Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ty for this list. So does Walmart sell chewable adult Vitamins? I have also been looking for the Protein shakes. My doc told me NOT TO USE slim fast for my pre-op diet he suggested I go tnad get Atkins shakes at walgreens. I have also been shopping around the internet for liquid Vitamins. Any suggestions??? I noticed that you didnt have neosporin on that list for the sutures is there a reason? I mean I would want them to heal as soon as possible.

My dr told me to take chewable Flinstones, I take 2 inthe morning and 2 in the evening. However, I was at Walmart picking them up the other day and I saw liquid adults Centrum. I'm going to ask him about possibly switching to that because Centrum is what they've told me to take once I can take pills. The Flintstones don't taste nearly as yummy as I remember from my childhood. In fact, I gag while chewing them now!

Thank you soooo much... I'm getting banded on Wednesday and this is just what I needed for my shopping trip this weekend...

I have a gift card for Macy's, so I'm going to buy the Magic Bullet Blender! I hear it's a life saver for this surgery!

Hope2BHealthy - You're absolutely right... great suggestions from you too!

Thanks a Bunch!

Thank you for the list. The BBQ tongs scared me too.. I will just have to deal w/ pain. I will grab them for being able pick up things. I am worried that my bed is high and I drive a jeep, the pain i will deal with getting in and out. I brought some of the things on the list, the heating/cooling pad/ tums/ etc. But I am a little scared since I live alone.. I'm being banded in 2 days...

I've been sleeping in the recliner so I wouldn't have such a time getting in and out of bed. I think by tomorrow I'll be good to sleep in bed. As far as the bed and jeep being high... I would think that would be better! I have a grand prix and a tahoe and even with gas being $3.50 a gallon, we drive the tahoe right now bc it's easier to get out of by just stepping down.. not having to pull yourself up. Good luck!!!

Hope2bhealthy,

Please note there are some of us who do have difficulty with bathroom hygiene because of our weight pre-op. It's embarrassing and horrible, but this is where our weight has gotten us. I am 36 with short, short arms so you can guess what it is like with a lot of extra fat. Because I already struggle in this area, I was actually quite relieved to hear about the the toilet tongs, but I found a better product online and ordered it after reading casscity's great list.

And I also wanted to add that I am sure you have the best intentions, but your email was a bit of a downer. Having a "list" gives those of us waiting for surgery something to do; it validates the importance of what we are doing; and it feels empowering to take care of ourselves by getting the things we need. I do believe that many of the items are important - especially if anyone is, like me, going to Mexico.

I appreciate your perspective but I needed to stick up for the list and yes, even the toilet tongs :smile2:

Wishing you success,

Angela

i'd have to say i agree with Plain. there are some essentials, like getting some tylenol and some gas x (the strips taste like crap, but the cherry flavored chewables are really not bad at all). but bbq tongs to wipe your butt with? first, you wont likely be wiping your butt for several days, because you won't be crapping. second, i had absolutely no probs wiping my own butt, thank you. and a kitchen timer to remember to take a sip every 15 minutes? i guess if you need a kitchen timer anyway... A seat belt shoulder pad isn't necessary, b/c you'll likely have the seat laying down anyway. just bring a pillow from home if you want one. don't know why you'd need wet wipes. probably won't need cough drops at all (i didn't), and a little bag will be enough if you do, unless you just like to buy in bulk. like morgan said, definitely don't need stool softener (if you haven't crapped yet after a few days, don't take stool softener. the diarrhea will come without it). the Soup at hand cambell's Soups are actually a really good suggestion. they are already liquid, and a nice size. creamy Tomato is wonderful! i wouldn't go out and buy sweats that are a size larger. you just need whatever you have at home. pajamas or sweats or gym shorts and a tshirt. if you don't have any of these things, then maybe you should get something. but not a size bigger (unless you believe that super tight clothes are your size). the slippers are a good idea. also, something that isn't on your list is one of those grabby hands things for picking stuff up. that would have been very helpful. i guess you could use the bbq tongs for that, but not if you've been wiping your butt with them (which you won't need to). also, you're probably going to be sleeping alot in the first few days, so there's not a real need to go out an buy a lot of movies or books. you'll try to watch a movie and just fall asleep anyway from the pain meds. so rent a couple, or just watch what you have at home. (unless you just really want to buy some movies, then by all means, go ahead.)

sorry for tearing down your list like this, because it was great for you to put it together for everyone. there are some things on there that i wish that i had thought of before my surgery. then again, going to the store to get them got me out of the house. a lot of the items are unnecessary, though, and there isn't any point in going out and spending money on it if you don't need to. and if there is something that you didn't get that you really would like to have, you can always send out your helper.

Someone asked about tums. They will work for heartburn but not for gas.

Simethicone the main ingredient in GasX breaks down gas bubbles in your system. My daughter was colliky(sp?) when she was tiny and her doc perscribed simethicone drops for her that helped.

I don't personally see how gasx would help anyhow since the gas isn't in your digestive system, its in your abdomen where they blow gas into it so the surgeon can see and work. Anyhow we keep gasx in the house already. The chewables aren't to bad. Haven't tried the strips.

Oh and on the tongs issue. Being supersized I know how this is. But you know what helped more then tongs.. A toilet seat riser. Used to make the toilet seat higher for those having issues getting up and down. (cost like 50$ though) My In Laws had one of these (cause mom had a knee replaced) and then eventually replaced it with a actual disability toilet (like 8 in higher then a average). And I found I didn't need a reaching device. Which was SOOOOOOOOOOO nice. lol

I work for a medical supply company. Believe it or not, in catalogues that I order from, they do sell "tongs" for this purpose! They have some other things too, but I just wanted the one who made the suggestion to know, that they're not too far off base at all! :biggrin2:

what do you really feel like after surgery? why do you need a squishy pillow for the car? when do you start feeling better again?

Dont spend tons of money

In 2006 I had a hysterectomy and bought all the items recommended on a similar forum. The shopping cost quite a bit of money, I think around a couple of hundred dollars. When I had my lapband in 2007 I took a more conservative approach, but still ended up spending money on things I didnt use or didnt really need (pill crusher, magic bullet).

My suggestion to those pre op, is to take a look at the list, and if you have some of those items already, put them all together in a box or container, so you dont have to hunt for them after surgery.

If there is anything else you feel you need, you can ask someone to get them for you post-op, or you can wait 72 hours until you are driving yourself again.

I was self pay (16K), so those dollars I spent, could have been better used to pay off my surgery debt.

This is not meant to be contrary to the OP, just something to think about for those on a budget.

Angela,

I am going to mexico alone to be banded by Dr. Zapata on May 22nd. Please tell me how it goes. I will be thinking of you and saying a prayer.

Sandy

The list is being printed as I write...thanks a bunch!!

:thumbup: