Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Unmotivated!! HELP!

Hi there everyone! Im 18 and I weigh 328 pounds. I know... it's awful. My mom and I were doing really good, we went to our appts where they meet u and take your pic and ur weight and all that. i hadn't had 6 months of documented "dieting" proof or whatever they ask of you, so my mom and i both started working at that.

well as always, i fell off the wagon and just haven't been motivated to get this process done yet.

my mom just got approved for her surgery yesterday and now im super jealous and wish i was as strong as her and that i would've stuck to it too...

could anyone give me motivation or your own personal sucess stories? did you have any problems like this? what'd you do?!

I NEED HELP! lol any would be appreciated!!!!!!

Kyrsten

Hi....I know what it feels like to lose all motivation and just "not care" anymore. Only when I say I don't care, I really do, I just don't want to put forth the effort and discipline. One thing that I learned is to just begin the process whether you are motivated or not. When success starts coming your way, motivation will come with it. I don't have a surgery date yet, but I finish all of the requirements next Thursday. Since my first consultation with the surgeon, I have put on 5 pounds, its almost as if I am having a last meal, then another, then another. I am starting to practice chewing very well though. Good luck to you! Once you set your mind on the solution, half the battle is over with.:lol:

Hello Kristen, I know it is hard to get the motivation back once you feel like you have failed. I'm sure everyone you has told you just to start the next day new. Well we all know how easy that is said, not easy to do. If you could only think of the big picture Kristen I think that may help you. Don't spend one more day of your life unhappy, you are worth more than that. I am 33 and have been overweight my whole life. I have tried and failed every diet know to man. I wish that this would have been available to me when I was 18 so that maybe my 20's would have been a lot more fun. I think you need to visualize how you will feel and look when you are at your goal weight....you should do this every day. Take one day at a time, don't get down on yourself, and ask for support. But just know that by doing just 6 months of something that seems so hard will make an entire lifetime a little easier. If you want someone to talk to one on one I would be happy to help you through this. I was just banded on April 30th and I am glad I didn't waste one more day to start living a happy, healthy life. Please use the support you will find here to help you get through this.

Take care Kristen and let me know how you are doing,

Danielle

Hi.

Go to a really great clothing store and know that in a year, you will be wearing those clothes. Think of what it will be like to get up every day and not hate yourself for failing the day before, and the day before that.

hi kristen be strong i know how it feels to be discourage i just went to my first app i have to do 6 months worst of doc. classes it,s seems so hard but hang in there we are with you all the way.sil

Hi, I have just joined LBT and am scheduled for my surgery May 13th. I had the same feelings you did during the "weight loss" phase -- how can you get motivated when you know that if you lose a good bit of weight, you will no longer be a candidate for lapband. If you still aren't feeling motivated, don't jump back into it right away. You won't be in the right frame of mind. Let your mom be your biggest motivator! Watch what happens to her and if that doesn't get you motivated, nothing will. Plus you can be your mom's biggest cheerleader!! Good luck and let us know what happens.

For the rest of the forum, please say a prayer for me as I prepare for this wonderful change in my life! Thanks

rohan317

Hi there everyone! Im 18 and I weigh 328 pounds. I know... it's awful. My mom and I were doing really good, we went to our appts where they meet u and take your pic and ur weight and all that. i hadn't had 6 months of documented "dieting" proof or whatever they ask of you, so my mom and i both started working at that.

well as always, i fell off the wagon and just haven't been motivated to get this process done yet.

my mom just got approved for her surgery yesterday and now im super jealous and wish i was as strong as her and that i would've stuck to it too...

could anyone give me motivation or your own personal sucess stories? did you have any problems like this? what'd you do?!

Kyrsten

Here is the thing hon, you have to want to do this...today is a new day, call the surgeons office and find out what you have to do to keep the process going. If you have your 6 months of dieting done you are almost there!!!!

Have you met with the physc yet? maybe that can be your next step. The Dr. i met with is super! I feel very good about my decision because I have had help along the way. I have had support. You can do this!!!

What requirements do you still have left to do???

Hi there everyone! I'm 18 and I weigh 328 pounds. I know... it's awful. My mom and I were doing really good, we went to our appts where they meet u and take your pic and ur weight and all that. i hadn't had 6 months of documented "dieting" proof or whatever they ask of you, so my mom and i both started working at that.

Kyrsten

Kyrsten

I am most likely old enough to be your grandma - I have a 17 yr old grandson. So here are a few words of wisdom for an old lady.

I was lucky and didn't have to do a 6 month diet before being approved for surgery - so I don't any personal experience on that part. That being said your pre-op diet is no diff than the band - this is a whole new learning experience - doesn't matter if you are pre-op or banded - you have to make healthy food choices. The diff is with the band, once you have restriction you have Portion Control - but you can eat around it.

My personal opinion is that the insurance company was to see if you will adhere to the new lifestyle before they spend the $$$ to have you banded. Even people who are banded don't always succeed - the band is not a guarantee that you will be successful - it's only a tool. Most of the work is up to you.

Only you can motivate you - but you can go look at the before and after pictures to see the number of people who have succeeded in getting to their goals. This may help motivate you. But you have to work on you and take one day at a time - today you may eat healthy - tomorrow you won't - but when you give up after that one bad meal - you are giving up on you. What you have to do is say "OK I screwed up - but no more - as of right now I forgive myself for that error - I will start right this second (not tomorrow but now) and move forward - I can do this. You are worth the work that it takes to develop new habits...

I wish you all the best - I know how hard the struggle is - but I can tell you that you will feel so much better about yourself once you make that commitment to you to get healthy.

Being thin isn't going to make all your problems disappear (this is why you need to to some soul searching on why you over eat) We have used food to soothe and comfort us - you have to find new ways of doing this.

It's a journey and I wish you the best while you travel this road to be banded.

I'm not going to sugar coat this.... don't let life pass you by! You are young and it is just beginning...... GET READY TO LIVE IT! Get off your arse and look forward to tomorrow cause YOU DESERVE IT!

Kyrsten

I know exactly how you feel. I just started my 6 month diet and when I found out I had to do it I was very sad that I had to wait so long. But in the long run you learn so much more and it makes everything in the end so much easier. I had my first appt for it today. All I can say is stick with it and keep trying I am 22 and 416 pounds I know it's hard and you want to hate yourself for failing but you gotta pick yourself right back up and try again. I had days when I cried and cried. Once you start the process and come on here and talk to people like I do it helps time go by faster. Just keep your head up it will get easier. And know that when you finish you can finally start to have a life. :lol: Good luck!