Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band surgery with hernia in abdomen

I just had a consult with the Dr who will do my surgery. He told me right away that I have a hernia at a large scar from a old gall bladder surgery. He said the surgery can be done but it will be more difficult. After I lose weight I will need more surgery. I was so shocked( I thought it was just fat) that I didn't ask this question. Will filling my stomach with gas for the operation cause more damage to the hernia? I've been reading a lot of post but haven't came across this. He said he couldn't do both at the same time. :)

Hi NormaJean,

You should check with the doctor about that question. One would think they would do the hernia surgery first if it would be made worse by the lapband procedure.

Joann

I was banded 4/11 I have multiple hernias. One of the quite large in the upper abdomen. Some docs don't do both kinds of surgery and don't team with other surgeons to do both procedures at once. The gas will not do any futher damage and losing the wieht wil make the hernia repair much easier. I have to have mine done but I need to lose at least 100#'s first because that is part of what caused part of the proble to begin with. I'm hoping they will be able to do mine ant the same time I have PS but haven't researched that possibility.

Good Luck to you.

my hernia was discovered during the lap band surgery and fixed before they put the band in. I had no idea I had a hernia, and just thought the heartburn and reflux was from the weight.

Hi Normajean. This is Sue and I have a huge hernia on my right side. I had 2 surgerys for hernias after colon surgery 3 years ago. Guess we get them because we are overweight & they keep coming back. My doc said he wanted to wait until I lost about 50# before he did the hernia so it would not come back. I wear a band every day to hold it in so I will not have a problem. My husband calls it my alien in my tummy. Thought it was getting bigger, but my other side was getting smaller because of the weight loss. Wanted to get them both done at the same time (lap band & hernia), but the doc talked me out of it and it made sense to wait for a weight loss. Keep me posted and I will do the same. Sue

NormaJean, I had my band Sept 17,, 4 weeks ago. I too had a hernia in the center, right under my breasts. My doc removed my hernia and did the lapband at the same time. He told me, up-front, that I would have more problems with the hernia repair than with the lapband, but recommended that they both be done at one time. I'm glad he did that. I am still a little sore, but at least I have both surgeries behind me, and am well on the road to recovery... Thank Heavens for new

research. Pati :wink2:

I just had a consult with the Dr who will do my surgery. He told me right away that I have a hernia at a large scar from a old gall bladder surgery. He said the surgery can be done but it will be more difficult. After I lose weight I will need more surgery. I was so shocked( I thought it was just fat) that I didn't ask this question. Will filling my stomach with gas for the operation cause more damage to the hernia? I've been reading a lot of post but haven't came across this. He said he couldn't do both at the same time. :eek:

Hi normajean,

Haven't been on this thread before. Your question caught my eye straight away. Yes, it can be repaired at the same time, athough instead of having keyhole surgery for the lapband, you are opened up. I have had several abdominal hernia operations over the past 3 years and the last was 9th June '8 when I was rebanded. Unfortunately It's just been confirmed that I have another one. Your recovery will be slower than with keyhole though.

Best wishes.

my hernia was discovered during the lap band surgery and fixed before they put the band in. I had no idea I had a hernia, and just thought the heartburn and reflux was from the weight.

Hi Sharon160,

I've had, including this new one, 5 abdominal hernias. The last two were repaired during my rebanding in June. I've read every now and again on another thread about people having their reflux problems fixed by having their hernias repaired. My reflux has been awful since the last op. I'm finding it hard to understand how a hernia would cause the heatburn and reflux. I know it's the intestine breaking through the abdominal wall that causes a hernia and if it goes out and back in again it's sort of ok but if it gets stuck, then that's bad news. That's what I was told at my Cat Scan on Friday. I'd like to find out how it causes the rest of the problems. I see my surgeon on Thursday.

Best wishes.

Hi everyone,

It sounds as if you are talking about sliding hiatus hernias. I had a small one (diagnosed years ago) but when I had my band done in Feb 08, had requested that the surgeon repair it. He did and informed me later that it had been very large. He did everything through the laparoscopic surgery or keyhole method.

NormaJean, I hope you have solved the Hernia/LapBand surgery delema. I had mine done at the same time. So far, so good. Only problem I have is a colorful abdomen, which doesn't matter, I don't go around with that hanging out anyway. You should do fine. Slow healing, but good to have them both out of the way at the same time

By the way Everyone... please note that I do have my ticker now... I finally figured it out and got it working... hoorah!! I don't feel like quite the dummy now..

Hi Sharon160,

I've had, including this new one, 5 abdominal hernias. The last two were repaired during my rebanding in June. I've read every now and again on another thread about people having their reflux problems fixed by having their hernias repaired. My reflux has been awful since the last op. I'm finding it hard to understand how a hernia would cause the heatburn and reflux. I know it's the intestine breaking through the abdominal wall that causes a hernia and if it goes out and back in again it's sort of ok but if it gets stuck, then that's bad news. That's what I was told at my Cat Scan on Friday. I'd like to find out how it causes the rest of the problems. I see my surgeon on Thursday.

Best wishes.

Hi Everyone,

Not long out of hospital again for the hernia repair. Had to be opened up again but during my stay a MRSA bug (bad one) infected the wound and I had to be isolated. The hospital were afraid it would get into my blood stream and turn me septic. I was a very, very sick girl. My veins collapsed so they couldn't put anymore canullas in...... thank goodnes, they hurt like hell. I'm out now after two weeks bur still have a drain in my abdomen and have a nurse come everyday for the dressing. Feeling very weak but trying to get on top.

I saw my surgeon today and asked if there were any other things I could do to prevent more hernias apart from what I'd been told = no lifting, no stretching, resting etc.

He very seriously, learned across his desk and looked me in the eye and said "Think good thoughts, go to church and be kind to your mother!" Then laughed and said "Anything that hurts, don't do!" Cheeky bugger. He is not going to refill the band for another 2 months until the wound has a chance to heal.

Best wishes. :)

My brother in law had a pace maker installed surgically in December. He too contacted the staph infection MRSA and was in intensive care for over 2 weeks. It's very, very serious and contagious. There was a quartined sign on his door and they brought my sister's meals to the room along with his ( to keep her out of the dining room, I'm sure.) Some do not recover. Thank God that you are mending and on the road to perfect health!

Hi Steelmagnolia,

I haven't posted anywhere for a long time. I ended up having to have my 2nd lapband removed because of complications and a huge 6th abdominal hernia repaired at the same time. I had a new surgeon as I'd lost faith in my other one. I came close to losing my life during that operation as my body was in such a bad state. Not good memories. Having caught the MRSA bug during a previous hospital stay, i now have to have the tests before every hospital stay. I was even sent home after 3 days of my big op in March and had nurse visits at home because the hospital didn't want to risk the bug there, even though I'd tested negative. Apparently once a person has caught it, they become carriers. GREAT!!!

I'm going in for a shoulder operation next week and have to go through the tests again. Very humiliating.

I hope your brother is well now.

Best wishes, Katydid.