Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No fill at surgery?

I am attending my seminar tomorrow night, but I was reading the posts on here and got confused. It seems that during the surgery, they don't go ahead and "fill" your band. Am I reading this correctly? Why is that?

My Doc doesn't fill during surgery to allow for swelling. I got my first fill at about 4-5 weeks post op.

I have read on LBT that some Doc's do fill during surgery, so I think it's just Doctor's preference on whether they will fill you at surgery or not.

My doctor primed me with 3cc's. Then my first actual fill I got 2cc's.

I originally thought it was 4cc's, but he told me two weeks ago it was 3cc's. I think it might depend on how big your stomach is and which band they use. Since my doctor only uses the 10cc and 14cc AP bands, he primes it to fit you comfortably.

My understanding is that it is usually to allow you time to heal, swelling to go down, and what is right for you and what your needs may be at the time.

The same Dr. may put some fill in one patient at time of surgery but not another. It is all Dr. and patient specific.

A good question to ask at your meeting .

I found out at a group meeting that someone I know who has the same size band but a different surgeon had fill put in her band at time of surgery so we both asked our Dr's to be sure and she had fill and I didnt .

I went in thinking I wasn't suppose to have fill so when she told me she did I was surprised. I asked my Dr. about it. I was told no I didn't to have time to heal, and see how I did without fill .

Many people have started losing with no fill, just the band alone. I have met one woman who lost over 80 lbs in a year with no fills. My Dr. believes in slow and steady weight loss so he is very careful about his fills. And firmly instills that this is a tool.

Ask your Dr what his theory is and why, or what it will be for you, and let us know. I really just believe it is like the band itself, it is particular to you and your Dr's theory. Good luck

I think all doctors are different. My doc added 3cc to mine at the time of surgery.

Yep it seems to be different depending on the doctor just like some close the openings with staples some with stitches some with nothing and some make you liquid diet 2 weeks pre some a week some not at all. I think it is whatever your surgeon is used to more than anything.

Mine is a no fill for 6 weeks to allow for total healing, nothing to close the wounds, 2 week liquid diet kinda guy

I attended a pre-op meeting and was told by the surgeon that in many cases patients loose weight without an initial fill and some cases don't need a fill at all. He claims in some cases the band alone does the job. I would think it is wise for a surgeon to wait before an initial fill.

My doctor put 5 cc of Fluid in my 10 cc band at time of surgery. He likes to test it and make sure it's operational and no leaks before he closes up. then he took 4 cc back out after the test and left 1 cc in the band. So I didn't have much restriction, but I didn't have much hunger either. I lost 21 pounds the first four weeks. He wants you to heal before he tightens it up. I got my first fill at 6 weeks. 2nd fill at 3 1/2 months. I'm 5 1/2 months right now and going for my 3rd fill. So I'm 5 1/2 months out and have lost 50 pounds. I've done good so far and doc says I'm a model patient, and right where I should be. HA!!! If he only knew the whole truth....... I have trouble sticking to it just like most others. But I don't give up.