Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandlife... The Beginning (first 4 To 6 Weeks)

I wanted to share this with anyone who is interested. It is info that I got from my doctor. Thought it may help those who are in the first few weeks, like me.

BANDLIFE... THE BEGINNING (FIRST 4 TO 6 WEEKS)

Healing

Key points about healing

• Take it easy, because your number one job in the coming weeks is to heal.

• You'll also break from some of your old habits and take on some new ones.

How does the band work?

The band is connected by a thin tube to an access port. Your access port sits just under your skin.

Almost all surgeons leave the band empty after placing it because your stomach is swollen from the operation. There's already a natural tightness around the "stoma" (the opening between the upper and lower stomach). If the band was filled, food would have a hard time passing through the stoma. As the swelling goes down, you'll most likely need an adjustment (or a "fill").

bandlife.jpg

Healing do's and don'ts

Right now, your stomach is sewn over the band. As you heal, the tissue around your stomach will form scars, which anchor the band in place to help keep it from slipping. As your band settles in, there are some things you can do to make sure it doesn't slip:

• Do NOT do any heavy-duty exercise or lifting (like kids or bags of groceries) in the first few weeks after surgery. You don't want to strain yourself.

• DO get up and around as much as you can. After surgery, keeping your blood flowing will help prevent blood clots or pneumonia. Go ahead and take a walk. It will also help move some of that gas you're probably feeling in your belly.

• DO stick to the liquids-only diet as long as your doctor asks you to. Typically, this lasts for the first 2 weeks because eating things that can make you throw up or make your stomach churn as it tries to digest thicker food can cause the band to slip.

• Do NOT take a bath, swim, or soak in any Water until your cuts are healed over. You don't want to run the risk of getting an infection. Most doctors say to wait at least 1 week. But ask if it's OK to shower.

• Do NOT smoke after surgery. Smoking slows down the blood flow all over your body and slows down the healing process.

The general rule about healing is "slowly but surely."

Going back to work

Most people go back to desk jobs in about 1 week, sometimes sooner. If your work is more physically demanding, you'll want to take more time.

If you feel tired or feel any pain, do NOT push it.

During this time you should call your doctor if something feels wrong. Call if you:

• Notice that your surgical area becomes red, unusually warm or tender

• There's drainage oozing

• You have a fever of 101° F or higher

• Have serious belly pain

• Are dizzy

• Are short of breath

• Have bad nausea and are vomiting

If you need to go to the hospital, tell them that you have a LAP-BAND and show them your patient ID card. Then make sure they call your surgeon.

Eating and Drinking

While your stomach is healing, you have to be extra careful and extra gentle. You'll have to start listening to your body in a new way to see how it feels and what it needs.

There are 3 eating phases following your procedure, and you should speak with your doctor about how long each one should last for you.

Phase 1: Clear liquids

These are liquids that you can see through, such as:

• Water

• Sugar-free juice without pulp

• Tea

• Strained broth

BANDLIFE2.jpg

Do NOT drink anything carbonated. Sodas and seltzer water can bloat and stretch your pouch.

Stick to Clear Liquids as long as your doctor instructs.

"Full liquids" are things like skim milk, low-fat yogurt without chunks of fruit, blended Soups, Protein Drinks, and anything low-fat and low-sugar that you can sip through a straw. Some doctors will keep you on full liquids for the first 2 weeks. But the amount of time in any one phase can vary. So find out what your doctor wants you to do.

Phase 2: Soft foods

This includes foods that are low-fat, moist, and mushy. You want to stay away from anything chunky, chewy, stringy, or solid that can get stuck inside the stoma. Your masher, food processor, or blender will come in handy.

Good breakfasts are:

• Cooked cereal

• Eggs

• Ripe bananas

Lunches and dinners include:

• Low-fat cottage cheese

• Soft broiled fish

• Mashed potatoes

BANDLIFE3.jpg

In this phase you'll need to take really tiny bites and chew them well. You want to make sure your food goes down easily. But successful weight loss won't happen if you stay in this phase too long. Soft, mushy foods that are high in calories or that you are eating all day long can keep your weight on.

Phase 3: Solid food

Regular, solid, but well-chewed food that's high in Protein stays in your pouch longer and gives you a full feeling sooner. Your doctor may or may not want you to eat solid food before the first adjustment. Please ask so you know for sure.

bandlife4.jpg

Drinking

You want to stay hydrated, so drink water in slow sips. Cold water can cause your stomach to spasm, so try water that's room temperature or warm. When you move into the soft food phase, get into the habit of drinking between meals and not before, during, or right after you eat. You don't want to wash food through your stoma.

What's Next

Even though your goal is to lose at least half of your excess weight in the first year, do not expect to lose much weight during the first 4 to 6 weeks. Some people do lose weight, but others don't. Don't get discouraged if you don't see the pounds fly off right away.

As the swelling goes down in your stomach, your stoma will naturally widen and you may not get that full-feeling signal. You'll see big changes once your band is fine-tuned with a fill or several fills, and once you're eating solids, especially protein, you'll feel full faster.

Right now it's most important to stick with your instructions, ask questions if you don't know the answer, and pay attention to how you're feeling.

Excellent post - thanks.

Now worried because I had to take in some groceries the other day (including a heavy box of cat littler) as my husband was out of town for work!

I didn't know that it was not good to exercise too much at this stage. Does anyone know how many stitches we have inside of us?

I think it depends on your Dr. I know the only stitches I have are the two or three that are holding the band in my muscles. (My surgeon used the super glue type stuff on my incisions.)

Thanks so much for the information. It's similar to what my doctor provided as well but it didn't include the bathing part. Thanks!

My doctor used internal stitches and then put the superglue over top.

That was what my dr shared, but it never hurts to reread that info. I know when you feel good it is hard to remember that we just had surgery and are healing inside and still need to give our bodies time to heal and adjust. Good Luck to all of us!!!!

This is great stuff.... Thanks... It actually needs to stay at the top of THIS PAGE.....SO anyone that has doubts can see.... Thanks for posting...

This is a fantastic and helpful post but one thing does concern me and that's the sipping thru a straw - I've been told by my doctor and dietician that it's a big NO - causes you to swallow air, etc.

Double check me, but I'm confident it's not allowed.

I have read several post about drinking through a straw. Some doctors don't want you too and some don't care. Mine is one that doesn't care. I have only drank through a straw because I tend to want to gulp if not....I can take tiny sips through a straw and it hasn't given me problems. I think it depends on the person...if it causes problems then of course you don't want to but if you can tolerate it and it doesn't cause problems then I don't think it matters. I could be completely wrong but according to my doctor it is ok. I have said before I think you have to listen to your body. Your doctor can give you guidence but you are the one that knows what is best! I wish everyone luck on your journey!!!!