginnings of a couple but that is my own fault. Helped out at a funeral dinner at my church and had two Peanut Butter fudge brownies. Way bad for me. Then had a regular Coke later (where was my brain?). Way worse for me.

Anyway, cleaning my body of the bad stuff now and steering way clear of them. I do great on Decaf stuff and no chocolate.

My Xanax does is so low that I function normally. I have done all my spring cleaning this week. With five kids that is a lot of cleaning. :) I am not slowed down by it at all. I take a little nap late afternoon most days (20 minutes or so) but that is just part of my lifestyle. We keep a fast pace in this house and in order to keep up with my kids I need the little siesta everyday. Makes me a good mom all evening with them and our schedule.

I think Lunabean (sp?) is right. It is different for everyone. I am just happy to not be living in a drug cloud anymore.