Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We were all told repeatedly that the band is just a tool. Almost to the point of that making it seem like it really wasn't going to DO much to help us.

Then back when discussing it with my DH it come up, and he put it all in perspective for me.

If I told you to go in the back yard and dig a hole----just you, nothing else....you COULD do it, if you were motivated....and worked really hard. You could scuff the ground with your toe and then begin scooping out the ground with your hands. You would do fair, until you hit hard ground, or heaven forbid a rock!

But now if I give you a tool---say a shovel or a pick----you can dig a much bigger hole in way less time!!! That is not to say you won't ever hit hard earth or rocks---but you have help manuevering around them.

If however, I give you that tool---the shovel or pick----and you think that IT will do all the work, you would be wrong, the shovel would just lie there on the ground---doing nothing. YOU must pick it up, and work it. But it still makes the job you are doing incredibly easier!!!!

Sounds silly-----but when someone tells you it is just a tool---it IS, and we all KNOW that, but making it something that makes sense, makes it usable to me!!!

Anyway---just thought I would share the thought....

Kat

Kat, I LOVE that analogy! I'm fixin to dig a big**s hole!:tongue_smilie:

Another thing to remember is that we all have giant, difficult things we have gone through in our lives or accomplished in our lives. This will be another of those. We know we have the strengh and fortitude because we have survived being heavy - which we all know is no picnic! So, if I look at it that way, it's just another thing (a challenging, big thing, but just another one) to get through and learn from and grow from - or SHRINK from :lol:

Glad the analogy helped y'all too---it did me. I'd go tell DH so, but he is out in the yard---and he might give me a TOOL to use--and I am feeling lazy!!!

Kat

ok.. im really excited about my Lap Band.. but i keep running into people that burst my bubble about it!.. people are always telling me that they know someone that had the Lap Band and didnt really loose weight.. or they lost weight but they said they werent allowed to ever eat carbs again and stuff like that and had to exercise alot.. im planning on exercising and im prepared for the new lifestyle.. but the way people make it sound is that the strict diet is whats making them loose weight not that band!

i hate when people burst my bubble.. im getting the lap band def.. i havent had any doubts about getting it.. im just scared i wont loose weight or atleast as much as i want to!

:scared2:

OH WOW!!

I really thought I was the only one that opted to keep this HUGE life change to myself!!

Only my immediate family and my boss know what is happening, I work in an orthopedic O.R. after being in general surgery for years and I have heard a lot of self righteous people discuss this. All the stories seem to have become urban legends at this point.

But as long as we trust in our support teams and believe in ourselves, we can do this.

Thank you for your post Jaimee21005, I was just kind of glancing thru and your post caught my eye and motivated me to step outside myself and comment.

YOU ROCK!

:blushing:

Jaimee, sounds like you have done your homework. Here's one thing you may or may not know: The restriction happens very gradually, so it's real important to follow all the rules your doc gives you.

For what it's worth, I'm one of those people that has issues with the amount of food that I could eat at one setting, and the band has been a Godsend for me.

Jaimee, sounds like you have done your homework. Here's one thing you may or may not know: The restriction happens very gradually, so it's real important to follow all the rules your doc gives you.

For what it's worth, I'm one of those people that has issues with the amount of food that I could eat at one setting, and the band has been a Godsend for me.

thats exactly what i like to hear! how much weight have u lost so far?

Jaimee21005, I am being banded May 5th and have been hearing the same "unsucess stories" and feeling the same uncertainties. And Kat817, you made a great point about the tool. I am dedicated to making the life-style changes and have been doing Weight Watchers and exercise, and have lost 50 pounds. What's the difference in using Weight Watchers as a tool and using the band as a tool?

Jaimee21005, I am being banded May 5th and have been hearing the same "unsucess stories" and feeling the same uncertainties. And Kat817, you made a great point about the tool. I am dedicated to making the life-style changes and have been doing Weight Watchers and exercise, and have lost 50 pounds. What's the difference in using Weight Watchers as a tool and using the band as a tool?

The band provides restriction so that you are full on a less amount of food. But the band does not make your food choices for you - as you say this is a lifestyle change - I use what I have learned in weight watches (making good food choices eating a well balanced diet) and my band in combination - 2 great tools to help me lose the weight..

I agree, having some knowledge of WHAT to eat, makes banding that much better! You have a small space to fill with food, and it needs to be quality food to get proper nutrition.

To continue with the shovel/tool analogy though, and answer the question----WW would be like someone telling you how to hold your hand to make scooping the dirt out of the hole easier--giving you GOOD direction---but still not the PHYSICAL help that the band/shovel is.

When you combine the smart way of eating with the restriction and hunger reduction of the band---it is a double edged sword---and it works!!!

Kat

Jaimee, I'm down close to 50 lbs.

Katieann, WW helps you make better choices, and teaches you Portion Control. But for me, after I'd get done lifting weights at the gym, portion control went out the window. I knew in my head how much I should eat, but my stomach was telling me "more, more....just a little more". That's where the band has really helped me. It squashed my monster appetite down to where I can control it.

i can tell you, you will loose weight. i had my band done on aug 30. i have lost 33lbs, does not sound like a lot, but i have not been eating the best that i could, too much time at home to think about what can go down! it works, it really does. i am doing well, i feel so much better and know that i am going to get down and losing it slower is much better anyway. keep going, keep positive and remember it is for YOU no one else. I watched my mom, and aunt (mom's twin) die of complications from diabetes due to uncontrolled obesity, i don't want that for my kids.... or me. keep positive, it is difficult, it isn't worth it if it isn't difficult. just remember to keep talking to people about it, even if they are not giving you the thumbs up, just remember you can go back to them after you have shed the lbs and stick your tongue at them to show them it and you are worth it.