Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curves vs. Aquafit - opinions?

Hey all!

I have been a member of Curves for what I think is a year as of May (I have to check my paperwork) and of that year that I have been a member I spent 90% of it not going. I've only started going 3-4x a week for the past 3 or so weeks. I hated it before and I hate it now. I like the concept of the circuit training with all women but in general I just really dislike it. So far I am not one of those people that gets a lot out of exercise and leaves feeling fantastic and pumped up. I leave feeling like I've just wasted 1/2 hr of my life I could be doing ANYTHING else. REALLY, truly dislike it, and over the past month of doing it - still hasn't gotten any better.

So here is my question - at the weight that I am at currently now - would I benefit more from something like Curves or something like Aquafit?

Granted I havent been to Aquafit in years but I plan to do a drop in to see if I like it still... but I love swimming and I love Water.

So why not do both you ask? Well, I can't afford to do both and pay my self-pay band payments at the same time. It's one or the other and I have to decide in the next couple of weeks if I am going to continue with my Curves membership for the next year or what ( you're locked in for a year). If I do drop the Curves and go Aquafit the membership for Aquafit also includes membership use to all their gym facilities (treadmills etc) however at this moment a co-ed gym kind of freightens me!

Let me know what you think!

Much love as always,

Ang

I hated Curves. Aside from being a medicore workout at best (let's face it, resistance machines aren't ideal for everyone, especially when you're taller than the target audience). I was self-conscious having to be in a circle with not much to look at other than other people. I hated having to deal with the crotch/butt sweat from the person who used the machine right before me. The music was lame, the little pep rally activities were lame, etc. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

That being said, I don't kno what auqafit is, but could it be worse?

Sounds like Water aerobics, and I would do those in a heartbeat if I could find ap lace near me that offered classes.

I hated Curves. Aside from being a medicore workout at best (let's face it, resistance machines aren't ideal for everyone, especially when you're taller than the target audience). I was self-conscious having to be in a circle with not much to look at other than other people. I hated having to deal with the crotch/butt sweat from the person who used the machine right before me. The music was lame, the little pep rally activities were lame, etc. Can you tell I'm not a fan?

That being said, I don't kno what auqafit is, but could it be worse?

Sounds like Water aerobics, and I would do those in a heartbeat if I could find ap lace near me that offered classes.

Hehe I don't have the tall issue as I am only 5'7" but I have hard that Curves doesn't work so good for the taller ladies. I don't mind the other people in a circle thing and actually the time that I go is after I get of work around 4:45pm so it's not super busy then but it's just ... I don't know what it is that I really don't like going to it.

Aquafit = Water aerobics yup, same thing. There are a couple of places here that offer it - one has a better schedule I could do it every day of the week if I so chose to.

I haven't done Curves per say, but I did join spa lady at the end of November (all women all the time) and they have a sprint circuit series of machines that are supposed to be similar (in two lines so you only have to look at others if they are directly across from you, but the sweat is still an issue :eek:).

I do 20 or so minutes of elliptical (about 1 and 1/2 miles- I work up a really good sweat), then the circuit (24 minutes) and then 25 minutes of tread mill (another 1 and 1/2 miles). Just doing the circuit wouldn't be enough of a work out for me.

I loved doing aqua size in the past, but can't go in the Water right now for extended periods because of other physical issues. I am not sure it would be enough cardio though great resistance. How about deep Water running?

I know you are intimidated by mixed sex gyms, but can you gather your courage and go to a gym that has both pool and dry land equipment? Believe me the hot bodied men at the gym are checking out the other hot bodied men and women at the gym and aren't paying any attention to us :thumbup:.

If you don't love curves don't waste your money. You have been good for 3 weeks, but since you hate it you will most probably return to your old habits and not go. Now if you can find something that you love, you are soo much more apt to go. See if there are any womens gyms in your neighborhood.

I haven't done Curves per say, but I did join spa lady at the end of November (all women all the time) and they have a sprint circuit series of machines that are supposed to be similar (in two lines so you only have to look at others if they are directly across from you, but the sweat is still an issue :eek:).

I do 20 or so minutes of elliptical (about 1 and 1/2 miles- I work up a really good sweat), then the circuit (24 minutes) and then 25 minutes of tread mill (another 1 and 1/2 miles). Just doing the circuit wouldn't be enough of a work out for me.

I loved doing aqua size in the past, but can't go in the Water right now for extended periods because of other physical issues. I am not sure it would be enough cardio though great resistance. How about deep Water running?

I know you are intimidated by mixed sex gyms, but can you gather your courage and go to a gym that has both pool and dry land equipment? Believe me the hot bodied men at the gym are checking out the other hot bodied men and women at the gym and aren't paying any attention to us :thumbup:.

I'm going to do a couple drop in's to the aqua fit to see if I enjoy it as much as I think I might. Membership to there also includes membership to their entire facility/all programs - so there's the weights, treadmill, etc but it is coed so I'd have to get past my issues with that lol.

If you don't love curves don't waste your money. You have been good for 3 weeks, but since you hate it you will most probably return to your old habits and not go. Now if you can find something that you love, you are soo much more apt to go. See if there are any womens gyms in your neighborhood.

Yah I've only gone to Curves 1x this week *sigh*.

Unfortunately Curves is the only ladies only gym in my town.

If you dont love something you just wont do it, so that's the most obious thing to consider.

Personally, I think Curves is a pretty good workout, but you have to be dedicated to MAKE it a good workout. What they say about it being for every fitness level is true - I can get my heart rate up and keep it up and I'm very fit. But most people once they're fitter prefer a more traditional gym, and I definitely do too, I dont think you get really great results from hydraulic machines. I'd rather go to the gym, the only reason I go to Curves is that I've just started working once a week as a trainer there and I'm expected to work out at the end of my shift. Believe it or not, even fit as I am, I have toned up considerably in a month doing the Curves workout. But most people dont do it that way and to be honest, the instructors are of questionable knowledge, they really dont teach them much , and they seem to often spend their time chatting to the people they know, not watching what the whole group is doing.

I dont think its enough exercise either, I always come home and do 40 minutes on the treadmill. They really should put treadmills, ellipticals and bikes in Curves gyms.

For me, if I have to get wet then its an activity I wont do more than once in a while. I could never commit to a Water activity four or five times a week.

But if you dont like it, you'd be made to pay for it becuase you'll end up not going.

Edited by Jachut

My mom's DR. told her that Curvse is a waste of time, and I totally agree, i went for a little while and hated it. The Aquafit will make you lose weight, aqua arobics is suppose to be fabulous for weight loss and muscle toning. I would love to do it, but I can't seem to find anywhere around here that offers it. Plus aqua arobics is soooo much better on your joints, knees hips ect. Go for it!!

weight.png

I did something like Curves here called the Women's Fitness Express or something like that. It was okay the first few times, but after that I was bored. Some people wouldn't change stations and that was annoying to me. I paid for a few weeks to try it out and didn't go back. I think I would have liked it more if the circuit was in addition to other stuff. They just had one treadmill, hula hoops, balls, jump ropes, etc.

Aquafit sounds fun. I am going to look it up and see if we have anything like it here. My best friend just started Water classes at the YMCA and she really loves it. I told her I would come with her one day to try it, but I really don't want to join the Y again.

I am looking for something I can enjoy. I am thinking of taking boxing classes. We have something here calling Boxing 2 Be Fit that I keep hearing about.

I was the same as you, except I stayed a member for 3 years. It gets really boring doing the same thing over and over. The hours suck, too. I like to workout on Sunday afternoon to get a jump start on the week and they aren't open then. Plus, I didn't really like jogging on those boxes. I felt like an idiot! The owner at mine would always get on my case and say I wasn't working hard enough. The women at mine were oppossed to weight loss surgery and I would hear them rant and rave about how it is the easy way out. One lady even told me when I was considering the band that a friend of hers drank one coke and the carbonation made her band explode in her stomach. I got out of there before my surgery so I didn't have to hear stories like that anymore. Now that I have my band, I have switched to 24 hour fitness. I like that I can go anytime and there are lots of choices if I get bored.

What about joining the Y ? They are all different I know, but the one near me has aquafit and a gym, and a host of other types of classes. When I was shopping for a gym a few months ago I was shocked at how comparable a "real" gym was to curves. (Curves was $45 per month and the Y was $52)

I think you have to pick something you love to do even if it's not the best exercise. I spent the past 10 years ice dancing and it's not a big aerobic workout, but it was fun and I was willing to do it. At one point I was doing it 6-10 hours a week! That's way better than not doing anything. Which is what I'm dong right now. :smile2:

I went to Curves for a while and I loved it.

-I loved the hydraulic machines because I always worry with traditional ones that I'm using too much or too little weight. I can control the hydraulic ones so that I get the perfect amount of resistance.

-I also loved that it was a bunch of unfit ladies and not a bunch of gym rats.

-I loved that if I was doing the machine wrong, I'd get corrected right away. When I go to the gym I can *never* get the attention of the people who work there. They are either chatting up the hot chicks or hiding from the customers.

I hate the hours and the location though. It wasn't convenient so I stopped going.

We have a gym at work that is free and you can even hire a personal trainer as there are several who are contracted with the company. They have pilates and yoga classes, too, that are run by a combination of employees and a contractor. So I'm going to try that.

First I need to have a week where I'm not out at doctor's appointments several times a week though!

I can't believe a dr would say that Curves is a waste of time. Any exercise is better than none in my book. I was a member of Curves for 2 years. You have to be devoted and really like it, if you don't you won't go. After 2 years I needed and wanted more so I joined the YMCA. It wasn't that much more than Curves (they also have financial aid if needed). The one I go to has a full gym, olympic size pool, child care, classes (yoga, dance, pillates, spin, Water AEROBICS). I have to say that I enjoy going there, I take my son and he swims and hangs out in the teen room while I work out. I did yoga for the first time last week and enjoyed that as well. It is definately worth looking into if there is one close to you!

The place that has the aquafit Water aerobics is actually the YMCA so I would have full access to their facility if I joined up with them and it's the same price as Curves ($46 a month).

Thank you for all the input and advice, I love to hear it. I'm going to dig out my swimsuit, shave my legs (lol) and give aquafit a couple test drives see what I think and make my decision from there. I cant afford to join until I can end my Curves membership (June 16) so I have plenty of time to do a couple of drop in's at the Y ($5.75 drop in fee).

I've done Curves and Water aerobics. My vote is for Water aerobics. I got toned FAST and the weight kept coming off (I had hit a plateau).

Curves was great, but the hours never worked well for me and there was never a spot in the parking lot, which translated into there wasn't a spot available in "the circle".

This thread has renewed my desire to get into water aerobics again. I'm off to call my local Y!