Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! Not covered by ins. self pay

Hello everyone! I was so excited about having this done. I have researched and researched, scheduled the information seminar, I was absolutely sure this was going to be the answer to all my prayers (and believe me I have prayed about it!) today I finally got a human at the insurance company and they tell me that this is a non covered surgerical proceedure. I'm devistated. I want to just go into debt and self pay. I want this that bad. I will never drive a new car, I will work summers (usually I am off) I will give up my mulch and spring flowers....But is it fair to ask that of my family? To put the entire family in debt because I'm tired of being fat and cannot solve the problem on my own?! I have a daughter turning 16 in June, and a 12 year old son. I didn't think twice about dropping 8k on braces for both of them only to still nag every night about brushing, but feel that if I do this for me I am being selfish. I'm in easter PA and don't know where to go next if I do decide on self pay does every dr. do it? Any information would be very helpful! Should I pay more and stay close to home or go to Mexico??? Help, wise ones, help :tongue_smilie:

I just did the self-pay thing. I look at as in investment in my future. You can't take money with you and your kids need you more than they need material things. Care Credit will let you pay it over 10 years of you need to & there is no penalty for paying it off early.

Best of luck to you!

Hi welcome. First take a deep breathe ! I would check into the insurance a bit more , do they have it as an exclusion ? Ask your doctors office about it, they would know and can check into it . As for going into debt ? Thats a personal choice, no one can tell you yes or no . But i can tell you for me it was worth it . We filed chapter 7 3 yrs ago due to medical bills racked up from my son's eye surgeries. So it was a tough one for me to put us back inot debt . BUT my wonderful husband said DO IT AND DO IT NOW !!!

He would not let ME Say no . Is it fair to ask family ? Again a personal choice, I financed a loan from medicredit for $8000 and borrowed $4k from my parents.

ALL doctors are self pay because most insurance will not pay for it .

To stay in the US OR not again personal choice.

I live in Austin TX and really could have gone to Mexico or somewhere else.

I chose San Antonio . It was cheaper than Austin , but a bit more expensive than Mexico .

Feel free to email me if you would like to talk more.

Mindy

My insurance doesn't cover any kind of WLS either. I was trying to figure out how to come up with 15K but they found out that I had a hiatal hernia. My insurance will cover that. At least 80% of it. So my doctor agreed to fix my hernia and place the band while he was in there for 5K. So all in all it's costing me around $5400. That was a whole lot easier to manage than 15.

Good luck and let us know how things work out!

I was mid-way through my 6 months course and found at that my insurance didn't cover it due to an employer clause, not because I wasn't qualified.

I resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't meant to have the surgery. Within a few days I did some research and found a company CreditCare that provides a credit card limit for medical procedures. I struggled with whether a $15,000 debt was worth it. My answer, of course, my life is worth that and much more! As one other bandie said, it is an investment, one that will give you a better quality of life and a longer one too!

I had my surgery two weeks ago, I'm down 12 pounds so far and thankful every day that I did it! I hope this helps!

I understand what you are going through. I am a self pay. It seems like a lot of money but I must say I can not be any happier. My children were loosing out by me being over weight. I could not od the things I wanted to do. When I talked to my husband he was totally supportive. I could of had surgery in Mexicao for significantly cheaper but I am a nurse and was concerned about the potential complications and not having resources available in Mexico. When I had my surgery my doctor found a nodule on my liver and removed it, luckily it was nothing :blushing:. I would not have wanted a docotr in Mexico to cut on my liver out of fear of bleeding complications. Long story short I am about 9 months post surgery and have lost 80 pounds, I am sure I will reach 100 pounds by 1 year. I am wearing a size 14 and I feel FANTASTIC!!!!! My children and I are taking walks, camping, and doing all the things I wanted to do. Roller skating is next... Have we had to cut back a little to pay for the cost of ther surgery...yes we have. But if I had to do it all over again I would cut any corner I had to just to feel the way I do today.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Hi Sandi, I was self-pay too. I just want to say good luck and echo the other, excellent advice that's been given above. If you decide to pursue this as a self-pay, make sure you research your doctor thoroughly. If you decide to go the Mexico route, look for one of WasABubbleButt's posts--in her signature she has an excellent link to how to research a Mexican surgeon. Of course, there are a few lower-cost surgeons in the US, too, and quite a few people on these boards who've happily gone that route.

One other thing I'll add is that doctors don't like treating someone else's patient. If you end up going anywhere outside your local area for surgery, whether it's Mexico or Las Vegas or Colorado or Texas or Timbuktu, expect it to be a hassle to find a local doctor who'll do your fills and follow-up. Especially if you go to Mexico, which seems to render you radioactive to most doctors in the US, nevermind that the care I received there was far superior to any I've ever received here.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

PURE GENIUS! I never thought about getting my hiatal hernia repaired and just happen to have the surgeon put in a lap band at the same time. I just need to check out my surgical coverage.

I was also self pay, and searched for one that was affordable and in the US. Not that the Mexican surgeons aren't good, I was just worried about the cost of aftercare (fills, or complications). I found Dr. Kirshenbaum from Denver Colorado for $9950. He includes his preop appointments, and post op care for 3 months. Also, his fills cost $15 AFTER three months. For me a plane ticket to Denver plus my fill comes out about the same as I would pay here. And you can always try to find someone locally who will give you fills. I wish you luck in your search! And think of the debt this way, If you want to be around to see grandchildren, you might want to invest this in YOUR future.

I was self pay in Mexico.

Currently I am saving more money on food than ever so it is paying for itself in the long run.

My problem with if I had done it in the US is that if I move (which is a HUGE possibility) I have to go around finding yet another new doctor to take care of my fills just as though I had done it outside the US. And it would have been about double the cost. So I just opted for the cheaper route. You can read my blog or thread about the experience in Mexico as it is a little different than in the US. The hospitals are far cleaner but the service was completely different.

Good luck!

Hey Girl!

My insurance does not pay for anything that has to do with weight lost for any reason. So therefore I am also self-pay and could not afford what the price was going to cost me here. I went to Mexico and would do it again. It ended up costing me 7,000.00 + airline tickets for me and my husband.

I did go into debt for the money, but it was worth it. I now know several people where I live in Oklahoma that has also go to Mexico and they would not done any different now.

I got great care there and had wonderful doctor and nurses. They treated my husband great and he was allowed to stay with me the whole time. They even brought him food so that he did not have to leave the hospital. The hospital was so clean, modern, and very up to date. Dr. Rod was great and answered all the questions I had and there was not language barriers.

I was able to find a fill doctor that does a great job. I found him through a threat on this website. The doctor I use is in Dallas and he is great. You can get a lot of support and get answers to most of your question. This is a great site!!!!

I hope this helps.

I had mine done thru true results and care credit would not finance me so true results financed me in house without pulling a credit report. I was partial insurance and partial self pay

I had mine done thru true results and care credit would not finance me so true results financed me in house without pulling a credit report. I was partial insurance and partial self pay

How did that work out for ou?

It was awesome. My insurance paid for a hernia repair and I paid for the Lapland (5500) my payments are 190 a month for 3 years. That includes 12 months of fills and aftercare also. Like I said no credit check at all. They have you apply for care credit but if you are denied. They. Finance you no questions asked