Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signs when you are full ..I hiccup

I have found a consistent trend with the band. When I have eaten enough, I will hiccup/burp. When this first happened, I ate a little more and felt stuffed and kind of uncomfortable. Does anyone else experience this when the band is full? I am glad that this happens because it helps me better manage my portions. By the way, I have a AP Standard 10cc band and got 4cc's during surgery.

Yep the hiccup is a great indicator, even for drinking. I notice if I drink too much too soon... usually a gulp... Ill start to hiccup and I hate it because if I need to cough (I don't burp up) liquid will come up through my nose... not very comfortable.

the sign that I now get when I know I am getting full is butterflies in my tummy it werid but its my sign if I eat anymore I will throw it back up :rolleyes2:

I feel a heaviness in my chest. I will stop and then like 5 minutes later the hiccups start. Don't understand that because it doesn't happen all the time and with all different kinds of food and drink.

I hiccup too. I find that it happens in the morning more often that at any other time. My band seems to be tighter in the morning. Also I hiccup when I don't chew properly or eat too fast.

Thanks, guys! I was eating lunch as I was reading through this thread, and you all convinced me to stop when I wasn't hungry and put the leftovers back in the fridge! That's a real accomplishment, believe it or not - the word "leftovers" usually doesn't exist in my vocabulary.

Part of the learning process for me is recognising when my hunger has been satisfied as opposed to when I feel full. I also need to unlearn the compulsion to finish everything on my plate, no matter how much there is. or no matter whether I am still hungry or not.

The "diet mentality" that I have adapted throughout the years tells me that I am entitled to the food which I am entitled to. Putting food back or stopping short is like cheating myself! What a plan-centered mentality, as opposed to recognising and acting on my own needs!

I need to know that eating until I am stuffed or until my plate is empty are false markers. I need to recognise the point at which I am no longer hungry, and stop eating. Since being banded, hiccuping is a sign for me that that point is near. Maybe I need to accept that it means even more than that - that it means it's time to bring my meal to an end.

Edited by bandpal

I sometimes get the hiccups as a sign of being full. The other thing is a pain around my middle, especially in my back.

I went to my first support session the other night and that's what I was saying to everyone Bandpal. I don't know how to stop when I get the signs. If I make a sandwich and I'm full after 1/2 I will always finish it. A couple of times I have stopped and put it in the fridge but it keeps calling to me until I finish it. The conclusion I came to that night is I need to throw it out once I feel full. I know it's a waste of food but better in the bin than in my stomach.

Edited by Sades

I get the hiccups too! But if I get to the burping stage its over, it comes right on up! Its a very good indicator!

Tracy

I hear you REadySteadyGo!! I'm jealous too. I don't get any indication at all until AFTER I finish eating. Then sometimes I'm miserable. I have never PBd so I'm still clueless if I'm overeating enough to stretch my pouch. I would love it if I had some kind of indicator. It's a hit and miss guess for me. Sometimes I can eat a lot, others no.

Unfortunately I haven't noticed any signs until after I've eaten too much. Then I just feel like crap. I get really bad shoulder pains (always the left shoulder.) It hurts to breathe deeply when that happens. Luckily I've only over eaten a few times....I need to look harder for signs BEFORE it starts hurting. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Strangly enough i get a runny nose when im full.

A runny nose is one of my signs too, but for me it means I've eaten too much.