Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's a reasonable cost for a Psych Eval?

My insurance won't pay for the Psych Evaluation and I'm trying to find out what a reasonable cost is. The clinic I'm using recommended a Psycologist and after I made the appointment found out it wasn't a covered expense. The cost is $1,200.00 from her. I don't know if they inflate the price when Insurance pays for it or if they are all this high. Does anyone know if there are different levels of evaluation for different prices. I certainly don't think I need the full blown, on the couch treatment.

Hi Tas,

I just had my psych eval. on Tues. and I paid $220. She gave me a paper to try and file with my insurance. My dr. had a list of psych. he recommended and his office worked with. I'm not sure if they discounted the rates then or what, but I think most on his list were about that price. Yikes $1200 seems high. I was there about an hour, no couch. :smile:

My psych eval was $300. The first doctor I called wanted to charge $400. Your surgeon tells the psych what they are looking for and will ask you questions and do testing based upon those guidelines. I would look for a different psych as that price seems extremely inflated.

wow!! 1200 for an eval is alot. i did mine two weeks ago and it was $150. my doctor and the therapist work together. so the same day i saw the doctor for follow up i also saw the therapist in the same office. i would ask your doctor for a list of therapists. the eval is not that serious. mine took about 15mins longs. $1200 is alot of money unless you are required to go for a couple of sessions. is that price just for one visit?

I called a psych on the list that my doctor gave me, and the psychologist said it would be $400. That person wasn't covered by my insurance, so I called BC/BS for a referral, and ended up only paying $20.

My psych eval was billed to bc and they paid part of it and the rest went toward my deductible. The big chunk was to get the actual report I think total was under 250.00. It was still quite a bit in my eyes, but 1200 sounds way high. Tamara

Mine was $400 and my insurance paid for a good portion of it. $1200 is way too much. It sounds like a nice scam for the participating shrink. Ya, let's take advantage of the the fat guy/gal! Perhaps you can find a suitable substitute. Give it a try. SS

$175 for my psych eval. I am insured but hadn't met my deductible yet so I had to pay out of pocket. No problemo. IMHO, 1200 sounds REALLY excessive.

Hey! $1200 is ridiculous. On average I've seen people pay between $150 and $250 for nonparticipating providers. It may be a little different depending on the area but not a $1000 difference. Keep searching. And good luck.

What credentials did the person have? If it was a psychiatrist, maybe the fee is not out of line, but a psychiatrist level is not necessary - a psychologist or a licensed professional counselor are appropriate for the type of evaluation we need (unless, of course, the patient has a history of mental illness, etc).....the fee should not be over $300-400 IMO....depends on where you live.

$1200 is way too much. A social worker did mine for $95. Look in the yellow pages for one, and you will probably find one to do it for you very cheap. Good luck.

Someone mentioned that they used a social worker. Just a word of advice...make sure you check the requirements that your surgeon needs the professional to have. When I tried to use someone other than who was listed on the list my doctor gave me, he said they had to meet certain guidelines or else it wouldn't count. I don't know if this was his requirement or what insurance companies required.

Thanks, I checked my paperwork from the Doctor and it said that it couldn't be done by a social worker.