Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been declined by insurance because of psycological reasons?

So I had my psychological evaluation today and a bunch of stuff I wasn't thinking was going to come up, come up. It was strongly suggested to me to start going to therapy. Granted I understand that unresolved issues can play a part in emotional eating, I just wasn't thinking that some of this stuff was going to come up. I am completely open to going to therapy ( I have gone off and on since I was in high school) but has anyone been denied surgery because of the psych appt? Or is it really more to just see if you are really going to work with the band and not against it? I guess I'm just a little nervous and I kinda feel like a nut now that I was strongly urged to see a therapist.....no matter what there is still a stigma against help, as ridiculous as that is.....Thanks:blushing:

My surgery approval was postponed for two month while I got counseling. I was very annoyed! It was not the insurance that didn't approve though- it was the doctor. I was supposed to get 3 months of counseling, but the counseling recommended that I was just fine and could go through with the surgery. The two months in retrospect went by like wildfire.

Angel P-

It may be annoying or embarrassing to have to get more counseling, but you'll be a stronger person for it, and your banding should go much more smoothly for it! I would be happy to have a counselor that cares enough to want you to be as healthy as you can be rather than just "sending you down the assembly line" to get a band as fast as you can. Good luck!

Thanks for the answers, and I do agree that it is great that the Dr. suggested more counseling....I guess it was just a hard day and I wasnt expecting those things to come up!

The Physc Evaluation Is Bullshit And A Waste Of Money I Equait It To The Eye Exam At The Dmv

The Physc Evaluation Is Bullshit And A Waste Of Money I Equait It To The Eye Exam At The Dmv

I'm with you Big T! I have no issue with meeting with a Psychologist, but the exam is rediculous...I had one for work and they ask you the same question 50 times thinking they will trick you into saying that you are a closet ax murderer...go figure:tt2:

hey moe i agree,my evaluation consited of ,do you feel suicidal,well gee no,,why do you feel you are obese,,cause i aint never saw a large pizza i was not willing to eat and i mean the whole thing,,lol,then he gave me a test i guess you could call it,,that had ridiculas questines,,20 minutes later he said i was a good canadate for surgery,,like wow,,that part of this process is very stupid,,i know this is for insurance and legal issues,but good lord this guy out weighed me by 100lbs,,dude you work for the the doc get it done yourself,

sorry to be so synical,but most of us no why we want this done,so we can get in a roller coaster with our kids,buy a pair of levis 33x34 off the rack,not have to go to the big man dept,,and most of all watch, ourselve get passed up for promotions,,that we deserve,and we all no why,well some of you guys prob work for companys that might not care,,because they judge you on job perforformance,,but i on the other hand work for the government,and trust me they pretty much exempt themselves,,from any retribution,,believe me i tried,,now i just keep my mouth shut,,and take a wait and see attitude,,again let me apologize for my rant,,but this is the way i feel right now,,:thumbdown:

I had to take a 180 question computer test before meeting with the counselor. I haven't heard it mentioned. It came out that I was fine but ask too many questions! LOL

I work for the Gov't Big T and I feel your pain!:wink_smile: I know they mean well, but usually people that are getting this surgery have been depressed at one point in their lives. Captain Obvious strikes again:biggrin: This could be it's own thread:rolleyes2:

I think it's really to evaluate people with potential or histories of eating disorders--this is the type of thing that could be very "triggering" for someone who has been prone to anorexia or just recovered from it. Also, people with severe food addictions may not be good candidates for this, as they may do anything to "eat around" the band.

Also, assessing someone's mental state is some pretty serious business. I have several family members who have various levels of mental illnesses (some life threateningly serious), but you can't tell unless you ask or spend some time assessing the person. One in particular I think could really benefit from WLS but I don't think that she should get it because while she's not necessarily mentally ill....she's just not what I'd call mentally "fit" to really, honestly embrace change and follow instructions and do the work required. I really think she'd just get it done, and sit back and wait for it to work and when it doesn't, it would be everyone's fault but her own. She'd be a failure waiting to happen at this point in her life. This kind of thing could be picked up in a psych exam.

For most of us, it IS like the eye exam at the DMV--but most of us have good vision or the proper prescription---but not everyone does.

I think it's really to evaluate people with potential or histories of eating disorders--this is the type of thing that could be very "triggering" for someone who has been prone to anorexia or just recovered from it. Also, people with severe food addictions may not be good candidates for this, as they may do anything to "eat around" the band.

Also, assessing someone's mental state is some pretty serious business. I have several family members who have various levels of mental illnesses (some life threateningly serious), but you can't tell unless you ask or spend some time assessing the person. One in particular I think could really benefit from WLS but I don't think that she should get it because while she's not necessarily mentally ill....she's just not what I'd call mentally "fit" to really, honestly embrace change and follow instructions and do the work required. I really think she'd just get it done, and sit back and wait for it to work and when it doesn't, it would be everyone's fault but her own. She'd be a failure waiting to happen at this point in her life. This kind of thing could be picked up in a psych exam.

For most of us, it IS like the eye exam at the DMV--but most of us have good vision or the proper prescription---but not everyone does.

I completely agree PennyLane! I just wish the 1 hour in person and the 2 hours with a paper and pencil could be reversed. IMHO it's easier to lie on paper than it is in person. I know they've got to find the best way that will work with everyone, but it really seems like herding cattle this way. I don't envy the doctors that have to figure it out in one hour.

It's not always picked up though. I know someone with some pretty serious issues, and who blames everyone else in life for making her life miserable. We're not the cause of her problems, but we're who she blames.

Anyway, she had surgery, and wasn't compliant at first, but did manage to lose 122 pounds finally. Unfortunately, the weight loss has not made her life perfect, and she's still blaming everyone else for making her miserable. Heck, she thinks people that have cut off contact with her are still making her miserable.

It's not always picked up though. I know someone with some pretty serious issues, and who blames everyone else in life for making her life miserable. We're not the cause of her problems, but we're who she blames.

Anyway, she had surgery, and wasn't compliant at first, but did manage to lose 122 pounds finally. Unfortunately, the weight loss has not made her life perfect, and she's still blaming everyone else for making her miserable. Heck, she thinks people that have cut off contact with her are still making her miserable.

Yeah, I know that exact personality type/mental issue or whatever it is. It's quite frustrating and I'm sure they could easily mislead whoever does the evaluation (I'm almost positive the person I'm talking about could), but it's still important to try to identify those who aren't good candidates. Also, I wonder if you say that you're in therapy or on any sort of meds if they would ask for a letter from your psychiatrist? That would be really very helpful in many cases, I think.