Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you get your first fill?

Hey everyone, I am so bad at this whole reaching out and talking to strangers thing, I have been secretly peering into everyone else's questions and hiding even though I have so many questions myself, so this is serious stepping out for me. I was banded on the 24th of last month, not even 3 weeks ago, I lost 19 pounds in two weeks, (I was sick with a stomach bug after surgery) and now feel like I could eat my arm I am so hungry. I made an appointment for a fill but weighed 5 pounds heavier when I weighed myself last night :cursing: argh. Did anyone else experience this? I feel like I have no restriction what so ever and can't stop thinking about food, I actually went to sleep last night dreaming of eating ho ho's, something I haven't had or thought of having in about 24 years. Ugh. Any thoughts you guys can throw my way will help!

Don't worry about weightloss for the first few weeks after surgery. Enjoy this time and eat.

Restriction will come, just give it a chance.

If you allow the band to do what you are paying it to do...you'll lose the weight.

And to answer your question, 6 weeks...that's when Inamed recommends the first adjustment; however, every doc is different.

Thanks Grace, nobody told me that. Everyone in my family is calling me on a regular basis asking how much I have lost, I haven't had the heart to tell them I put on 5 pounds! Ugh. So after your first fill did you notice a difference? I see some people on here that have never had fills...

I was banded on the 15th of April and have no hunger at all. My doctor has me drinking 2 half servings of Protein a day (one between breatfast and lunch and other between lunch and dinner). That seems to really help. Next week will be 4 weeks and I will get my first fill and cut out the Protein.< /p>

I have found that Isopure by GNC is perfect for me. It's $4.69 a bottle but one bottle last 2 days so it comes out to about $1.17 per snack.< /p>

--Bridget

Great, thanks for the tip....I wonder why my doctor didn't suggest any of this. I have heard so many good things about where I got it done, (NWWLS) but am starting to wonder if I missed a memo. So what kinds of foods are you eating for meals?

I lost 12 pounds in a week and a half post op. I am now almost 3 weeks banded. I started mushy and totally chewed regular foods. I have not lost anything, but gained 2 back. That time of the month may have something to do with that gain, especially since I am not eating Soup and broth daily like I was the first 2 weeks. I am going to start walking more now that the weather is getting nicer. I was hoping the weight would keep falling like that but I didn't have that high of a BMI when I started. I also need to up my Protein, which I have been reading a lot about. Also I am a bad Water drinker, need to increase that. I do notice now that even though I have nothing in my band til my first fill, I can only eat a quarter of what I used to. Now that is amazing in itself. Be patient. It can take many fills, especially in the newer bands to find that perfect but not unhealthy restriction. Good Luck.

i was banded on april 21st and technically you're not restricted until you have your first fill. i'm lucky and my doc does the first fill at 30 days under flouro so my first fill is scheduled for may 19th!! i'm nervous AND excited.

since you're not restricted, it's absolutely normal to feel hungry! i actually gave in to temptation one time and PB'd... it wasn't pretty... so don't give in to the ho-ho's!!

i emailed my dietician and asked what to do to stop the hunger and her only advice was willpower and Protein. i found that the slimfast optima creamy milk chocolate shakes are awesome... especially when stuck in the freezer for an hour or so!! also try to eat ever 2-3 hours... small meals.

here is what i've been "eating":

breakfast: slimfast

snack: sugar-free pudding

lunch: small wrap with 1/4 cup cheese (melted)

snack: slimfast

dinner: 2 scrambled eggs

snack: sugar-free Jello w/sugar free whipped topping

supposedly this is what's called "Bandster Hell" because we're banded but not restricted and HUNGRY!

See, I knew if I would just get on here I would know I wasn't alone. I thought we were supposed to feel restricted right off the bat. I just grabbed some fat free cottage cheese, hopefully that will help, but it sounds like I need to go invest in some Protein Shakes stat before I break!!!

I was banded 2w ago and don't have much of a restriction at all. I'm scheduled for my first fill on 5/21. I personally kind of can't wait. On one hand, I'm looking forward to not feeling hungry. On the other, I'm not looking forward to actually having trouble eating things (for lunch today, I was able to eat 3oz of turkey, with a piece of muenster cheese on an English muffin).

My surgeon is aware that I don't really have any restriction and isn't surprised. He also knows that I've been losing weight be being careful what I eat (mostly Protein, staying to a really low calorie limit, etc.). I've been pretty consistent about staying below 1000 calories/day, but since I've been sticking to high protein/kinda low carb, I've not been hungry (for the most part).

I've not been doing the Protein shake thing mostly, well, because I'm sick of them. I've been trying to be good about keeping Protein Bars with me in the car because I've noticed that is when I tend to get myself in trouble. I can't eat whole nuts (I've never been able to digest them, and I definitely can't do them only 2w out from surgery), so it's been a bit of a challenge to find ones that not only taste good, but don't have their Protein from nuts. So far, I've found a few that are actually pretty tasty. I had a chocolate Clif Builder one yesterday that I actually was unable to finish b/c I was full! And I found it at Target, so I didn't even have to go to a GNC, etc. to find it.

So, there is hope. I think it really comes from planning in advance (I always have my SIGG bottle a/k/a trough of Crystal Lite iced tea with me), try and have some sort of snack, etc. so that I can fall back on something to eat. I've also found that I can get some turkey to eat from just about anywhere. Yesterday, I had to meet my accountant for lunch and we ended up at a greek place. I had chicken gyro without the lettuce/tomato/onion. So it was basically the really super-thinly sliced chicken (I was able to eat it no problem!), on a pita (which has protein!) with tzatziki (nom nom nom!). I ate about 1/3-1/2 of the sandwich and brought the rest home for dinner. That was the majority of my food for the day (I had Cheerios with 2% milk before leaving the house, and had the ever-present Crystal Lite in the car with that part of the Clif Bar on the ride there). I was pretty stuffed for the day.

Have you tried stuff like chicken salad made with Fage 2% yogurt and a dab of mayo? That Fage stuff really tastes pretty damn close to sour cream and is almost exclusively protein. Try mixing two of the small containers with a pack of Knorr veggie Soup mix. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour and then you have a rockin' spread for small pieces of pita. I also spread it on a piece of turkey and then roll it up. It's unbelievably good.

Be brave, we're all here with you!

hugs

-m

I had my first fill today! I had my surgery 3/25 and suddenly felt like I was capable of eating much more and felt hungry more than I thought I should. I had my regular 2 wk appt today and told the doctor, thinking that he'd have me make an appt and instead he did it right there and then. Silly me, I had read a book and other things that made me think they had you go to the hospital for a fill so they could see the port through an xray, so I'd have time to prepare myself, but he just felt around and away he went. It hurt for a sec, I'm on liquids today and soft food tomorrow and back to regular stuff Friday. I did ask him "how much of a fill" did I have (I don't know if numbers matter but everyone seems to talk about how many cc's) and he didn't really answer the question. Its not that he ignored it, I think we just moved on, so I don't know if I will feel any different but he told me to call on Monday if I didn't and they would adjust it again, or to call RIGHT away if I felt at all uncomfortable. Though I want to lose it all now, he always asks "how long ago were you at a weight you liked?" My answer is about 10 years, so he tells me...if it took you 10 years to get here, it is going to take a reasonable and healthy time frame to get rid of it.

Sweetie, that's why the first 6 weeks is called Bandster Hell.....this is the period of time that your surgery is healing, the stitches are setting into your stomach. You must not break any of the rules during this time (sounds like your dr. failed to give you the rules, though!).....no coffee, no carbonated drinks, liquids the first week or two, mushies the next couple of weeks, then eat very lightly.

During this healing period you have no restriction (some surgeons put a little saline in at surgery but most don't) so you are depending on your will power. At this point that little band in your tummy is similar to having a new Cadillac in the garage ....it's yours and it's wonderful, but you can't have the keys just yet......it's just sitting there. Frustrating, huh.

You can control your cravings by eliminating the white carbs (rice, potatoes, Pasta, white bread, corn) from your food intake...also sweets, of course. After a couple of weeks your body gets detoxed from carbs and the cravings go away to a great degree. I know....I didn't believe it either, but it does!!

Be sure you get in all the water/tea that you can.....ultimate goal is 64 oz a day but that's hard to do at first....just add a little every day. You need to find Protein supplements that you like....experiment with them, learn to love them...you need 60-80 grams a day and our little pouches won't hold that much if you eat only dense Proteins.

It may take several fills to get good restriction.....be patient and be strong and eat right....YOU CAN DO THIS! The band is a friend but it's not magic...you have to learn a whole new lifestyle.

Thank you for that info never heard is said like that. I was band in February lost 17 pounds first 6 weeks but gain 5 back dont know happen gonna try it your way thanks again

Dear Milf2B,

I just had my first fill last week. I too had little to no restriction and found myself wanting and eating more than I know I should.

Amazingly, once I had the fill, I once again had the "I am always full" feeling and my constant thoughts of food have diminished. Not totally gone away but easier to control knowing that if I eat the wrong things, I will probably get sick.

I waited unit 10 weeks for my first fill only because it took 3 weeks to get my appointment. My fill doctor was very good and made sure I did not get too much of a fill.

Prior to the fill, I had been level in my weight loss and once done I immediately dropped another 6 lbs.

Still the best thing I could have done!!

After your fill I think your visions of Ho Ho's may come back into a better perspective.

Good Luck,

Tman:smile2:

milf2b?

I felt for you while reading your question about your weeks in "banster hell". I remember before I had my first and even my second and third fills and how I was still hungry. I don't agree with the person who said to enjoy this time and eat.

My doctor was very specific about his post op instructions on eating. He puts everyone on a 4 week diet of only Clear Liquids like Soup broths, crystal light, anything clear without added sugar, plus 90 grams of Protein from shakes. That's after 10 days pre-op of the same diet. Then we go on 4 weeks of just pureed foods like yogurt, pureed Soups, anything you can drink through a large straw, in addition to 60 grams of Protein from shakes. After that we can start eating solids and still supplement with 60 grams of protein for the rest of our lives. Water is very important also, at least 64 oz. a day.

During the pureed stage and then forever on solids, we are told to only eat 1 oz. of food, three times daily, no more. This was very difficult because you won't have much, if any, restricition before your first fill. It is all about will power in the beginning and I remember being frusturated because if I was able to diet on will power alone, I wouldn't have needed this surgery in the first place. My doctor reminded me often that eating this way was important for the healing phase and to keep your band from slipping or having any complications after surgery. I was too scared to stray much from it since I had to pay out of pocket for my surgery.

Soooo, I would use your doctor, nurses, dieticians, etc. at NWWLS to your advantage. That's what they're there for and that's what you paid them for. Let them know if your having troubles sticking to their quidelines and keep your follow up appointments even if you are embarassed about gaining weight or not lossing much! It's very important! I was dredding my appointment for my 2nd fil because I had only lost 4 pounds in 4 weeks but I talked myself into going anyway and it made a big difference. My doctor was very reassuring and understanding and I felt a lot better afterwards.

Be honest with your family and friends about your weight loss or gains. That's what they are there for, hopefully, to support you. In the mean time, you definitely need to try out some Protein drinks and find one you like. I'm really shocked your doctor hasn't told you that. They fill you up and if you can find one you like, it can even be a treat for you. I love the "whey Gourmet Peanut Butter Chocolate". I order it from bariatriceating.com-great resource for many things. All of the flavors I have tried have been good but that is my favorite. Also make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz. or Water a day. Use Crystal Light if that helps you get it all down.

I got my first fill about 6 weeks after surgery and then another one every 4 weeks after that. It wasn't until I got to my 3rd and 4th fills that I really had good restricition. I'm scheduled to go back again but I don't know that I'll need another fill this time. Things are much easier now than they were at first so stick with it because it defenitely gets better. Sorry about the lengthy reply. I am just very passionate about this process and it's worked for me so far.

I was banded on 04/23/08 (15 days since surgery). I don't think I have totally followed the recommended post-op diet. I have been eating soft foods since about 10 days post-op. I am pretty much eating all foods accept junk food and fried foods. I have lost 11 lbs since my surgery date.

A few days post-op I had no appetite and I felt full all the time. I had to make myself eat something. Then about 7 days post-op I was really, really hungry. About the 10th day, I ate some eggs and I had clam chowder for lunch (I went back to work 5 days post-op). I tolerated the meals with no stomach ache and I never had any nausea/vomiting. So I felt it should be ok to just eat things of that consistency.

The only reason why I believe I am still loosing weight is because my portions are significantly smaller and I am eating healthier. I cannot eat a lot at a time (I get full really fast). Its been great because I've been eating what I want and just having a little makes me feel satisfied and full. What really gets me is that I actually want things that ae healthier. I have not called for my first fill appointment yet because I thought you can't get a fill until your weight loss has come to a halt. Is this true?

Can someone elaborate more about the fill procedure? Does it always hurt?

Resi

weight.png[/img]