Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! I think I've stretched my pouch

hey guys..

I am getting discouraged before I start....and dont tell me that I need to work on a diet.. etc.. I have been doing that for years .. that is why I was going to try to lap banding..

but now I am beginning to have second thoughts..

Irene:wub:

Irene, I don't want to sound rude, but I have to say that based on what you said, you aren't ready for a band! :leaving: You need to do more research!!! The band is a tool. The idea behind it is that if you eat three meals per day, between 800 and 1000 calories total, the band would help you feel full and you'd be less inclined to eat between meals. If the band make us thin and healthy, then the whole damn country - fat and thin alike - would have a band.

This is work! You have to count your calories and figure out what you're going to eat and drink. You have to make healthy choices. It's not dieting - it's learning to eat properly. If you've been dieting your whole life then you know that for example, the right portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards - but if you're like most of us, before banding, you ate the whole damn chicken, not just a little thing that's three or four bites! You must change your thinking in order to succeed. If not, then even with the band you will ultimately fail and could even end up with severe medical problems!

Please, do more research and a lot of soul searching and be sure you're doing this for the right reasons.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Barbara

soldouthippie--you sound so much like I did in the beginning. Even with my complication, I am still convinced it's all going to be worth it. Look through these threads and count those who are not happy they did it. It made me crazy when people said, "you have to work it"--"it's just a tool"--blah bla blah--In my humble opinion, our issue is not how to loose weight--we've all done that a milion times. Our issue is keeping it off. We need to decrease (in my case significantly) how much I can put into my mouth. I want to be able to eat like a normal person and I truly believe here in lies the magic of the band. I can now eat more than any of my friends and I think that if they eat the way they do, in the portions they eat and they stay normal sized--that's my dreams come true!!! hang in there--I am going to get mine fixed--enough said?????

Thanks, I will try and up my Protein. I have increased my solid Proteins and find it does give me restriction.

Also, I find that the most helpful thing about staying on top and losing with the band is to stay on sites like this and hear from others and get support. Support, Support, Support. Ms. Shrinko de mayo - support does not mean condemning and shaking your finger at everyone. Until you are in the shoes and walking the walk I will thank you to stay off my back about the struggle I'm having. Some of us have a self-destruct switch and if honey, you can tell me where it is, I will gladly turn it off and take ALL your advise.

The world does not give us obese people much kindness and understanding so that is why we should strive to dish it out here for one another.

The man at the meeting is probably just trying to vent the frustration he is feeling. Instead of walking away we should lift him up and give him encouragement.

here here fellow queen--I hope you get the jump you need from the 5 day thing...and you are really right when you remind that there are a thousand reasons to be frustrated at this process. Maybe Shrinko's man was venting in at a place he thought was safe.

This is the tough part. I know the band is just a tool. I've having trouble using my tool right now. I'm eating badly, but when I do, I'm not hungry for good foods!

So my restriction is working, I'm not.

I'm going to the 5 day pouch website right now, and hopefully get back on track.

Thank you all.

Mergatroy,

I am starting tomorrow. I will be posting how it goes daily. I hope you will do the same. It's encouraging to have someone out there working the same program. I am stocked up on Soups and Protein Shakes to get started. Yippee!:leaving: