Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days since surgery and feel like crap

I sip Water, Decaf tea, Protein Drink, broth, lemonade, and have Jello during the day. And, I take a chewable Multi-Vitamin twice a day. The belching is big and constant and horrible! Anyone else have this problem? I am so weak and feeling so crummy that I don't want to get up and walk or do anything. Shouldn't I be feeling much better by now? Any suggestions?:confused2: It is discouraging.........

My hubby felt terrible for about 3 weeks, then all of a sudden he turned the corner. Try sugar free ice pops, they were his best friend during that time. Something about the cold. Also, are you drinking your Protein shakes?

You may want to visit the doctor to make sure that you don't have an infection somewhere.....

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I also can't sleep because I can't get into a comfortable position on the bed or couch. I can't be completely flat because the reflux/belching is really out of control then and I can't seem to get pillows in a good position for reclining - my back then hurts. I've thought about renting a hospital bed........would this be worth it? Man, I'm completely a mess!

Hello and I was one that had issues for awhile after. I had terrible pain not at my port site but at the spot they sew your flesh to your muscle so it wont herniate. I could not sleep in my bed for 2 weeks. Laying on the couch yes my back ached. It was weird because it was the same area that was hurting me in the front but in my back. After 2 weeks I went back to work. On the 3rd week I bent over at work not thinking and the stitches must have ripped out. It burnt for 3 days then all better.

For the belching. I still get it drinking Water and such. The Dr told me not to gulp the liquids. But it seems to still happen. Did they give you anything for nausea.

Also I know some of the new bands that are coming out have Fluid in them already and with all the swelling at this time in your belly ,maybe its to much for you. I would def call your Dr and let them know . Good luck with everything. It does get better. After the 3rd week I felt like myself again.

For the hospital bed,if this is the only way that you are going to get some rest I would say go for it.,Your body needs rest to recoup so I would def consider it.

I Was Banded April 30 So I'm 4 Days Out And I Feel So Much Better..i'm Reading Problems With Burping...i Just Wish I Could Burp It Would Feel Much Better...i Have Really Bad Bowel Movements...just Like Water...i Know To Much Info...i Am Weak A Little...but It Seems I Can Only Handle Ice Cold Water...the Crystal Light Makes Me Feel Bloated...i Have Found That The Campbells Sip Soups Are Great...just Have To Watch The Little Peices In It....but They Are Really Really Good. Wishes To All And Wishes To Me

I was banded on Tuesday so this is my 5th day. I feel pretty good. I can definitely tell when I don't follow the doctor's instructions (like if I drink too quickly or take gulps rather than sips) but I feel much better every day. I did 30 minutes on my treadmill yesterday and today we went to a movie. I'm sleeping well - on my stomach. I still get fatigued and need to nap and I still get sore if I bend over too deeply. But I have noticed drastic improvements each day since surgery. I'm trying to wean myself off the pain meds but am not quite there yet (although I'm cutting down to half prescription meds and half regular tylenol). I agree with other posters. At 12 days out you should call your doctor tomorrow and report your problems.

I think you'll start to feel much better once you can have some real food. As soon as I got fish/chicken/veggies/eggs/oatmeal, I felt 100% better. The Protein Drinks are fine and certainly help but like I said, as soon as I got real and natural nutrients I felt like myself within a day.

Pearly~

We were banded the same day and I totally agree! A smashed to all hell boiled egg with a tad of light mayo and salt and pepper was the best thing I ever had. I feel almost 100% except for port pain. I feel for these new guys b/c I was right there a week or so ago, I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and thought oh shit what did I just do????

Hi Beginnings!

Don't feel bad! I was banded not that long ago. I kept reading how folks were back to normal in a very short time. I WAS NOT! It took me a good 3-4 weeks before I felt OK again. Did you have a hernia repair at the same time? I truly believe that they cause more pain and take longer to heal than the lapband.

It takes a while for you to heal. Don't worry that you are not healing as fast as you think you should. Call you doctor if you really believe you have an unusual problem. I don't think the belching is a unusual problem. I had the hiccups, which hurt! Try to take small sips of stuff. I know it seems like you are sipping all day, but try it and see if it works.

As far as sleeping. I would start out in my bed with tons of pillows to prop myself up. I would end up spending part of the night on the sofa. It was maybe 2 weeks before I could sleep in my bed all night.

Don't worry, this is the hard part. Let your body heal.

I would recommend movement. I put in a call to my MOM about 4 days after my surgery and I was paceing the floor unloading all my frustration and The next day I felt better. My back continued to hurt for a good week but that too passed. I think it was the gas they fill the body cavity with to do the surgery. It took a while to pass.

I found a tri-pillow was a real life-saver.... didn't stretch abdomen so much as lying flat. It also allowed me to sleep a little on my side (I used hot Water bottle on a pillow next to my abdomen when on my side for support and comfort) I too agree that you should call your surgeon!

regards Bosh