Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need the best Advice

I am only 6 days from being banded and need a good piece of advice from all of you. How do you keep from getting so nervous. I'm having trouble sleeping. I have enjoyed all your posts on this site but would love to hear some more. Thanks!!!

Hi Sue! Wow, I know it's a tough time right before surgery! What I did was to try to take the nervousness and turn it into getting ready for the time I'd be "under the weather". I got caught up on laundry, stocked the pantry, made some meals to freeze for the family, did some gardening (I live in Texas) oh, and worked 50+ hour weeks. Thinking ahead, I went out to Half Price books and bought a bunch of novels just in case I got bored while out from work. I also started sampling Protein drinks to see what I would like when I was to that stage. At the same time, I went to Sam's Club and stocked up on chicken broth, pudding, apple sauce, juices, flavored waters and whatever else I could find that was in the liquid stage.

It's a tense time but if you try to keep your eye on the "goal" of a new you and you have confidence in your surgeon that should help take some of the anxiety away. Keep thinking positive, be excited not nervous and continue getting involved with people here on the board. They are a fantastic group of people and you'll find an answer to almost everything here! Related to the band or not!

I congratulate you on your surgery and make sure you keep in touch!

Take care! Laura

The feelings you have are all normal. I remember those few days and sleepless nights before surgery and it is a tough time. Hang in there this is a life changing decision and you have every right to be nervous and excited all at the same time. Just tell your self Things will be okay and you will be in band land before you know it!!! This is just the begining of a whole new chapter in life for you and starting this journey is a wonderful thing. you will gain so much health from this and feel so much better just keep reminding your self of all the things you will get to do with all the new found energy once the weight is gone. Good positive thoughts will help you through this rough time and on to a better you.Good luck with your upcoming surgery and I hope you are able to sleep well tonight!!!

When Kathy, The Best Me, got jidders, she posted. BOY DID SHE POST!! j/k girl, i luv ya! But I think it really helped her get all the nerves out. so post post post.

I was really nervous too. It was my first surgery in 20+ years, and the only one I had advance notice of. So yep, it's nervewracking indeed. I took my family and went on a weekend trip to Cape Cod, just so I'd be occupied. The next two days I just took a melatonin at night and concentrated on work during the day.

It will be here before you know it, and then it will be over! You're almost there!! :D :D :D

Thanks to all of you that have given me encouragment. It helps so much to hear positive things from people. I know the end results will be great but waiting for them is crazy!!

I don't know if it is the best advice for you, but I took valium when I needed it. For me, that was the best advice. Lately when I get really stressed, my asthma get worse, and when my asthma gets worse, that means hospital time. So... valium is the best advice for me.

I also posted like crazy and tried to concentrate on my school work.

Good luck, and post like crazy if you need to! (hugs)

I haven't got the surgery yet either but within the next month I am I too have been stocking up on post diet food or liquids and visiting this site often I am too very nervous but i'm hopeful everything will go well by the way how long are you taking off work

Flower, I'm self employed so that helps but i'm hoping to go into the office some on Monday. That will be 4 days post op. I'm also wondering how to get the little gragh put on my signature page. I went to ticketfactory and made one up and copied it to my email but it always says that it is too large to put on my site. Any help with this? I'm not too computer smart!!!! I think it's mostly my age. I guess I could ask my 3 year old grandson.

Ha Ha

Guest bandy 1

I had the surgery four weeks ago and my friend just had it yesterday. Really, we both had minimal pain. In fact, I didn't need any pain med. The surgery only takes c. 30 mn. and you're in the recovery room in 45mn. to an hour. Just feel your feelings but focus on what has brought you to this point, what health rewards will be yours,...and just know that you have all of us thinking of you and cheering for you. Be not afraid!

I think everyone gets a tad worried pre-op. I really liked my surgeon and her team and just trusted that they would take good care of me...I also prepared before hand by blending up Soups and spooning them into ice cube trays...1 cube was dinner....it was sooo easy. Also stocked up on liquids. Popsicles were great, make your own with proein shake for extra protein....Good Luck.

My surgery was a breeze!!!!!

Nancy

Strat looking through old photos of yourself & pull out the ones where you were more happy with your weight. Tape them on the frig has a reminder of what your goal is. Start making plans for what you will do for yourself when you reach your 1/2 mark or you 2/3's mark & your gaol. Give yourself something to look forward too besides being skinny & healthier.

I am planning a trip to see an olf friend when I lose 60 pds. Well really 70 pds but I don't think I can wait that long. I also plan to give myself some new cool clothes from CAlif or New York when I hit my goal. Concentrate on these things & dream about stuff & you'll be on your way in no time.

Being nervous can even be fun if you think about all the cool things instead of the not so cool things;0) Good Luck -you'll do great!