Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it normal to be less then a week out and be able to drink all day and not "fill" up. I am drinking Water only unless it is a Protein Shake. It takes me about 30 mins to drink a 8 oz Protein shake. I am starting to feel like I can drink more then most that got banded around the same time. I guess I am just paranoid that I have done something wrong. Thanks for any help!!!!

Hi Holly11

..... first post, very nervous, have no idea what I am doing lol

I am the same as you. I am 5 days post op. I seem to be able to drink sugar free cordial, Soup and Protein shakes all day without feeling full. I am nervous about stretching the pouch. Think I am a little paranoid aswell. Been looking on here for a few days to find if there is a limit to how much liquid I should be drinking.

Hope someone can help us and hope I can find this post again hehe

I just got my band on Wednesday, so I do know what you mean. I think we're not feeling full from it because it just slides right through the band. I think we'll start feeling it once we're eating actual food rather than the liquids. (Believe, it's 100 here and I've gone through a LOT more than 64oz of Water today!!!)

I could drink and eat anything and not get full on bit until I had my 3rd fill. I was very nervous as to why I could guzzle my drink and eat what ever but once that 3rd fill was put into my band it all changed and I am so happy !

Just be careful...I guess I got overconfidant today in how good I was feeling and drank my first Protein shake of the day fairly fast. I didn't gulp but I probably finished a decent size shake (10 oz.?) in 10 minutes.

Then around noon after a little warm Soup and I went to drink some cold crystal light - let me tell you, that did not feel good at all. As soon as the cold liquid hit near my diaphragm area it was pain and pressure. I layed off the cold liquid and have just had a small amount of warm/lukewarm liquid since then. Just about 20 minutes ago I was thirsty and tried some cold Water (very tiny sips) and it seems to be doing okay, but I'm definitely going to slow it down from here on out and maybe switch back to clear Protein drinks for a few days. Best of luck to everyone!!! I guess it is definitely a learning process :thumbdown:

Just remember, liquids won't stretch your pouch as they go right through... that is why after you heal, you aren't supposed to really consume many if any liquid calories.... carbonation and too much food is what streches your pouch... don't panic. Also, it may take several fills to feel the restriction you need to start really progressing.... I think what you are going through is normal... great for you on this step in your life! I will be banded on May 27th, the day before my 37th birthday!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Everyone is different, depends on how well/quickly your stomach settles after the op - remember, liquids go right past the band, so you shouldn't expect them to make you feel full.

Thank you everyone for your post. I guess I will have to ride this train and do the best I can. I think I just want this to work so bad that every little thing freaks me out. I know I will do fine......esp. with ya'll by my side!!!!!

Holly, I think most people are very paranoid, senstive to every little thing - I sure was - I was suddenly aware of every freckle on my tummy I didn't know was there before, every noise my body made (and trust me, there were plenty of noises the first couple of weeks

:->). Everything will settle down just fine in no time, it will all feel very normal. Six weeks post op, I actually forget the band is there sometimes.