Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Advice Needed

I have a question for you all about this. I've had two fills since my surgery. My surgeon has been unable to access my port both times and another surgeon in the office has had to do it.

The first visit my doctor stuck me about a dozen or more times with no success. The second doctor was able to do it the first time.

This last visit, Friday, my doctor again tried to do the fill and after two tries the other doctor took over. It took him two tries and he was able to do the fill. I had so much restriction that I could hardly drink Water and he decided we needed to take some out. Needless to say I wasn't very happy about it because I was hurting pretty badly by then. Not only do they stick me multiple times they also keep pressing on the area over and over and over.

Well, he tried and tried and couldn't locate the port again. He must have stuck me about 8 times or more. So, I finally told him to quit. I couldn't take it anymore. Well, that ticked him off and he left the room and never came back.

Okay, so here's the weird part. I now have no restriction. None! I gained two pounds over the weekend because I ate too much. It wasn't intentional. I didn't realize how much I had eaten until I logged it all in.

I'm also angry because I'm tired of being treated like a human pincushion. Does anyone else feel this way or am I out of line? Seriously. My port area has never stopped hurting since surgery on March 12. The doctor even told me he felt a bump.

I think that if they can't locate the port after 2 or 3 attempts they should stop and do it under fleuro. Am I being unreasonable? Seriously. Should I just lay there and let them stick me again and again and again and not complain? How likely is that to cause an infection? If they aren't getting the needle into the port, exactly where is it going? Could they stick the tube and cause the saline to leak out? I know I'm asking a lot of questions here.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

I have a question for you all about this. I've had two fills since my surgery. My surgeon has been unable to access my port both times and another surgeon in the office has had to do it.

The first visit my doctor stuck me about a dozen or more times with no success. The second doctor was able to do it the first time.

This last visit, Friday, my doctor again tried to do the fill and after two tries the other doctor took over. It took him two tries and he was able to do the fill. I had so much restriction that I could hardly drink Water and he decided we needed to take some out. Needless to say I wasn't very happy about it because I was hurting pretty badly by then. Not only do they stick me multiple times they also keep pressing on the area over and over and over.

Well, he tried and tried and couldn't locate the port again. He must have stuck me about 8 times or more. So, I finally told him to quit. I couldn't take it anymore. Well, that ticked him off and he left the room and never came back.

Okay, so here's the weird part. I now have no restriction. None! I gained two pounds over the weekend because I ate too much. It wasn't intentional. I didn't realize how much I had eaten until I logged it all in.

I'm also angry because I'm tired of being treated like a human pincushion. Does anyone else feel this way or am I out of line? Seriously. My port area has never stopped hurting since surgery on March 12. The doctor even told me he felt a bump.

I think that if they can't locate the port after 2 or 3 attempts they should stop and do it under fleuro. Am I being unreasonable? Seriously. Should I just lay there and let them stick me again and again and again and not complain? How likely is that to cause an infection? If they aren't getting the needle into the port, exactly where is it going? Could they stick the tube and cause the saline to leak out? I know I'm asking a lot of questions here.

Hi so sorry to hear that happened to you , I have only gotten 3 fills but understand a teeny bit, I go to a wonderful fill center . The first time I got a fill it did take her 3 times to find the port (w/o fluro)and however the third poke worked(T/G) in fact she asked me if I wanted to wait till the following week and use fluro or try once more...it was my choice. The next time it was the first try,, I personally hate needles..and think I would let your doc know you are uncomfortable. Your reasons sound valid to me ,,,

YES You have every right to be upset. And honestly I would not let your doc stick you again ! You do not have to sit there and be a human pin cushion . If the other doc does a better job transfer your care to him !

And yes they can stick the tubing and cause a leak , if you do not have restriction now i would call them and request a look . If you have a leak there is NO WAY IN HELL I would be paying for a damn thing associated with that leak after what you just said !

I would have them check your port for an infection as well !

I would be PISSED !!!

Mindy

Hi so sorry to hear that happened to you , I have only gotten 3 fills but understand a teeny bit, I go to a wonderful fill center . The first time I got a fill it did take her 3 times to find the port (w/o fluro)and however the third poke worked(T/G) in fact she asked me if I wanted to wait till the following week and use fluro or try once more...it was my choice. The next time it was the first try,, I personally hate needles..and think I would let your doc know you are uncomfortable. Your reasons sound valid to me ,,,

Kathy, thank you for your reply.

YES You have every right to be upset. And honestly I would not let your doc stick you again ! You do not have to sit there and be a human pin cushion . If the other doc does a better job transfer your care to him !

And yes they can stick the tubing and cause a leak , if you do not have restriction now i would call them and request a look . If you have a leak there is NO WAY IN HELL I would be paying for a damn thing associated with that leak after what you just said !

I would have them check your port for an infection as well !

I would be PISSED !!!

Mindy

Mindy,

I'm a very easy going person and it takes a lot to make me angry. Even in the office I was very apologetic like it was my fault or something. As I thought about it over the weekend I realized how stupid I was for apologizing. Good grief. It wasn't my fault they couldn't locate the port. So then I got mad and I've gotten angrier the more I've thought about it. However, since this is so new to me I started thinking I was being unreasonable. :confused_smile:

I'm going to send an email to the PA and let her know what's going on. I was supposed to call her on Saturday but I was too angry to talk to anyone. I also wanted to see if anyone would call me but of course that didn't happen. :thumbs_up:

Teena

My surgeon numbs the area before he starts the fill. I feel pressure, but no pain. My port is a little tilted so he has had some challenge getting it, but he has not had to stick me multiple times. He just maneuvers the needle to get in.

So sorry to hear you have experienced fill issues. Next time ask him to numb the area first and don't be afraid to speak up if you are feeling pain, they can give you more numbing medicine.

Hope the next fill is better, because restriction is FANTASTIC!

Hope you have a better day.

Cherlita

Even with out numbing meds ( I dont get numb) it should be a piece of cake.

It takes my doc about 30 seconds for my fill !

If my doc poked my more than 3 times I would stop him and say " Lets go get flouro "

Mindy

I did ask the PA why they couldn't just do it under Fluoro and she said something about the difficulty in scheduling the machine.

I sent her an email this morning about this situation. I'm not going to go through this anymore. I am so over it.

The area hurts just to have them pushing on it. One of the doctors said he could feel a lump in there (which is what hurts so bad!) but didn't say another thing about it.

Well, the docs office has scheduled a meeting with me in two weeks. I asked again about fluoro and this time was told that fluoro isn't used for fills. :wink2: I have printed a volume of info off the web that says it is. I also called the other doc in town and they use fluoro for every fill.

My husband is going to go with me to this meeting. To tell you the truth, I'm kinda worried they might decide not to continue with me as their patient. I don't know what I'll do then. The other doctor won't take me.

Prayers for this situation would be most appreciated!:biggrin: Thanks!

I have had flouro with EVERY SINGLE one of my fills with the exception of the last one because i chose not to have it because my doc could feel my port and guess what ? he stuck me the FIRST TIME NO ISSUES !!!

I Dont know they will drop you as a patient , IF They do and you got 1 yrs worth of fills DEMAND your money back on that.

You might want to try to line up another doc just in case ?

But I think your jumping the gun ?

I would wait and see what they say ? Be honest , tell them your not comfortable w/ the way the doc has commented on the band and you feel like your not important neither is your band to him. The fact is HE WORKS FOR YOU .

HTH

Mindy

PS what state do you live in ?

Yes, I'll be honest with them. I hate confrontation though. I'm glad my husband is going with me. I live in TN. I'm sure it will be okay. I'm just nervous about the whole situation. You know?

I've had two fills and am still waiting to feel restriction. My doctors are fabulous, at the University of Penn in Phila., PA. The fills are a breeze. The worse part for me is the upper gi afterwards! Hate that chalky drink. I have lost 50 pounds lus far, was banked 1/31/08. They say I'm doing fine but I want to know when will I feel restriction? My first fill was 3cc and the second was 2cc. They say my band is 10cc. I'm sure all will be fine, give it time!

I had the same thing and yesterday found out I have a leak from all the sticking. I will never have a fill blind again if I have it fixed

I am so sorry you have gone through this too. I hope the doctor is going to do your repair for free? He should.

I met with the director of the weight loss center and things worked out really well. He agreed that sticking me that many times is unacceptable. He asked if he could try to find the port and I said yes. But, that after two attempts I want them to quit. He gave it a whirl and what he found out is that my port is really "stiff". Some ports are really soft and it's very easy to know that they are on top of it. With mine, it is hard and so they weren't pushing the needle in hard enough because they think they are sticking the hard outer ring.

Anyway, he's going to do my fills from here on out. I trust him and feel comfortable that he's going to put me first. He did say that when the other doctor walked out, he wasn't angry with me for telling him to stop. He was angry at himself for not being able to access the port. I told him they really need to think about the patient and what we're thinking in those situations.

Anyway, we had a really good meeting and I feel certain that things are going to be better from here on.

Just an update if anyone is interested. I was really sure things were going to get better but they haven't. I am not going back there again. I went in last week for a scheduled appointment and was met by the nut. We had about a half hour or so meeting in which I was told I wasn't eating enough. I have been following the guidelines they gave me (notebook) but was told I am doing it wrong. I'm drinking too many Protein shakes (I have one for Breakfast everyday) and that I need to eat more at each meal.

So, after all that I was told the doctor had been called to the OR and wouldn't be meeting with me. Boy was I upset. I have to take off work and while my employer is really great about it, the time off really starts to add up.

So, anyway I made another appointment for this past Thursday. I asked to be called if he wasn't going to be there. Well, he was there. He came in on the attack! First thing out of his mouth was "you've lost 11 pounds since your last fill. HOW DID YOU DO IT! Tell me what you eat everyday. I mean he was hateful! I couldn't get a word in because he wouldn't stop berating me. I wasn't eating enough, I wasn't eating correctly, I am drinking too many Protein drinks. I was absolutely mortified!:thumbup:

Then he started on how many fills I've had. I've actually only had 3 fills but he said I've had five (like that really matters anyway). I told him he was wrong and he said no I'm not. I've done two fills on you. :confused2: He's only done one! He said it's right here, I can read my own writing! If I had had any sense at all I would have gotten up and left right then and there.

Needless to say, he couldn't access my port. He kept trying to inject the scar tissue around the scar. He kept sticking and poking. It's really lovely when they leave the needle in and then move it around trying to find the port. But let me tell you, it really hurts when they think they've got it and just jab the needle in real hard and it isn't the port!:tt2: I had to make him stop several times. Finally I just told him to stop and forget it. He left the room and the PA had the nerve to say to me that "well if we've learned anything it's not to put the band in people with Fibro." What!?!:cool2: The doctor can't locate the port and now it's my fault because I have fibro? What I can't figure out is how all these egotistical, arrogant, uncaring people found each other in that office.

I wish there was a way to know what to expect from a doctor before you have this procedure done. They had me totally fooled. I would never recommend anyone going to these people to have their surgery. The care we receive after the surgery is so critical to the success of the band. Yes, I have to do my part, and I have. But the staff and the doctor play a huge roll in how successful we'll be. I refuse to go back there now. So, I've paid over $20,000 out of my own pocket. I'm hungry and I need a fill. I need it done under fluro and the only doctor in town that does it won't take me.

So, here I sit this morning angry and sad and with my belly hurting from the abuse I took on Thursday. I'm going to write a letter to the other doctor in town and plead my case and beg him to take me as a patient. If he doesn't I'm not sure what I'll do.

I'm still glad I got the band though. I've lost 50 pounds and I feel so much better. But, if I can't get a fill doctor I don't know what I'll do. Thanks for listening and letting me get this off my chest.:mellow: