Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - Reference Books on Lap Band

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create my own mini library of lap band refernce books, but am having difficulties locating the following books on-line:

"Lap-Band for Life" by Dr. Ariel Ortiz Lagardere. [Another thread warned not to purchase this book from the website, which I think was lap-bandforlife.com, as they have severely overcharged customers for the book, which has a list proce of $14.95. Someone suggested that the book could be ordered through a reputable bookseller like Barnes and Noble, but they do not carry the book and the ISBN number that was provided (1-58308-233-6) is actually for a book on Lasik eye surgery.

I also want to get my hand on "Living with Your Lap-Band" by Drs. Ren and Fielding, but Barnes & Noble doesn't carry it, nor could I find it on any website.

I am usually an Internet Shopping 'Queen', but I can't seem to be able to find either of these books.

Please Help!

Barbara,

Terrel, TX

PS - I was able to find and purchase the following:

"Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding" by Jessie Ahroni [great book!],

and I found two cookbooks for 'after' Weight Loss Surgery. "Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Patt Levine; William B. Inabnet; Meredith

Urban, and "Before & After - Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Susan Nuziato Leach.

Just a quick update....

I went to the website for Dr. Ortiz's book and they now have a Paypal payment option, so I believe the issues with people's credit cards being grossly overcharged can be avoided. I went ahead and ordered the book for $12.95, plus $4.00 ship/handling.

I still can't find a source for Drs. Ren and Fielding's book "Living with Your Lap-Band", so any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I tried using the Link to order Dr. Ren's book for several days, but all I get is the dreaded message. "The page cannot be displayed"

This occurs on my workplace workstation as well as my home PC.

Is there any change that you have the web address without the "..." in the middle?

Any help would be most appreciated!

If you really want to order it: thinforlife.med.nyu.edu

Order details for 'thin for life' are on the front page - it is $25 and only being sold through Australia. It too has a dodgy ISBN.

Hey,

I am building up my own LapBand library, too. I didn't find Jessie Ahroni's book that informative. I would have 6 months ago, but it's a very simple book. Great resourse for those new to the lap band world. I also cannot find Ren and Fielding's book. I tried to order it throught the thinforlife.med.nyu.edu, but no one has answered my many e-mails. I am seeing Dr. Ren on Tuesday so I will ask her how to get her book. :-)

I am currently reading "The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients" by Colleen Cook. Great book. I highly recommend it.

Also, I have subscriptions to 2 magazines. One is www.wlslifestyles.com and the other is from www.obesityhelp.com Both are about $25 yearly and also have back issues available. I bought all the back issues of both magazines and I really learned a lot. I recommend both mags.

I ordered the "Eating Well" by Levine and "Exodus from Obesity" by Paula Peck and "This is not Brain Surgery..." by Teri Holtzclaw from Amazon, but haven't received them yet.

Kirsten - Dr. Ren no longer has her name on the cover of the book and there is no reference to her or NYU medical centre inside the book any more (at least the copy available for sale through their brisbane office here in Australia). It seems like they are selling the book only through Australia to recoupe their costs and rid themselves of the poor quality copies. If they are selling a better quality revised book through the USA id be interested, the one they are selling here with the same title has a lot of errors and 100's of spelling mistakes - lap band is even spelt wrong on the back cover! Very dissapointing. Most of the books out for banding seem to be aimed at pre-op's or immediate post op. I'd love for a long-term focused book to come out, especially with maintenece information.

I bought Dr.Ren's book. I ordered it right from her website at NYU Medical Center. I thought the book was horrible. I really didn't get any information that I didn't already know from Inamed or my own doctor. I didn't think it was worth the money at all. Very small paperback, typos all over the place and some of the pages of the book were actually upside down (and not on purpose).

Dr.Ren and Dr.Fielding have excellent reputations. I was embarassed for them when I got my book. Only my opinion though.

I also heard Dr. Ortiz's book is the same- lots of typos, pages out of order- and I hear he has an excellent reputation also. Such a shame that these doctors who have so much knowledge has lousy publishers.

I still recommend the two magazines (see my email above). They have lots of info for all people in all points of their WLS journey.

Kirsten - I have a 2nd edition copy of Ortiz book and it doesn't have any faults that I can note. He must have had it well revised. I wouldn't blame the publishers for Ren/Fieldings book - many of the errors are factual, not just spelling. Like how many calories you can expect burn an hour from walking and things like that, and how many calories you need to burn in theory to lose 1kg of fat... stuff like that which will really confuse people who haven't done their research. I sure hope they put out a revised issue, I felt embarassed for them too.

Hello,

Just wanted thank Cammy, Kristen, Maureen and Banded&Happy for their contributions to this thread. I used the link on thinforlife.med.nyu.edu to email Rhonnie to get details on how to order "How to Live with the Lap-Band".

I subscribed to the ObesityHelp magazine about a month agao and am still waiting for the first issue, and back issues, to arrive. I had not heard of WLSLifestyles.com, so I'm checking into that next, as well as the other books that Kristen mentioned.

I really do apprecuate the input - this group is the very best!

Guest lapbanded

Hi do u own dr ren and fieldings book how to live with a lap band? im in USA and have been searching forever!

if u know of anywhere ot purchase or are willing to sell ur own please let me know

thank u so much!

My Band surgeon required me to purchase Picture Perfect Weightloss. It was $30.00 in the store, but I found it at Amazon.com for $6.80 (and that included postage!) It's not about the band, it's about learning portion sizes, so it relates to any weight loss program.