Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Alone?????

Yes, I know, and that's fair enough. I'm sorry, I didnt realise what forum I was in as I tend to just click "new posts". But the point remains, 75lb ovrweight is still fat and its still a good idea to do someting about it.

I've been thinking about this thread and finally decided to say something. While there are many sad aspects of being fat that we all can relate to, there are some that come with being extremely large that lesser size people haven't faced yet. I haven't been "only" 75 lbs. overweight since high school. When I dieted down to 130 lbs. overweight, I felt so good, like I could live an almost normal life. At 240 lbs. overweight every day seemed to bring new indignities. For example, the weekend before surgery the wooden chair I was sitting on at scrapbooking collapsed into pieces, throwing me to the floor from which I could barely get up. I've had to ban myself from all sorts of activities (baseball park, concerts, theaters, flying) because I can't fit in the chairs--things I could do when I weighed "only" 300 lbs.

My NSV this morning was wiping my own ass, without using the long handled spoon I've had to employ for some time. Where else but the 200+ board can I say that and have people really understand. So, yeah, I can understand feeling that people with much less lose don't really get all our pain. I think this board should be a place where we can admit those feelings, however ungracious they may be.

tricia- yes yes, thank you.

It's not that other people don't have struggles, I recognize I didn't like my weight at 75 pounds overweight either, but at some weight limit- you kind of hit a new world.

I recognize, being as large as I was- there are stuggles someone heavier than me has that I don't understand! My uncle was heavier than me and he had to walk with crutches just to move his weight because his legs couldn't support him entirely. I'm lucky I got a chance to fix myself before that point... but I wouldn't dream of saying I understand how he felt. I didn't and if I'm true to the band, I never will. How grateful I am to not TRY to understand that. I'm glad I'm not in that category.

I've been thinking about this thread and finally decided to say something. While there are many sad aspects of being fat that we all can relate to, there are some that come with being extremely large that lesser size people haven't faced yet. I haven't been "only" 75 lbs. overweight since high school. When I dieted down to 130 lbs. overweight, I felt so good, like I could live an almost normal life. At 240 lbs. overweight every day seemed to bring new indignities. For example, the weekend before surgery the wooden chair I was sitting on at scrapbooking collapsed into pieces, throwing me to the floor from which I could barely get up. I've had to ban myself from all sorts of activities (baseball park, concerts, theaters, flying) because I can't fit in the chairs--things I could do when I weighed "only" 300 lbs.

My NSV this morning was wiping my own ass, without using the long handled spoon I've had to employ for some time. Where else but the 200+ board can I say that and have people really understand. So, yeah, I can understand feeling that people with much less lose don't really get all our pain. I think this board should be a place where we can admit those feelings, however ungracious they may be.

you are correct - and my apologies; i have never known what it's like to be 200+ lbs overweight & therefore can't comment. when i opened this thread, it was from the new home page of "new posts" - had no idea what forum it was apart of.

all the best in your weighloss journey~

I know this is totally mean but everytime I see someone that has like 75 pounds to lose..I think..why the heck did you have to have surgery to do this? And furthermore, why do you need to come on here and talk about your major problems? How do people even get surgery w/ that low of a bmi??? I don't get it..let me have it people..I know you will!

Nope your not alone. Although I can say I don't have the same views on those with only 75 lbs or so to lose. I wish I had considered WLS when I only had 75 to lose though. But after seeing what some family members went through.

I was stubborn and said I would NEVER do any kind of surgery just to lose weight. And I kept thinking that till about a year ago. I was able to get off 250 lbs (down to 400lbs) and keep that off for 4 years but then started creeping up again.

Now I realize how nieve I was to say never.

Now after finding out insurance will cover me if I can get my PCP to agree (which she wont) So I'm now seeking a new PCP. And with my insurance it takes 2 months to switch doctors :thumbup: Before they will start covering it. Put a screeching halt on getting the band for the moment. But I am fighting it :thumbup:

Being supersized has its own problems above and beyond just being overweight. And honestly I hate to see anyone else head towards that. Not if it can be prevented. And while yes I get a bit jealous wishing I only had 75 lbs to lose, I realize that I was the one who let it get so out of control and they are just trying to keep from getting there in the first place.

I must admit, as I read posts my eye automatically goes to peoples tickers. I have been known to think "Wow...she/he only needs to lose 78 pounds...what is she/he doing having surgery??"

Now I must admit... I wish I had had the surgery when I had had to lose less than 100 pounds!!!!! :cursing:

I am reading what everyone has written here, and I see their points. Will I still look at peoples tickers and wonder why they are having surgery...perhaps (hey...I can't change my complete mindset over night) :lol: But now I will also also think: smart, lucky person...making changes before they are 300+ like me.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice, I weighed about the same as you when I had my surgery. Seems the weight comes off slower. I have lost 20 pounds. (No pre-op diet required). Even though I am following the doc's instructions, exercising and drinking Water, my weightloss is soooo s l o w. How are you feeling? I love my band! Just wish I could lose a little faster.

I am also one of the thin ones getting the band. I have only 85 lbs to lose. I finally chose to do it because I am no longer able to do the things that are important to me. I had developed a chronic limp from a foot that wouldn't heal. I don't know why we all have different levels at which point we say enough. I say congrats to anyone who chooses to take a hard look at their life, dream of what they want, and seize the day. I wish all of you out there who have further to go than me the best of luck. I am rooting for you and I hope you root for me too!

KatW

I had 81 lb to lose. Sure, I could lose it without surgery. After all, I've done it three times before. But that's the point. I can't keep it off.

Also, my weight was headed up. I weighed 226 when I made my appointment for surgery. I had gained 35 lb in the past year and a half, after losing 65 pounds the old fashioned way. I couldn't stop the weight gain, even though it drove me to tears. Why should I have waited until I gained back the last 30 lb before doing something that has a chance to get me off this stupid roller coaster for good?

Now, when someone comes on here and says, "I want the band because I have 25 lb I can't lose" I tend to have the same reaction as the OP's. But maybe they know the same things about themselves as I knew about my weight history, so who's to say?

I have thought about this thread. Fat people don't like others judging them because of their size. Hmmm . . .

Live long and prosper.

Depending on their BMI and other stats, those 75 lbs could be significantly affecting their health. Don't forget how unique our chemistries really are. We all need a little help sometimes. :cursing:

I was looking at an episode of Big Medicine and this guy was not really overweight but he had high blood sugar which was called a comorbity, and if he got the lapband that would actually help to control his blood sugar so he could possiably get off of the medicine which he had been taking for about 20-years.. and it worked.. That was amazing by itself... but like a few others said when i was just 75lbs overweight if i would have taken conrol of it then i would be so much better now it wouldnt be funny.... I would have so much more of my life to enjoy... but Hey u gotta start somewhere.... It is a long and hard road, but if u are determined u can and will do it no matter what... Now I weigh 273 and i told a friend that i have about 85lbs or so left to loose and she said that I will look like a :drool:crack head:drool:... lol oh well at least my lips wont be white...lol.....:P