Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First step down the path

Greetings.

This is the first time I have ever been in a forum. I started searching and found this site when I began thinking of being banded. I am not sure I am going about this in the right way but I would like to converse with others who have done this and can give me info and encouragement down this path which I have chosen.

I have already come across some hurdles but nothing I have not been able to overcome, yet anyway.

My gp wants me to have the banding done locally which I can agree with but one doc in this area just gives me the creeps, one does not take my insurance and the group of others want a lot of the money up front and the insurance will repay me. Well I just don't have that money to pay upfront. So I am going to a doc in Baytown, about 70 miles away from Beaumont, to a Dr. Pina.

A friend who I go to church with used him for her banding a year ago and she is also a nurse at the hospital he uses. She has been very pleased. I went to their orientation last Saturday and Dr. Pina was there and he seemed very nice and informative. He answered everyone's questions and they were very open about complications and side effects.

I would like some feed back by anyone who has used him. If you have please contact me.

Now I am at the step where I am waiting on the insurance approval.

I have pretty much made up my mind to take this step and now i would like to contact any others who have been banded in Beaumont and would like to talk with others locally who have been or are going to be banded.

Thanks for checking my post out and God Bless!!

Hi and welcome to LBT! Being comfortable with your surgeon is very important in this process. You were wise not to compromise on that point just to make your PCP happy. The waiting is the hardest part of the whole process. Check the USA support threads, they are broken down by states and there are LOADS of other Texans floating around here. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Wow, thanks for replying so quickly to my post. I am very computer literate but not very up to date on these forums and blogs and such. I have sat in front of a computer for years at work and at home I just didn't ever have the extra time to "play".

But when I got on to this site everyone seemed pretty friendly and so I thought I might give it a try and it could be a great tool for my journey to weight loss.

My friend has been very successful and actually works on the surgical floor of the hospital and knows first hand about this surgeon.

I am a person who makes decisions and takes action quickly and this waiting process is really frustrating. I understand there are those who need this process but I do not. I realize the risks and have prayed about it and have peace from God and so I am ready to take action.

So now I guess I am in a holding pattern waiting on the doc's office and the insurance to make a decision and then I will have to wait for this to be scheduled.

So since I seem to be placing the "walking the path" thing to this then I must be in a rest area!! LOL

This site is pretty user friendly if you aren't one to be afraid to click and see what happens.LOL And the amount of knowledge and support you can get is just overwhelming!

Usually, it's the insurance part that causes the most waiting. They have the hoops they want you to jump through, then they want to take their time getting back to you with approval! Just hang in there and it will all be over before you know it! Good luck and look forward to sharing your journey.