Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion size or nutrition value?

I'm wondering do most banders go by portion size of a meal(weight, cups) or by the calories/protein content of the meal?

I know that a well "tuned" band restricts the amount you can eat but I see folks all over with different eating habits. Some folks eat 3oz of Protein and 2oz of "other" at a meal and that can really go over the 1/2 cup that other folks say they eat comfortably.

I mean if I'm eating 1 to 2 cups of food at a meal and keeping calories in mind and stay within my range for weight loss. I'm satisfied. Does that make a difference? I'm I "breaking the rules"?

I'm newly banded. I'm losing 1.5lbs a week, which is considered healthy. I keep track of my calories and protein. I haven't had a fill yet but if I continue to lose this way I won't need one. (wishful thinking)

I'm a little confused. :confused2:

I know it's pretty cliche on this site, but everyone is different. You have to learn to listen to your body and the signals it gives you. And often you can't do that alone. Talk with your surgeon or his office about what you're going through. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You won't be charged for their advice over the phone. At least you shouldn't. :tongue:

For me personally, if I can eat 1-2 cups of food in one meal, then it's probably time for a fill. Maybe. I will find I can do this once in a while just out of the blue and for no reason. But on other days I struggle just to get Soup down. So if it's just one meal where I can eat more than 1 cup, I'll let it slide but make a note of it. If the next day it's the same, and the day after that, then I'll consider other possibilities.

Where am I in my menstrual cycle? For many this isn't an issue, but for me it plays a big part. My hunger will increase 5-7 days before my period is due. Sometimes this is the sole culprit and I have to tough it out for a while. I'm usually not hungry for all of those days, but there's usually at least one during that period where I could eat a horse and nibble on the jockey.

The next question I ask myself if it's not due to my menstrual cycle is, am I still losing weight? If the answer is yes, I'll hold off and try other forms of Portion Control. Perhaps adding more Protein and/or drinking more Water. If I'm not losing weight, this is another sign that a fill is needed. So I'll call my surgeon's office and talk to them and ask for their opinion. I'll also ask the opinion of my many friends on this site, and then make my decision from there.

There's no template guideline for anybody. You'll definitely become more tuned to the messages your body sends you and it takes time to learn what they mean. And sometimes, as I've discovered, body messages can continually change and you have to change along with them. The smart ones pay attention to the messages they're being sent. Sometimes it'll take you a little while to figure out what they are and what they mean, but that's all part of the process. Yes, it's frustrating, but the rewards far outweigh the burdens. At least they do for me. :smile2:

Neither and both.

When I eat, I choose a reasonable portion and I try to make sure its most often nutrient dense food - healthy stuff.

I dont count anything, calories, Protein or carbs.

I'm newly banded, just 13 days out, but I am worried about the same thing. I can eat more than I should. I think portions do matter because you don't want to stretch the pouch. Isn't that one of the reasons we can't have carbonated beverages because of the air bubbles stretching the stoma? I'm trying to be careful to keep my portions down even if it is within my calorie range.

Just a thought.

anymore veteran bander want to chime in?

I guess I'm a veteran bandster.....

Portion Control is key for me

I can have a doughnut...but only 1/4 of one

I can have pizza....but only 1 slice

I can have junk....but only a small portion

and at the same time

I can have a chicken sandwich...but only 1/2

I can have soup...but only 1/2 my original amount

For me, I can't eat the quantity I used to pre-band. I have no restrictions in my food...only quantity.

But it's all choices. I haven't had a doughnut in a month or so. Have pizza about 1x a week now. I eat healthier but do have my snack from time to time.

And not once have I counted calories.

But everyone is different.

We all eat differently. For some meals, I'm really tight, and my portions are tiny. In these cases, I go the extra mile to try and get the few bites to be really nutritious bites.

Later in the day when I can eat larger portions, I will relax more on what I eat.

To answer your question, I think, I have a mental tab of calories in something. I don't track calories necessarily, but like carbs - I'm just kind of aware of the ballpark figure I'm eating, just because I know what I'm eating. At the same time, I don't measure out my food.

I take some, and I eat until I no longer feel hungry. It doesn't matter to me if that takes a cup, 400 calories, or 1 oz.

Ruby,

I'm not offering any advice - just wanted to tell you that you gave me a giggle at work with the nibbling on the jockey thing! What a mental image!!

Robin

I got banded march 27, and now I can eat almost anything and any size portion. My question is "What am I suppose to eat and know the Dr. said soft mushy diet. But I am wondering does anyone have a meal plan for people in the 3week to 7week post surgery diet. I don't know what I should eat and portion size because I am starved.

Andrea:unsure:

I suggest you make sure you're getting in your daily Protein requirements. Also make sure you're getting all of your Water in. Sometimes we confuse hunger with thirst. When you're feeling a little hungry, reach for a bottle of Water first and then if you're still hungry 30 minutes later, have a snack. Snack suggestions would be sugar free Jello or puddings, add a splash of some kind of condiment/sauce to cottage cheese. There are 100 calorie snack packs available at most grocery stores, but if you're going to have one of those, make sure it's only one. If you're still hungry after that, put a stick of gum in your mouth to get you through to designated meal times and sip on your water as well.

I'm guessing you're at the mushy stage of diet, so perhaps different combinations of mashed vegetables. Some of my favorites were carrot and parsnips or rutabaga and squash with some spinach added for texture and fibre, etc.

Fish, ground chicken and turkey, some of the leaner meats that can be chewed up really well, but be careful that you're not eating too much too soon of these things. Remember that the first 6 weeks after surgery you should be concentrating on healing and healing only. That's why sticking in the liquid/mushy stage is important. You don't want to aggravate your band area and suffer complications as a result. You have plenty of time to get onto a controlled diet/weight loss/exercise routine, so don't rush things. I thought back to my son's baby stage and basically made food that I would have made for him both in size and ingredients. Baby food. Fresh, not the canned/bottled stuff. ;)

Exercise. One thing I've learned is that I can't eat chocolate chip Cookies while exercising. :drool: At times when the hunger really gets to me, I'll go for a 20-30 minute stroll outside just to get away from the temptations of food in the fridge and cupboards. You need to break yourself out of old habits that got you into trouble in the first place. It takes a lot of work in the beginning, but if you stick with it, it becomes second nature to have your meals, Snacks and exercises planned for the upcoming day or week.

When choosing an exercise, make sure it's one that you'll enjoy. Or at the very least, one that you don't hate. If you start to feel like exercise is a chore you'd much rather avoid, sooner or later you'll find reasons and excuses to do so. Some people get into a routine that doesn't change at all, but others find they need to keep changing in order to keep things interesting and not get bored with their workout.

I think the best purchase I've made since my lap band has been my iPod. It helps keep me focused when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical and the time goes by really quickly when I'm singing along; in my head, so as not to scare the public :biggrin: On the days when I've forgotten my iPod it seems like it takes twice as long to get through my exercises. :smile:

Hang in there. This is a wonderful journey that at times is very hard, but the rewards of that hard work are SO worth it.

I hope this helps.